Rare Poster
Gear: Gong, moses
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Peter Lynn Nova

Postby trefas » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:08 pm

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:00 am
I have bought a Nova 10m ultralight for light wind foiling. I've been through quite a few kites looking for the right one for when my p4 6m can't get my 100kgs out the water. which is about sub 9kts.

I've had one session in steady light winds and it was great, no downside.

I've had one session in horrible gusty swinging on & off light wind with a strong tide as well. I struggled a bit at times and dropped it a couple of times due to slower turning speed. It relaunched well every time except the last which bow tied.

In this session a aluula flite 14.5 and also zephyr 17 handled the conditions better. However I'm not an expert with foil kites at all and I'm used to peaks so anything else is a bit weird. Also theres a mod to shorten the z line (steering) where it joins C line, to speed up steering. I've done that now.

I think it will be a good kite for my purpose. At 1.48kgs it's lighter than most and similar to equivalent peak but with relaunch. I didn't keep my p4 13m as I felt that size needed more structure, too easy to turn into a flapping sheet.

However I have half an eye on the new aluula juice as well ..
Where did you read about this mod? And did it make a difference?

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:20 pm

I’ve recently taken delivery of a PL Nova 10m and went for the “Kite only” option as I plan to use one of my Ozone bars.
I would like to see a line plan for the Nova but there isn’t one!, yet there is one for the Aero V2.

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:11 am

If you look here you can see that lengthening B a little and C more is recommended to speed up steering (putting more curve into profile)
https://www.plkb.world/en/news/how-to-trim-your-bridles

However what I did based on a friends advice is just shorten Z where it attaches to C by making another knot about 1cm closer to bar.

I haven't really tested this myself yet on the water but I've seen this mod beach fly and when trimmed to the point of backstall on full bar in, the kite was very responsive even in light winds.

These users thanked the author Oldman_Dave for the post:
trefas (Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:25 am

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:11 am
If you look here you can see that lengthening B a little and C more is recommended to speed up steering (putting more curve into profile)
https://www.plkb.world/en/news/how-to-trim-your-bridles

However what I did based on a friends advice is just shorten Z where it attaches to C by making another knot about 1cm closer to bar.

I haven't really tested this myself yet on the water but I've seen this mod beach fly and when trimmed to the point of backstall on full bar in, the kite was very responsive even in light winds.

No frontstalling with the shortening?

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:19 am

Not that I've seen.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard

Postby mgs » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:13 pm

queneseb wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:48 pm
Hi all,

So here is my review of @Peterlynn Nova in 10 sqm.

Background : owner of sonif FR/v2, Aero v1/v2, Diablo 4, Ozone r1v2, Mikes lab 3 & 4, chubanga v1/2, spotz etc.. I ride on HF since 4 years and pretty good result in comp. I leave in caribbean, so the test is in SUNNY/WAR, REGULAR WIND from 8 to 25 knot.

First i want to copy and paste the feedback i send directly to PL, uncut, to be as unbiased as possible :

" Hi XXX, first try of hte Nova today ! Really really enjoy it ! its a toy ! was kind of the hook for foiling (nb:Peterlynn inflatable) but feel the Nova better!
Kite is so easy to use, no preinflation, put it on the ground and go.
No tangle with ear, easy to relaunch and reverse relaunch on the water. Very good for hydrofoil in light wind without the hight ratio technical stuff. Pleasure of foil kite with the easilu side of inflatable.
As far as i'm used with short line on 10 sqm (11m), i try it on 23m line, think its too much and found the kite a little bit slow (turn), think 18-20m line lenght should be better"

"Try it in 16m line lenght. Was abble to ride in light wind but i think a 18+3m set should be good. Same mood like yesterday. Myabe i expected a quicker turning speed in shorten line lenght. So easy to launch alone and relaunch, it keep air a lot ! very impress and really discover a new way to ride a foil kite"

---

So first NOVA is a very user friendly foil kite, it's made for Foil and it's made for freeride and beginner on foil Kite. For me the kite change a lot my quiver because it become a must have because its so fun and easy to use ! Like i say the kite is a real toy, dedicaced for HF 100%

Launch : kite is easy to setup and launch, without pre-inflation, kite goes quick in the air totally inflate.

Relaunch : Very easy, you can relaunch it like a inflatable if you want, or reverse, it relaunch in weird position easily contrary to high ratio. Some friend who are 100% beginner on foil kite, test and used it and have 0 problem during their test on relaunch, pretty amazed as far as they thought a foil kite sink :allbegood:

Stability : i don't experient any unexpected closure of the kite, in stable or gusty condition.

Turning : it's pretty slow, seems to be a choice from Peterlynn to make it easier for beginner, but kite backstall and its easy to heli-loop. For Kiteloop like bridge on soul.. forget it ! it's not made for that

Bar pressure : more equilibrate in comparison to High ratio (witch pull hard on the harness), here the bar pressure is well distributed between front and back line (harness and bar). Very good feeling for me, some friend prefer when it pull more in the harness.

Speed : f*** ! this kite is Fast (unexpected !!) ... I reach speed over 38 knot on reaching, and made it several time !!
Here one of the track : http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/de ... pe/2540618

Jump/hangtime : Kite allow to jump high but hangtime is less in comparison to race kite, i prefer use it for big air on HF in the high windrange. But Nova allow to land easy and smooth compare to high ratio kite, i'm abble to made a small downloop when i touch the water with my HF to land as smooth as possible.

Angle : of course nothing compare with race kite, upwind skill is little bit better versus inflatable and same thing for the dowwind, but with a foil kite you dont have to move the kite into the wind window to reach the better angle

Power/depower/windrange : windrange of the kite is very good, i use it with 16m line lenght (75kg), abble to ride from 8 to 25knot. Better from 8 to 20, and 25 for extraball/big air and speed. I personnaly dont recommand to ride it with 21 or 23m line lenght.

Construction : i use the kite since 5 month regularly and it doesnt move, speedsystem dont move, i dont change anything yet and don't see any wikness or wear. Briddle are big in comparison of race kite

Maybe i miss something or feedback, let me know for question.

Have now spent some decent time on my Nova 10m and I have to say that I'm very impressed with it!
Its' a "Park", "Ride" & "Forget kite" providing a solid and super stable flying experience!
Launching is an absolute delight, lift up the downwind wing tip and off you go and it's fully inflated in no time at all.
Have flown in light winds as well as winds in the 20mph plus winds , but found it too much. (The wind had increased after launching it)
I'm flying the Nova on 25m Lines which works well for me, turning speed is very good as well.
Shame there isn't a 15m Nova as the 10m & 15m combination would be good for me! :-)

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:04 pm

Faxie wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:25 am

Tested yesterday with the Z bridle mod. (the other perfect neutral)

No frontstalling no colapsing and improved lowend. Foiling in 8knots easily

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:05 pm

Faxie wrote:

Tested yesterday with the Z bridle mod. (the others set to neutral)

No frontstalling no colapsing and improved lowend. Foiling in 8knots easily, stays at zenit with 6.
Last edited by bitxopalo on Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard

Postby mgs » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:35 pm

bitxopalo wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:05 pm
Faxie wrote:

Tested yesterday with the Z bridle mod. (the other perfect neutral)

No frontstalling no colapsing and improved lowend. Foiling in 8knots easily
Going to give that a try myself!
Currently both front and back lines are of equal length and have the option to connect the brake line pigtails on another knot on the back lines.

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:46 am

I just bought a 6m Nova, yesterday tried it out on a twintip, the wind was around 8-9m/s. The other riders were on 9-12m tube kites. When I launched the kite it seemed to have very little power, sheeting in did not change things much. But when I flew it fast through the wind window, it pulled a lot. The same when I started riding, get the initial pull, sine the kite several times to get a good speed and then the fun begins. The faster I go, the more powerful the kite gets, the kite is responsive and swift. My impression it has a similar power to an 8-9m tube kite but different power delivery. When I stop and depower the kite, there is hardly any pull, I can swim backstroke to reach my board when I lose it. When there were flatter sections of water I could easily go over 40km/h. Can't wait to try the kite with the foilboard.

Return to “Foil Kites”