Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

help me find a spreader bar with a shorter hook

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

help me find a spreader bar with a shorter hook

Postby edt » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:48 pm

help me find a spreader bar with shortest hook compatible with dakine spreader bar. My lady friend's spreader bar hook is too long. I was on dry land with her practicing some unhooked tricks and found there was some stuff she had trouble doing because the spreader bar hook is just so damn long. It's 3 inches (8 cm) long, while my ride engine spreader bar hook is only 1.5 inches (4cm) long. Can't really shorten the chicken loop or switch to alternative style of attaching the control bar because like I said before, she's doing some unhooked stuff. Now I told her I can cut up her harness and sew it all back together with a ride engine spreader bar but she refuses to do that, she's in love with her current harness and will only accept a spreader bar that is a exact match so I don't have to cut and sew the straps.

Any advice? I don't see anything from dakine that works, they all seem ridiculously long. The ride engine is great size but I'm not allowed to sew in a new attachment. I need something that is 1.5 inches (4cm) long measured from the spreader bar out to the hook, and accepts the usual dakine straps on both sides. Help please! I've been searching online for a while can't find anything.

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Old fart style
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: help me find a spreader bar with a shorter hook

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:54 pm

If you cannot find a bar with a shorter hook, perhaps you can modify, shortening the hook by cutting it and welding it back on. I have not done it myself, but someone on this forum may have?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:55 pm

Get a short hook, cut the old long one off, and weld the short hook on. Welding stainless is no big deal, honest. Find someone local that does welding and I'm sure they'll do it for you for a few bucks. For example, look for metal fabricators, repairers of farming machinery and equipment, or similar.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Firewire/Tomo Surfboards
Loyd Surfboards
Brand Affiliation: iKitesurf

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:33 pm

edt wrote: The ride engine is great size but I'm not allowed to sew in a new attachment. I need something that is 1.5 inches (4cm) long measured from the spreader bar out to the hook, and accepts the usual dakine straps on both sides. Help please! I've been searching online for a while can't find anything.
Manera's s-bar should work. It's the same size and shape hook as the Ride Engine, but the strap attachments are compatible with a wide/narrow strap design or the dual 1" strap design like on Dakine. An added bonus is the strap attachment is offset (asymmetric) which helps hold the hook down better when tightened correctly.
https://bayareakitesurf.com/products/?item=35203
These users thanked the author Da Yoda for the post:
edt (Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:01 pm)
Rating: 10%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:00 pm

Tks da Yoda. Please I can weld sew stitch braze but she REFUSES see original post. Just part of the specifications no modded equipment allowed.

I took a look at the dakine push button spreader it looks a little shorter than the regular hammerhead
Last edited by edt on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Sbar is awesome just what I was looking for

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:10 pm