Pivot vs Enduro

forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pivot vs Enduro

Postby tautologies » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:46 am

I know how this is going to look since I have ridden the pivots since day 1, but I have had quite a few sessions on the newest Enduro and I could really never figure this kite out. I was constantly getting pulled off the wave, and especially when the kite turned I ended up getting pulled off the wave. I never really figured out how to jump it as well as my pivot....hangtime was fine, but height was hard for me. I get that just trying the kite for a short while wouldn't give me the feel, but I have ridden the kite for maybe 6-7 session with TT, foil and strapped and strapless surfboard. It was one of those kites I felt was never the right one. I did not do any changes to the canopy like Irie suggested. A note on Gonzo's post. If the pivot backstalls, I think the lines might not be adjusted right...like any kite it can backstall if your backlines are too short.

I find the pivot faster turning, easier to handle and ride, and it drifts well. Not as well as the slash, but that would be expected. Enduro seems to site deeper in the window, and it was much harder to adjust the power that spiked as your speed increased. I'm biased for sure but just could not ride the enduro.

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby RagingGrandpa » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:07 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:39 pm
I use Enduro V2's. In the centre of the kite there is a bridle setting which when you set it to "freestyle" it opens up the canopy a little and improves low end and increases bar pressure at the expense of slightly slower turning. It really does work and I mostly use this in my 12m in marginal conditions.
Ridden both, like both, own a 10m Enduro V2...

This comment confused me though- I think the 'Freestyle' setting (long center bridle) makes the kite more C-shape, reduces projected area, and therefore reduces static (low-end) pull. But you seem to prefer this setting for better low-end- did I miss something here? Curious, thx.

When I've tried that Freestyle setting, I didn't like the reduction in bar sensitivity... sheeting and steering felt more responsive on the 'Wave' setting (tight center bridle / flattest canopy). So mine stays on 'Wave' all the time (12kt foiling & 25kt TT).

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:15 pm

It seems to me that "Freestyle" increases projected area by allowing the wing tips to open wider (ie they are pulled less tightly towards the centre by the bridle) thus increasing low end.

Macster
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Macster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:29 am

Freestyle / unhooking is no good on the pivot but if you dont do that it probably has more advantages over the enduro for freeride. Dunno about waves.

Return to “Kitesurfing”