Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Risky kiting in Cape Town this evening

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Risky kiting in Cape Town this evening

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 pm

The SEaster only came through late today, around 6PM, and weakly at that, see meter at Kite Beach below. Anyway, I did not go out, but there were lots of windsurfers and about 10 kiters at Sunset I could see from my flat in Milnerton.

Around 7:30 I noticed one kiter on a reasonably large, perhaps 12m, red and yellow kite (could not see well enough with binoculars to divine the brand) and I think a surfboard, went way out into the bay, I would estimate a couple of kilometers. I could not believe the risk he was taking (it had to be a he, no shes are that crazy). He finally turned and came back to shore, having gained perhaps 100 meters. To my amazement, instead of riding a few waves and calling it quits, he went back out. This time about a kilometer offshore, right at sunset at 8PM, he dropped his kite.

I watched with binoculars as he struggled to relaunch it, and finally did. He rode back to the beach sineing his kite all the way and losing about 100m, but thankfully called it quits. It is now 8:30 and pitch dark.

I can only assume he had someone on the beach who would have called for a rescue if he did not return, but otherwise if the wind had dropped more precipitously (or his gear failed) he would have been in serious trouble, as the SEaster is offshore at that point and there is nothing between us and South America, and even with a wetsuit the water is cold. I have no idea what he was thinking, but that was some risky kiting.
Attachments
Sunday January 20 2019.jpeg
Sunday January 20 2019.jpeg (48.81 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Risky kiting in Cape Town this evening

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:05 pm

I never understand these guys who get a kick out of going to the Horizont.

If something happens to them they have no chance.
Maybe that’s their kick?

Plain stupid.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:00 am

Hi Hugh,we are leaving saturday to cpt and the first day kitaable should be thursday at platboom with 348 degrees wind .is it a good direction? should be onshore....at least we do not risk s america!

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:13 am

Hi piccio, not sure I understand your plans. If you are arriving here on Saturday or Sunday, I don't think the forecasts are that reliable that far out. Platboom is a pretty expert wave-riding location, most prefer Witsands or Bloubergstrand unless there is really no wind in those locations.

Return to “Kitesurfing”