Forum for kitesurfers
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Good kite for boat

Postby jakemoore » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:23 pm

5 and 6 meter peaks are going to be good fun kites for you to experiment with. A great choice for the next steps after the trainer. If you are in the arctic, try a peak with some snow skis. IMO this is the safest and easiest way to get into traction kiting.

Know that peak4 is a big step up ( as is Gin Shaman) from peak3. But Im very enthusiastic about single skin and land kiting as first traction kiting experiences. 5-6 m is going to be fun and safe to fly in light wind and good for ski/buggy/mountain board in medium wind.

Consider for kitesurf vs windsurf we use 2-3x the kite size a windsurfer uses. Both windsurf and kitesurf are planing. 12 meter kite 80 kg rider on a planing board needs 15 knots.

I think kite sailors ( in displacement) talk about 1/3 the boats sail area for a convetional sail. But there is not enough experience to create a rule of thumb. There arent many answers yet and some very interested and experienced parties are trying to crack the code for kite sailing many years already.

You will be a developer in kite sailing if the simplicity and cost of kiteboarding and kite skiing does not cause you to lose interest in bigger boats.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:29 am

Peak 4 is much better than Peak 3 - but in important parameter for you they are comparable. Peak on video i post is Peak 3 or even 2. But these kites have less longevity /also they are cheaper/ - than normal kites because of flapping - so be carefull if buying second hand and observe trailing edge for sign of wear.
CA Wave will be also very good kite for this for sure.

Munti
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Northern part of Norway
Favorite Beaches: None
Style: Boat
Gear: Peak4
Been thanked: 0

Postby Munti » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:35 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:10 pm
if you are ready to buy a new kite, I would also consider Conceptair Wave that now exists in big size (12.5 meters) ; it is grunty, extremely stable and excellent depower, almost autozenith; it is IMO at least as stable as peak, and very easy water relaunch, almost automatic. I think such launch method also works with the wave.

relaunch is a ggod point IMO ; but rolling the kite to put back in the boat from sea will be more difficult than peak (which cab be rolled very rapidly even on board of the boat
I'm a little confused. You say it's very easy water relaunch. Isn't this open cell? Will it not get filled with water?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:25 am

The Wave is a closed cell kite ; another advantage IMO for boat application is that it does not generate a lot of lift and limited power peak when crossing the window ; kite pull tension is very regular even in gusts and with less "violence" than a LEI or other foilkites ;

So all is depending on your financial situation IMO and aim; in order of personal choice, I would list the following :
1- LEI which you can find at all budgets possible, and they have an excellent advantage is begin able to be pumped on the boat , then laid on the water surface at 90 degree and drift away by the wind up to tension the lines and being launched directly from the boat ; the easier way to put the kite in the sky in the middle of nowhere IMO ; I did this twice starting from scratch with kite in the bag in the boat : very easy (you need to synchronise your pump stroke with the waves :lol: to keep balanced) ; LEI are also good resistance to crash in the water ; LEI have better instant depower vs foilkites, which can be appreciated in gust or failed transitions ; LEI has no bridles that can be tangled , hoked on your boats floor accessories or damaged . LEI requires more rear line tension so maybe a bit more armful for your arms if you drive the kite manually during a long session of several hours. they need minimum 10 knot for a good flight and relaunch (this is the main drawback since foilkites could do lower like 7 knots if you are not expert
2- PL Arc (Venom, charger, ...) for its low budget as starter, great for its autozenith and resistance to crash and absence of numerous bridles lines (that can be appreciated when manipulated on a boat), in the range of 150/300 euro . Main drwwback : I do not know a technique to launch it from the boat directly but I think you can imagine one thanks to the autozenith feature ; also quite hard tension on rear lines for your arms ; PL arc need about8-9 knots to fly and relaunch technic is "particular:, also requires say 9 knots.
3- standandard closed cell kite (for low budget or second hand : pansh A15 for low budget, speed 3 or 4, HQ matrix), for higher budget I would have a preference for a CA wave if you have the money ; there are tecnics to launch from a boat in the water but it is more tricky and required a kite preparation that is doable on land, more difficult on a boat if you want to manage all from the boat only (like for successive sessions) ; low rear line tension, hence more comfort. need 7 knots to fly and relaunch.
4- Peak (limitied relaunch but easy unpacking and packing, robust during a crash), say about 400 Euro (v1 or 2 o 3 is suitable IMO ; launch from a boat maybe a challenge since it does not float well on the water ... medium line tension ; need 5 knots to fly but does not relaunch (some hopes above 10-12 knots maybe but not lower)

For all of them if you envisage to use the kite in 10-15 knots , I think you need some high power otherwise the boat will be glued to the water ; so 9-10 minimum; 15-17m max; About the lines, I think you do not need too much line length , something like 15 meters, which will improve your speed, upwind angle and comfort in gusts.

Munti
Rare Poster

Postby Munti » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:02 pm

So, just bought my first kite. Ended up with a new peak4 + bar. If it turns out I can't solve the launch problem, it will still be a fun kite to use on snow I think. But I hope to solve the launch. Singlefoil will be the safest to pick out of the water in bad weather. Will pick up a LEI and a PL Arc as well, but now that I have a starting point there is no rush. Will just wait for a good secondhand offer. CA wave is also a kite I want to try, but looks like there's not many around of them. We'll see...

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:41 pm

What is this "CA wave" kite? Searching for it returns nothing useful because of the generic name.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:51 pm

Size?

Munti
Rare Poster

Postby Munti » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:41 pm
What is this "CA wave" kite? Searching for it returns nothing useful because of the generic name.
Conceptair Wave

Munti
Rare Poster

Postby Munti » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:36 pm

tomtom wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:51 pm
Size?
5m
Was tempted to get 8m to start with, but decided 5 was enough for a noob like me. I can increase size or try stacking once I have some experience.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:58 pm

Forget about stacking - buy more sizes if needed. 5m is very good size to start. Peaks are very unique kites - you will understand how good they behaves once you try other kites. The price for this behavior is less performance and worse L/D ratio but for you application it doesnt matter much. You never reach speed with boat where it start matter.
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:42 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”