Opinion on Line Lengths for Foiling Large Format Wings with LEI

Forum for kitesurfers
Cab Driver
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Opinion on Line Lengths for Foiling Large Format Wings with LEI

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:03 pm

First off, let's try to keep branding out of this thread. Toby, I hope you will ensure that this happens.

I've been riding large format wings lately foiling and have found that I really seem to like 18m lines. For background, I am riding inflatables and I'm not interested in <10 kts of wind for this conversation. My coworker tried 16.5m but preferred 18m. I have tried between 18-24m, but once I got used to 18m, I really like it. I also found I really like it on a skim or alaia mostly because these are strapless and getting big air isn't the point, but air tacks, air shovits, etc. feel really good on 18s. I have to fly the kite a bit more when first starting, but it behaves much better when the foil is powered up or when pumping little swells and putting a bit of slack in the lines.

Any experienced riders have some comments on this?

jumptheshark
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Opinion on Line Lengths for Foiling Large Format Wings with LEI

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Whats your big kite?

Usually ride 21m for most kiting, but have been using longer for my biggest kite to foil. Upsizing wings in hopes of ditching the longer lines.... and maybe even the bigger kite.

Have foiled with 17m but only on a 6m in plenty of wind. Never really enough to get used to it like I am the 21m lines. I'm sure once you get used to shorter lines and smaller kites, it's hard to enjoy going back up a size. The goal for me is definitely to end up with the shortest lines and smallest kite that is still fun down to 10 knots.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby tomtom » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:31 pm

always 25m and kids kite sizes. But there is no consensus on this. You can get use to any kitesize / line size combo - but it require time. But for pure passive drift longer lines IMO have advantage. The question in my POV is

Bigger kite + shorter lines
vs
Smaller kite + longer lines

because if you are borderline with power you need somehow compensate for shorter lines. But maybe you rode powered enough so it doesn't matter
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
jakemoore (Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:58 pm)
Rating: 10%

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:09 pm

tomtom wrote: The question in my POV is

vs
Yes! Both affect turning and power. I find myself asking the same question each session.

I also tend to prefer the tiny kite long lines approach with its excellent drift especially riding waves and carving downwind. Tacks without footswitch and 360 I also like the long ljnes and tiny kite. To practice footswitch I need the lift of a bigger kite.

Air shove-its?! Thats rad. Do you need a super flat stabilo or stabless to pull this off?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:48 pm

tomtom is right, there is no consensus on this.

A few ride short lines, most ride their normal lines, and many ride a tad longer.

If wind is changing a lot, I ride 30 m lines, also on the really large wings. And when using a kite bigger than 10 m2 always 30 m lines.

But when I am normally powered, even with small kites 3.5 or 5 or 6 m2, I ride 26-27 m lines, ALWAYS.

Hate shorter lines, they dont give me the smooth fluid fast carves and turns I like, and they are way too on/off for my liking - not good (for me)

Others go as low as 15 m lines I can read here.

Nobody does this around here though, 22-24 is used often, and 25-27 m just as often.
Only the racers go 14-18 m lines here.

So as said, no consensus :roll:

8) Peter

PS: have noticed that many are using the main forum now, instead of the hydrofoil forum.
Maybe because foiling is getting so big they do this :rollgrin:
Same thing has happened around here, some years ago it was a small niche sport in kiting, now the main (Danish) forum is used by foilers too instead of a specific foil forum, as we grow fast in numbers :thumb:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 120 and 135
Moses Fluente 550/590 + 330/325 and 633 set
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Ozone Reo 5
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 13m

Postby TomW » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:07 pm

I'm using 20m on all 3 foil kites. I reduced from 24m. I tried 15m but it was too radical.
I'm planning on trying 15m on my 7m foil kite when I get overpowered.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:27 pm

In general, it seems (non race) foil kite riders use shorter lines than LEI riders :D

8) Peter

Cab Driver
Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:05 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:09 pm
tomtom wrote: The question in my POV is

vs
Yes! Both affect turning and power. I find myself asking the same question each session.

I also tend to prefer the tiny kite long lines approach with its excellent drift especially riding waves and carving downwind. Tacks without footswitch and 360 I also like the long ljnes and tiny kite. To practice footswitch I need the lift of a bigger kite.

Air shove-its?! Thats rad. Do you need a super flat stabilo or stabless to pull this off?
uh - shovits not on the foil!! Surfboard, skimboard, alaia...

Interesting comments on the long lines. So you like to use the drag to push the kite downwind when it has "slack" power?? I'm assuming that's your drift. I just use a kite that drifts like a madman and run the 18m. Really, I might use a 12m every once in a while, but it's normally 9m.
Last edited by Cab Driver on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cab Driver
Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:48 pm
tomtom is right, there is no consensus on this.

A few ride short lines, most ride their normal lines, and many ride a tad longer.

If wind is changing a lot, I ride 30 m lines, also on the really large wings. And when using a kite bigger than 10 m2 always 30 m lines.

But when I am normally powered, even with small kites 3.5 or 5 or 6 m2, I ride 26-27 m lines, ALWAYS.

Hate shorter lines, they dont give me the smooth fluid fast carves and turns I like, and they are way too on/off for my liking - not good (for me)

Others go as low as 15 m lines I can read here.

Nobody does this around here though, 22-24 is used often, and 25-27 m just as often.
Only the racers go 14-18 m lines here.

So as said, no consensus :roll:

8) Peter

PS: have noticed that many are using the main forum now, instead of the hydrofoil forum.
Maybe because foiling is getting so big they do this :rollgrin:
Same thing has happened around here, some years ago it was a small niche sport in kiting, now the main (Danish) forum is used by foilers too instead of a specific foil forum, as we grow fast in numbers :thumb:
How much wind on your 5m inflatable with 26-27m lines?

Brian H
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Slingshot kites and boards
Has thanked: 0

Postby Brian H » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:09 am

I love long lines on the smallest kite also , I can ride a 7m lei on 28m lines in around 12kts.

Return to “Kitesurfing”