New aquatik single skin by Conceptair

For all foil kite riders
Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: SLOW STYLE & stuntkiting
Gear: Just MONOFOILS, no training wheels ;-)
OZONE chrono; FLYSURFER sonic²/r, peak4; CONCEPTAIR firefly; DUOTONE foilwing
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey

Re: New aquatik single skin by Conceptair

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:49 pm

First I thought,
well very nice new bag from conceptair, but isn't it a bit to big for an just 2,5 m² kite?

But then, stupid me, it is meant to be a day / board bag :D and the firefly perfectly fits into the side bag :wink: :rollgrin:
Kitejunkies-ConceptAir-Firefly.jpg
Love the color, lets see how it will shine in the sky!

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BJkitesurf » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52 pm

Horst Sergio, How do you like CA Firefly so far?

irwe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:39 am

My kite buddie took out his FireFly 6 m yesterday on a large foil and surfboard. He was able to drift launch in 8 - 10 kts, Once on the water the peak winds were 14 kts gust 17 and he had no problem keeping up with everyone else Foiling on 10 ` 12 m LEI's. When he was done he was able to drop the kite in the water and easily pack it up. It looked like he had great drift ability and he said it was easy to turn the power on and off.

gl
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget
Has thanked: 0

Postby gl » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:19 pm

I used the 6 meter Firefly yesterday for the second time. I was on the Slingshot Infinity 76 foil and a large foil board. It is the easiest drift launching kite that I have tried. The same with landing in the water and having it stay down. Just take it to the side of the wind window and stall it on the back lines. It will easily drift launch in winds that I cannot get up on the board. I took it out in winds that I knew to be to light to get up on the board as I was sure that they were going to pick up. Guys on 11 and 12 meter inflatable kites were going and I could not get up on the board. The wind picked up just a little and once up on the board had no trouble staying up on the foil when the wind dropped back down, I did not take wind readings but I would guess I need somewhere around 12 knots to get up on the board. I weigh about 175 pounds. Later the wind picked up and was going from about 12 to 17 knots. In those winds I could point high upwind. I went way upwind and then tried my first downwind run with the kite. For the first time ever I was able to head directly at the kite for extended periods and it just drifted along in front of me. I was not going fast towards the kite but not so slow I that I might drop off the foil. Then I started "S" turning on the swells towards it and again it just drifted along. It was the most fun I have had on a foil to date. I am not sure why but my direction changes came much easier with the kite and I could fly through my turns or drop to the water and turn and rarely fell. At my skill level that is not the usual case. It made everything seem easier. I really like the kite. The kite does flutter most of the time which you can feel lightly on the bar although it does not seem to cause any problems. After a while I stopped noticing it. Depowered up near 17 knots going upwind the the fluttering became more of a flap which could be reduced by slowing down and heading harder upwind and sheeting in a bit. Although I would happily take a bit of flapping for the amazing drift the kite has. Directly overhead the kite will sit nicely for a bit but once it starts to move to one side it starts to accelerate towards the water. It does this a bit faster than any of my other kites. Not a problem just something to be aware of. Bar pressure was moderate and I was using it on 24 meter lines.
These users thanked the author gl for the post (total 2):
Horst Sergio (Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:55 pm) • Regis-de-giens (Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:22 pm)
Rating: 20%

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: SLOW STYLE & stuntkiting
Gear: Just MONOFOILS, no training wheels ;-)
OZONE chrono; FLYSURFER sonic²/r, peak4; CONCEPTAIR firefly; DUOTONE foilwing
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:54 pm

BJkitesurf wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52 pm
Horst Sergio, How do you like CA Firefly so far?
Sorry not enough wind till now for the 2,5 m², just two short static flights and one downwinder on a iSUP. Once tried quite some trops in the water and behaviour was so far very good. The overall impression is similar to what gl says and positive. Only posible disadvantage I could see till now is upwind, but the rest till now feels all fine. Pretty low stearing forces also very good behaviour unhooked with one hand, all turning radiuses till spin possible in a harmonic way and all very similar to my loved Peak4 3 m².
Kitejunkie-Peak-vs-Firefly.jpg

slowboat
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:19 pm

I have flown both the 4 meter FF and 4 meter Peak 4 several times now and wanted to share my impressions. The 2 kites are more similar than they are different. They are both very light (same weight) and both drift, depower and turn very well. I believe these are the best kites currently available for wave foiling. The wind ranges are similar with maybe the FF having slightly better low end (1 knot at most) while the Peak may be slightly better upwind. The biggest differences are the FF almost automatically water relaunches while the Peak 4 meter can be more of a struggle. The FF flaps a LOT more. Launch, self land and packing is easier with the Peak. The Peak is less expensive.

I should be receiving my FF 6 meter soon.

gl
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget
Has thanked: 0

Postby gl » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:06 pm

I got out again today on the Firefly 6-meter. This time the wind started 13 to 17 knots then jumped to 16 to 22 knots. While the kite worked fine in the higher wind speeds I enjoyed it more in the 13 to 17 than I did in the higher wind speeds. It still went up wind well and was quite controllable but drifting down wind I had more speed. I prefer a little slower to play on the swells. I then switched to the Concept Air Wave 4.5 meter to see how it compared. I wasn't sure if I would have enough wind but there was lots. The wave moves through the air much faster and has a larger power spike. It drifts downwind nicely but it feels quite different. I was able to run straight downwind towards it without it dropping out of the sky but I kept my speed down. They are obviously for different winds speeds but it was interesting to feel the difference on the same day in the same wind. For the higher wind I preferred the wave. Although that might not have been the case if I had had a smaller Firefly. The Wave seemed to go upwind a little better but not a lot.

Return to “Foil Kites”