Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who are the foilers?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260
.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 225 times
Been thanked: 330 times

Re: Who are the foilers?

Postby grigorib » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:01 pm

downunder wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:13 pm
There u go,

One year after this thread started, zero increase in foiling at my local. And my jumps and dark slides only got better ;)

TT and SB rules at my local with aprox 1700 kiters.

Totaly depends on location.
Friends from Cape Town gave me similar feedback. Did we make kite gods angry by trying to boost too high and so they punished us making all ride different gear/disciplines and not being able to understand each other? :)

User avatar
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2309
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Perth, Australia
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Who are the foilers?

Postby downunder » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:54 am

grigorib wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:01 pm
downunder wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:13 pm
There u go,

One year after this thread started, zero increase in foiling at my local. And my jumps and dark slides only got better ;)

TT and SB rules at my local with aprox 1700 kiters.

Totaly depends on location.
Friends from Cape Town gave me similar feedback. Did we make kite gods angry by trying to boost too high and so they punished us making all ride different gear/disciplines and not being able to understand each other? :)
Correct.

I do not understand Figure Ice skating, but all into Ice hockey ;) Different discipline, nothing in common except ice.

Hardly ANY twin tipper worth any salt moved to a foil on my local and is good in it.

cor
Frequent Poster
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:20 pm
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Who are the foilers?

Postby cor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:22 am

downunder wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:54 am
Hardly ANY twin tipper worth any salt moved to a foil on my local and is good in it.
Says the guy living in Perth and some guys from CPT confirm :lol: :D :D That's hardly a surprise that almost no one is moving to foil there, isn't it? If I would be living in an area with plenty of 20+ knots days, I would probably not have started foiling either.

So yeah, as you mentioned, it all depends on the location.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3553
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Who are the foilers?

Postby TomW » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:49 pm

Kite Hydrofoiling is growing up here at 56N. Opening up many sessions as we have tons of days of 10-12 knots. Some Guys are venturing out on foils in 25 knots and riding the wind waves on super small kites, it's fairly radical.
There's a first gang of us 45-60 yrs who started 3 years ago, but also an active segment of 25-40 yrs discovering.
It's also expanded our season to be really active even in deep winter. Going out tomorrow in 4c air water. This is because we can go out in 8-14 knots with less windchilland have fun.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:48 am)
Rating: 6.67%

User avatar
pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 4:08 pm
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, Pleasure Bay, Chapin, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe. Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear:
FOIL
BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 110 130 150, Moses 633 637 548 550 + 91 101 111
Temavento Sync, Temavento custom LW, Moses T80 LTD, Ryan Schenk custom 36", LP Maverick XL 2

TT
Carved Imperator, Rebels, Swtchblades, Epic Infinity, Ocean Rodeo Flite
-
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Who are the foilers?

Postby pikovsg » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:21 am

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:27 pm
grigorib wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Judging by what you see - what do you think are the percentages of foilers broken down between
- kite
- windsurf
- surf/SUP
- wake
- kite 60%
- Windsurf 0%
- surf 40%
- wake 0%

Based on 3 kitefoilers and 2 surffoilers ...have seen them on rare occasions....it's not that popular....seeing actually a decline of foilers year after year
Many got bored...novelty wore off
They went back to their surfboards and twin-tips
It's just not catching on from what i see
Foilboarding may very well be overrated
That could be a new topic !!
:cheers:
A troll is a timeless disease without a cure, it seems. Do you ever get off the couch, mate? Much has changed in foiling since you started trolling. Maybe it's time to check out an actual non-forum beach, pullstrings?
– Your top fan
These users thanked the author pikovsg for the post:
cor (Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:45 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2065
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Who are the foilers?

Postby Matteo V » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:13 am

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:27 pm
grigorib wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Judging by what you see - what do you think are the percentages of foilers broken down between
- kite
- windsurf
- surf/SUP
- wake
- kite 60%
- Windsurf 0%
- surf 40%
- wake 0%

Based on 3 kitefoilers and 2 surffoilers ...have seen them on rare occasions....it's not that popular....seeing actually a decline of foilers year after year
Many got bored...novelty wore off
They went back to their surfboards and twin-tips
It's just not catching on from what i see
Foilboarding may very well be overrated
That could be a new topic !!
:cheers:
Kind of what I have seen too, but that may be skewed a little bit by a drop in kiting participation all around. You still see high number days when it's good, but a lot of the kiters that became skilled, seem to just not spend as much time doing it. And that Trend seems to be running through the foiling community as of last year.

Honestly what I think I'm seeing, is that there's really no longer an arms race for gear. Most people are pretty confident that their kites are good and this next year's kites are definitely not going to be any better. So if you have the skill and your gear is pretty much maxed out in technology, what's the point of really being dedicated and putting extra time and out there? Again oh, that's what I'm seeing, not necessarily doing.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:44 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NewBrighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool for 6 months in summer
Flag beach on fuerteventura for 6 months in winter.
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach fuerteventura, off season/6months
Home - NewBrighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 120,carbon 2020 edition
101cm + 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Moses- 720 balz pro/425 on longer 739 fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kite 11mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in,23 mtr lines
duotone click bar 2020
massive grin
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 227 times

Re: Who are the foilers?

Postby Foil » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:18 am

Kite foiling numbers are up again at Flag beach fertuventura,
interestingly kite foil race guys are here, and thier numbers have blossomed, maybe on the back of the Olympics, young guns who are very serious about foil racing with impressive skill sets that's for sure, the money invested in their gear is scary.
Around 12 freeride Foil board riders down each day at the beach, many days we are the only guys out on the water due to the lighter winds keeping the Tips firmly stuck on the beach,
a few more wing foilers are now out most days searching out the regular sizable sea swell, which for me makes this place such a great foiling playground,
stilll not the easiest launch spot for many of the guys who are not well practiced at getting out through tricky onshore winds with powerfull small but at times painfull onshore close sets pushing the luckless unprepared guys backwards with little sympathy,
I have sympathy for them as I had to learn the same lessons, which not only greatly improved my body dragging skills, but also my carbon wing repair skills,
A great place to meet foil board riders from all corners of the world and listen to thier stories of why they choose their gear they ride, it really proves the point that home locations dictate the type of gear many buy and use, which at times is a little amusing, and really does open up your mind to accepting that what one guy thinks is perfect is not right for another guy who sails in another part of the world,
I must start taking some pics of the more unusual stuff, like the guy who uses gear that will only fit in a standard size suit case, not a split board but a tiny home made board mini mast, big wing, one kite, silly wet suit, big smile.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
SENDIT! (Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:38 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:54 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards
Has thanked: 82 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: Who are the foilers?

Postby PullStrings » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:26 pm

pikovsg wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:21 am
PullStrings wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:27 pm
grigorib wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Judging by what you see - what do you think are the percentages of foilers broken down between
- kite
- windsurf
- surf/SUP
- wake
- kite 60%
- Windsurf 0%
- surf 40%
- wake 0%

Based on 3 kitefoilers and 2 surffoilers ...have seen them on rare occasions....it's not that popular....seeing actually a decline of foilers year after year
Many got bored...novelty wore off
They went back to their surfboards and twin-tips
It's just not catching on from what i see
Foilboarding may very well be overrated
That could be a new topic !!
:cheers:
A troll is a timeless disease without a cure, it seems. Do you ever get off the couch, mate? Much has changed in foiling since you started trolling. Maybe it's time to check out an actual non-forum beach, pullstrings?
– Your top fan
I wrote that in March 2019....you coconut head :wink:
Now there is ZERO people kitefoiling in Feb 2020 around here
All done with kites....3 guys trying to wingfoil
As far as the couch it's to watch TV when there is no more light outside :tv:
Having a great month in ocean this month
9 days out already
Just yesterday 6 foot surf....5 stars session
January was also good with 13 days
I'm killing it
How about you ?


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests