Forum for kitesurfers
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Possible Scam - Buyer Beware

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:57 pm

I saw this warning on the iK***S**f classifieds this morning:

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/39517

It concerns a guy who currently has at least 5 items listed for sale in 3 different states in the USA. A few weeks ago, I communicated with the guy about one of his listings, but I didn't feel comfortable dealing with him, so I didn't proceed. Things just didn't seem quite right. So when I saw this scam alert posted by someone else, I thought I'd give the Forum a heads up. I suggest steering clear. :thumb:
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
Toby (Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:21 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: Possible Scam - Buyer Beware

Postby POACHER » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:21 am

Good looking out.

You kind of freaked me out a little though, I just bought a new North bar off of someone on iKitesurf this morning....

The guy I dealt with seemed legit though. Knew the equipment well, answered all my questions promptly and shipped the bar out already. Not worried about it.

That's the great thing about using PayPal, they will shop vac that money back to you if an online transaction goes sideways. I just had to have them intervene twice in the last month on Ebay deadbeat sellers.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:14 pm

POACHER wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:21 am
.... That's the great thing about using PayPal, they will shop vac that money back to you if an online transaction goes sideways. I just had to have them intervene twice in the last month on Ebay deadbeat sellers.
Yes, PayPal usually works well. The guy who concerned me asked me to use PayPal "friends and family", which (after a number of other questionable communications from him) convinced me to look elsewhere. With "friends and family", the buyer doesn't have the customary PayPal protection. There was a recent thread on this Forum that highlighted the risks, so I knew to back off.

On a more positive note, I've had some great transactions using iK***S**f classifieds. It's just pays to be careful. :thumb:

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:06 pm

I was chatting to a guy from a different site about a Rebel, as soon as I mentioned using Paypal was ghosted.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:41 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:14 pm
POACHER wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:21 am
.... That's the great thing about using PayPal, they will shop vac that money back to you if an online transaction goes sideways. I just had to have them intervene twice in the last month on Ebay deadbeat sellers.
Yes, PayPal usually works well. The guy who concerned me asked me to use PayPal "friends and family", which (after a number of other questionable communications from him) convinced me to look elsewhere. With "friends and family", the buyer doesn't have the customary PayPal protection. There was a recent thread on this Forum that highlighted the risks, so I knew to back off.

On a more positive note, I've had some great transactions using iK***S**f classifieds. It's just pays to be careful. :thumb:
Yeah excellent point for sure. Friends and Fam is for squaring up with chums on housing or rental cars after a trip, not for buying from interweb strangers. If a seller grumbles about NOT using the Friends & Family, they are trying to pull one over on you. That fee is really minimal anyway.....better to protect yourself.

98% of kiters I meet are pretty solid citizens, the other 2% I wish would take up another sport.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:00 pm

Nothing new here these scams are all over now, just think anyone can copy and paste a picture of anything and put it up for sale for a few hundred dollars. its actually done by groups of well organized scammers and they have moved in to anywhere there are used things for sale. Ask questions when In doubt to see how much this person really knows about the item or the hobby in general . Moral of the story is dont use anything else but straight paypal to pay no friends and family type payment services.

Return to “Kitesurfing”