Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Chile - Matanzas, Roca cuadrada...

Forum for kitesurfers
jaimeg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Valdevaqueros in Tarifa (Spain) and Scarborough Western Cape in South Africa
Style: wave
Gear: F-one Pandit and mitu monteiro
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Chile - Matanzas, Roca cuadrada...

Postby jaimeg » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi guys, I am going to Chile on January 7th and staying for a month. I wanted to get some info about the wave riding spots. I have read about Roca Cuadrada, Matanzas itself, Pupuya... if anyone knows what is the best place to look for accomodation, please let me know? I am travelling on my own so I was either thinking a cheap hostel that hoepfully has some more riders. From my understanding it would be ideal to have a car which i am planning on to... do i need to rent a 4*4 or a basic car will be enough? I was thinking that , i would rent one that is already equiped to camp or sleep in it... is that a good idea, is it afea to do so? Thank you very much :)

Cheers, Jaime

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: Chile- Matanzas, Roca cuadrada...

Postby windmaker » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:30 am

Don't make the mistake. You definitely need a 4x4 with differential lock to access Roca quadrada otherwise you will end up like so many others having to walk 500m on the beach to access the spot.

I spent a month there a few years ago and found accommodation in Matanzas by asking locals but prices are high and availability scarce.

Kitesurfed in most of the best wave spots in the world from Australia to Hawaii through Cape Verde and many others and scored in Matanzas some of my best waves ever. Enjoy!

jaimeg
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Valdevaqueros in Tarifa (Spain) and Scarborough Western Cape in South Africa

Re: Chile- Matanzas, Roca cuadrada...

Postby jaimeg » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:57 pm

windmaker wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:30 am
Don't make the mistake. You definitely need a 4x4 with differential lock to access Roca quadrada otherwise you will end up like so many others having to walk 500m on the beach to access the spot.

I spent a month there a few years ago and found accommodation in Matanzas by asking locals but prices are high and availability scarce.

Kitesurfed in most of the best wave spots in the world from Australia to Hawaii through Cape Verde and many others and scored in Matanzas some of my best waves ever. Enjoy!
Thanks for the good info, however i dont really mind walking 500 meters on the beach even though it ll be nacer to get straight to the spot... 4*4 are quite pricey for a whole month...

baobob
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush Razor 11, Hadlow pro 9&7,
Tona Pop 138
Trampa modified deck titanium trucks

Re: Chile - Matanzas, Roca cuadrada...

Postby baobob » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Matanzas could be pretty expensive now as it's high season. I once meet a guy who rented in Las Brisas (on the maps it's just over the name La Boca https://www.google.cl/maps/dir/-33.9359 ... m2!4m1!3e0) which is cheaper than Matanzas and ride to Roca Cuadrada. From there you can basically pupm your kite in the backyard and head to the beach walking. Even La Boca could be an option but to reach the beach you better look for a place next to the stairs. There you don't need a 4x4/ Plus in La Boca you have more options for food/supermarket than in Matanzas. If you are wondering food in Chile sucks and water is cold so bring a thick wetsuit and accessories.
I'm living in Chile at the moment.

jaimeg
Rare Poster

Postby jaimeg » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:49 am

baobob wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:39 pm
Matanzas could be pretty expensive now as it's high season. I once meet a guy who rented in Las Brisas (on the maps it's just over the name La Boca https://www.google.cl/maps/dir/-33.9359 ... m2!4m1!3e0) which is cheaper than Matanzas and ride to Roca Cuadrada. From there you can basically pupm your kite in the backyard and head to the beach walking. Even La Boca could be an option but to reach the beach you better look for a place next to the stairs. There you don't need a 4x4/ Plus in La Boca you have more options for food/supermarket than in Matanzas. If you are wondering food in Chile sucks and water is cold so bring a thick wetsuit and accessories.
I'm living in Chile at the moment.
Thank you very much for your info:) was very helpful

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:39 pm

check on air bnb you will find plenty to live in at different prices. You will need a car but no need of a 4x4. You can t get oto roca cuadrada by the dune, authorities will kick u out. Cars are not aloud at the beach. Yes you can go upwind from Las Brisas or do a downwinder from Matanzas or Pupuya.
Pupuya is the easiest but not for the inexpirience , surf can really big some days. Matanzas spot very very tricky i would say only for windsurf or if u go there check how local tack, lots of wind shade.
Roca cuadrada is 1 k down wind matanzas. Surf can be very big there and no beach at one point, only rocks. ( not a crazy idea to have a leash)
3 k more downwind you ll find las Brisas, very nice spot too.
Best places to live ar in matanzas or las Brisas. Dont stay at la boca rapel, it s far and nothing going on.
very cold water ! 12 c but you are ok with a 4.3
Have a good one!

baobob
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush Razor 11, Hadlow pro 9&7,
Tona Pop 138
Trampa modified deck titanium trucks

Postby baobob » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:21 pm

La Boca - Matanzas are about 10 km apart. About wetsuits I saw Chileans wearing a 3.2 when I was on 5.4 so go figure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”