iKitesurf scammer

Forum for kitesurfers
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: ¤°

iKitesurf scammer

Postby POACHER » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:38 pm

I wasn't going to do this, but I feel like I should give other kiters a head's up on this guy -
Goes by Ethan Cole. Is selling a 2018 Naish Boxer 16 and bar for pretty cheap on iKitesurf Classifieds. Says he needs money for a project. The ad looks fishy straight away as the kite pic is the The Kiteboarder mag's review jpg. When asked for actual pics of the kite he'll send a couple that I'm sure were just Google Image searched off the internet. He won't provide any other pics. So that's a couple red flags. The real flag is that he asks for Friends & Family Paypal payment specifically so he doesn't have to wait for funds to clear for 30 days? (wtf?)
I had already suspected a scammer so I asked if he'd Skype/Facetime/What'sApp vid call to verify the condition of the kite....
six-crickets-featured-image-final.jpg
crickets

Won't reply to any other emails after asking to verify possession even. (show a pic of the kite with a copy of today's newspaper or today's date)
Ghosted.

So I emailed him from another email address and same shit. Will reply to my new account email, but not my original. As soon as I ask for current pics or to meet in person - gone.

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/42047

I almost think we should have a pinned thread of kite gear scammers. There's enough of these assholes out there in everyday life. Get rid of them trying to rip off kiters.
Some beginner looking for less expensive gear might fall for this and be out a good chunk of money.

If you have an iKitesurf account, go on there and FLAG him!
These users thanked the author POACHER for the post (total 3):
Toby (Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:08 pm) • SENDIT! (Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:32 pm) • andrzej351 (Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:47 pm)
Rating: 30%

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: iKitesurf scammer

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:43 pm

Scammers seem to be a lot more prevalent on iKitesurf recently. The common denominator seems to be that they all want PayPal "friends and family". Don't ever agree to that! Thanks, Poacher, for the heads up.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:21 pm

PayPal and Ebay have become problematic for selling something delicate as kites:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Man ... -p/1602716

As a result, online classifieds with shipping out of area can only be safe for buyer (PayPal goods and services) or seller (PayPal friends and family)

A two-way feedback system for iKite or Kite-Forum classifieds as the old-ebay method would help a lot.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: CrazyFly, Cabrinha, Concept X Ruler Split.
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:44 pm

Just buy with PayPal goods and services and follow the rules they state.
Good idea to read these before hand.
Discuss cost of this also beforehand, be sure who is paying the fees.
If seller won’t comply walk away.

I have recently sold a kite and a board from UK via Facebook to guys from Eastern Europe and both paid
PayPal friends and family, I guess they wanted to save the fees?
Both were very happy with their purchases, but not sure I’d have taken a similar risk.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Nice to see a month later iKitesurf still hasn't pulled this guy's scam listing for a Naish Boxer........wtf. :roll:

ikite.jpg
Myself and at least 2 others have reported it.

nothin. Stay hot iKitesurf.

Return to “Kitesurfing”