Small pocket board - looking for recommendation/advice

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
max
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Small pocket board - looking for recommendation/advice

Postby max » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:57 am

trod27 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:19 am
I started on 4'6"DC, went to 3'6" DC then to a homemade 37" (94cm) I loved its less swing weight. I bought a 42" Micro. I liked micro but don't need extra length and sold it.
Now I have 2 37" boards. One homemade 37" and a Kanaha Shapes 37"
Strapless and as said smaller board makes you ride foil not board. I ride Moses 683s
Love it
TomW has strong feeling regarding board size but I have to agree with you. I have not found the need to go bigger than my 94 cm board for any of my riding. It must come down to personal preference and riding style. I also ride the 683S/679 (same wing)

The racing guys around my area feel that the shortest they need to go is around 140cm

tkaraszewski
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Moses/F-One/Flysurfer mostly
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:32 am

One thing I think is interesting is that Tarifa Foil Boards' new Pro model race board is only 134cm. Everything's getting smaller, 130cm was a bigger "pocket board" last year, but now it's a full race board. I think this proves that you don't need *more* than 134cm for any discipline.

Here's the overview of the new TFB race boards:

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:13 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:32 am
One thing I think is interesting is that Tarifa Foil Boards' new Pro model race board is only 134cm. Everything's getting smaller, 130cm was a bigger "pocket board" last year, but now it's a full race board. I think this proves that you don't need *more* than 134cm for any discipline.

Here's the overview of the new TFB race boards:

Actually one of the good race guys here has an unheard of before 135 that he calls tiny but most others are still 140/145
These users thanked the author max for the post:
Wazza Foil (Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:06 am)
Rating: 10%

trod27
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Utah
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, Los Barilles, Deer Creek
Style: freestyle
Gear: Slingshot, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby trod27 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:22 am

max wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:57 am
trod27 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:19 am
I started on 4'6"DC, went to 3'6" DC then to a homemade 37" (94cm) I loved its less swing weight. I bought a 42" Micro. I liked micro but don't need extra length and sold it.
Now I have 2 37" boards. One homemade 37" and a Kanaha Shapes 37"
Strapless and as said smaller board makes you ride foil not board. I ride Moses 683s
Love it
TomW has strong feeling regarding board size but I have to agree with you. I have not found the need to go bigger than my 94 cm board for any of my riding. It must come down to personal preference and riding style. I also ride the 683S/679 (same wing)
Yes I agree. What I was trying to say is I went down to 37" (94cm) and rode it for a while and liked it. I wanted to try the new Micro as I already rode the old micro before 37". I rode new Micro and I just missed the agile feel of a shorter board. Same thing when I went from 4'6" to 3'6". I tried the 4"6"again and sold it right away. Once you get to the level of riding/starting on the wing then you ride the wing (foil). The board is just a platform.
I don't see riding anything smaller than 37", but I said that about 42". I got a friend riding a 33" all the time and loves it. I will probably try it next year.

Return to “Hydrofoil”