Forum for kitesurfers
tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite Turn Accelerator by Bruno Legaignoux

Postby tegirinenashi » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:14 pm

I think the turn mechanism is different in the two cases. Bruno's bar twists the kite, so that one side gets more lift than the other. The kite lift gets shifted from the center so that the aggregate force (line tension+kite lift) pulls the kite to one side.

A 2-line kite turns by having dis-balance between left and right line tension. I'd argue that traditional 4-line kites turn by combination of both effects. Certainly, the canopy is twisted, but there is also a disbalance of line tension between left and right (to somewhat lesser effect than 2 line kite).

I finally get the point that Bruno mentioned: pulling back line alone in the traditional 4-line kite design has stalling effect. To compensate, his solution is to add pull in the opposite back line. I suggest that adding tension on the back line at the same side might also work (and even perhaps without auxiliary bar). And here is the implementation of this alternative system:
bar1.png

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone,Slingshot,my own
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby FarQueLot » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:01 am

Iridian wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:18 pm
FarQueLot wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:16 am
the fundamental of a tube kite steering system is that they twist the kite by having tension on one front line and the opposite rear line, pulling both same sides has virtually no effect
I think it would have an effect. Two line trainers only pull on one side and they turn super fast
Well it doesn't, this is not a 2 line trainer.

Try the experiment for yourself and try to understand.

Bruno's system is accentuating the twist effect by putting tension on opposite front and rear lines to enable better turning. This is the same as getting a kite off the water by grabbing one front line and the opposite rear line to rotate the kite around and launched.

Munti
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Northern part of Norway
Favorite Beaches: None
Style: Boat
Gear: Peak4

Postby Munti » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:03 am

brunolgx wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:10 pm
An interesting feature of this double bar is that one can choose the strength of the turn accelerator.
If you want as much speed as possible and not much lift, place the front lines at the ends of the upper bar.
If you want less speed and more lift, reduce the distance between the front lines.
Very interesting thread!
Can someone explain the relation between speed and lift so even a noob like me is able to understand it?

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:44 pm

Speed is generated by the force that is directed in the kites travelling direction (forward)
Lift is generated by the force that is directed 90 degrees from the kites travelling direction (side/up).

Munti
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Northern part of Norway
Favorite Beaches: None
Style: Boat
Gear: Peak4

Postby Munti » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:57 pm

AndersP wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:44 pm
Speed is generated by the force that is directed in the kites travelling direction (forward)
Lift is generated by the force that is directed 90 degrees from the kites travelling direction (side/up).
Thanks. But what I don't understand is how a relatively small variation in the distance between front lines changes this. Does it change center of gravity?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:10 pm

The principle is that the front and rear lines can steer the kite. Using both steers it even quicker and more effective, less stall etc. Using handles will teach you this.
jakemoore wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:57 am

Quite the opposite of Flysurfers WAC line because it pulls the outside front line rather than inside.

No that is wrong a WAC line pulls the inside front(A) which is similar to the same as this. It however doesn't release the outside as effective as this and is reduced ratio by the mixer.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:12 pm

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:42 pm

foilholio wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:10 pm
The principle is that the front and rear lines can steer the kite. Using both steers it even quicker and more effective, less stall etc. Using handles will teach you this.
jakemoore wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:57 am

Quite the opposite of Flysurfers WAC line because it pulls the outside front line rather than inside.

No that is wrong a WAC line pulls the inside front(A) which is similar to the same as this. It however doesn't release the outside as effective as this and is reduced ratio by the mixer.
The WAC system is all on either the left or right side of the kite. This is a crossover bar that pulls for example the left rear line and then at a limit the right front line.

WAC limits oversheeting and increases camber but just on one side of the kite.

The Bruno Bar limits oversheeting on one side of the kite and decreases AOA to a greater extent on the opposite side.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu May 02, 2019 12:42 am

Sorry I was mistaken. I didn't see the way this works on the opposite front line, obvious now looking at the crossed lines. This is not front line steering, but just exaggerated front to rear line effect. Few problems, line wear and then the bar pressure will be insane. I can safely say no one will use this "idea", outside some curiosity.

Return to “Kitesurfing”