Kiting since: 2050
Gear: too much

Re: 2019 Slingshot Turbine

Postby Gonzolinho » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:11 am

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:52 am
lisaped wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:43 pm
I don't intend to be cool. It is not personal info. Why not to know the heroes of kiteworld from Slingshot?
So could you tell us a little about your feelings toward Slingshot? Maybe discuss your experiences?
my guess is one of the fired designers :lol:
Just have to read all his/her/its other postings and you know everything.
Don´t feed the troll

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 am

Gonzolinho wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:11 am
my guess is one of the fired designers :lol:
Just have to read all his/her/its other postings and you know everything.
Don´t feed the troll
I did do that (viewed past posts) and saw he has bashed other brands, with or without examples/evidence. To me, it seems to likely be a personality issue. Still, I would like to hear more on from him so I can make the "troll" judgement myself. Given that many of his posts are critical of other brands, I am not so sure it is all trolling. Though, I am fairly sure that it may take some doing to get an articulate explanation out of him given that he comes across as fairly irate.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Lake Arena CR, Cocoa Beach FL, Ivanpah CA, Lake Meredith Tx, lake Huron Mi, Metro Park MI ** 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV.
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 15m LEI Slingshot Turbine, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Only having one 'new' kite in my quiver, until recently. 2016 15m Turbine. It opened up kiting for me. Giving me success both in water and on snow. My recent purchase of a 2018 17m Contra was supposed to be a bigger improvement. :roll: Not so fast! Turns slower, ok to be expected I quess, less pull, less lift. Selling the New Contra and keeping my poor beatup repeatedly repaired Turbine. :bye:

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:07 pm

Anthonyshopguy wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:39 pm
Only having one 'new' kite in my quiver, until recently. 2016 15m Turbine. It opened up kiting for me. Giving me success both in water and on snow. My recent purchase of a 2018 17m Contra was supposed to be a bigger improvement. :roll: Not so fast! Turns slower, ok to be expected I quess, less pull, less lift. Selling the New Contra and keeping my poor beatup repeatedly repaired Turbine. :bye:
I have had similar experiences verified by lending out the kites to others. Case in point - 15m HQ "Matrixx I" fast turning, easy looping, fast flying powerful light wind machine - then 18m HQ "Matrixx II" slow turning, impossible to loop low, gradual sluggishly powered, and much less capable than the smaller 15m of the previous version.

That said, I can hand off the 18m Matrixx II to a beginner and they will be pretty safe. I cannot do that with the previous 15m version as it is guaranteed to get them slammed.

Greenturtle
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Gear: Turbine 19, Flite 17 & 12, Solo 9 & 6.5
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Anthonyshopguy wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:39 pm
Anthonyshopguy if you have a couple minutes (and still have both kites) could you lay them out flat, one on top of the other and report here which is bigger and by how much? It’s entirely possible the “15m” turbine is the same size or bigger...

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Lake Arena CR, Cocoa Beach FL, Ivanpah CA, Lake Meredith Tx, lake Huron Mi, Metro Park MI ** 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV.
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 15m LEI Slingshot Turbine, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Been thanked: 0

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:27 pm

I have stacked them back to back inflated. Contra is bigger but not by much. I could lay them out next week. One is with me while I'm traveling. The 15 the other is at home waiting quietly to go to a new home.🙂. Contra flew very well just did not seem to be much of an improvement on the Slingshot. Though much better weight reduction on the Contra.

alford
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:56 pm

For a 100kg rider (even a bit more with gear on) and say 11 or 12 knots minimum and a light wind twin tip, is the 17m the route to go? I know some on this forum really love the 15 turbine but given my requirements, what do you think?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 91cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Coupe 6'

Postby grigorib » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:21 pm

alford wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:56 pm
For a 100kg rider (even a bit more with gear on) and say 11 or 12 knots minimum and a light wind twin tip, is the 17m the route to go? I know some on this forum really love the 15 turbine but given my requirements, what do you think?
I'd say for 100kg rider the 17m size is proper LW kite size.
For flat water (no currents/waves) and large door board (not just twintip - a true large door) and with 10m line extensions I think you can ride 10-12knots with 15m as well (at same 100kg) and a smaller size would be faster turning and easier to work but you'd be underpowered in lulls or won't be able to ride in 7-8 knots.
Or start foiling - much more fun unless water is hips deep.

alford
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:14 pm

How heavy is bar pressure on big Turbines?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 91cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Coupe 6'

Postby grigorib » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:58 am

alford wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:14 pm
How heavy is bar pressure on big Turbines?
Noting bad but I had Pivot rider note that Slingshot bar pressure is heavier than his.
Another appropriate question would be - how good the depower is on Turbines and I can tell that you don't want to be overpowered on one, especially on small sizes. They're HA wings and can deliver mad power so you need to take proper size to conditions.

I loved my 15m and I love my 9m Turbine. The first one was great LW wing and the second one is a flying machine.

Return to “Kitesurfing”