Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11, Slingshot Celeritas 5'8''
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Back Roll Advice needed

Postby vela99 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Hi,

I have only practiced back rolls with my surfboard (straps) on two days.

The first day I did them including unwanted very powerfull downloops followed by heavy crashes which finally caused me to stop practicing. I have been able to see that this is not unusual.

The second day, weeks later, I made a strong menthal efford not to pull with my rear of hand and I managed to avoid the kite from looping, except once, but I could not keep the kite quiet where it should be.

Is there a smart trick other than practice practice and practice with tons of crashes to avoid me pulling with my rear hand? I theorized about not pulling on the bar at all just using pop to jump and rotate or taking the rear hand off the bar altogether but this comes with other disadvantages.....

Thanks upfront for your comments.

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Re: Back Roll Advice needed

Postby yomotha » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:57 pm

Just mentally note which is your front hand before going into the backroll and then while doing the roll, keep that hand in mind as the only one to pull when half way through your roll... and be gentle... no need to pull the bar too hard. It's easy when you mentally focus on which hand is the forward hand.

It's been a long time since I learned backrolls, but I do remember having issues until I just told my brain... "this is my forward hand, only use that one' and problem solved.

SWO_kite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: BR, Mbay, Cedar, RB, KP
Style: Freeride
Gear: Very used kites, bars and boards

Postby SWO_kite » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:01 pm

Don't give up, this is only a basic move!

Try taking the rear hand completely off the bar during rotation. This will help with your brain having trouble with kite redirection when facing backwards. Additionally, this frees up your back hand for grabs.... Chicks dig grabs.

prop_joe
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: twin tips

Postby prop_joe » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Not really, hands in the centre of the bar if you’re not already doing so helps. Pulling front hand can counter it which you’ll need to do for sent back rolls anyway. I assume you mean kiteloops not downloops otherwise that’d be front hand.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Breeze 13m
Lieuwe Shotgun 132

Postby andylc » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Was just about to say the same! Or just keep doing what you’re doing and tell everyone how good you are at backloop kiteloops...

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:59 pm

Nothing to add, been well covered. You have to take your lumps like the rest of us ! We could sit you down and teach you all the tricks and you're still going to get beat down. It adds character !

vela99
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11, Slingshot Celeritas 5'8''

Postby vela99 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:34 pm

Thanks for all of the comments.

I do have my hands right in the middle but still pull too much on the rear hand.
Try to do as you said and accept some beating.

You are right, I meant kiteloop.
These users thanked the author vela99 for the post:
prop_joe (Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:40 pm)
Rating: 10%

Herman
Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:01 pm

Vella99

Just a self coaching suggestion. When the wind drops ending a session, instead of packing down straight away walk through lots of backrolls on the beach. To start with send the kite up, check it and remove the backhand and walk through the rotation. You can do this loads of times but if you find yourself being yarded backwards up the beach you know your technique is wrong. Joking aside I think it would help but be careful etc......

The rotation walk through will be easier if you put the kite up right to 12. Do it on both tacks and put the back hand back on once you have trained the brains avionics! A gentle pull on the front hand as you rotate will move the kite from 12 to Infront of you as you complete the rotation. Obviously on the water you can be more aggressive with the pull.

Regards Herman.
Last edited by Herman on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leeuwen
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 7/ 10 /12 / 17M, Alien air Foil, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon

Postby leeuwen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:38 pm

I really need to pull the front hand during the backroll. If I do not do that I land without enough speed to continue.
I also think if you send the kite to 12 before the backroll that the kite will continue in that direction unless you steer it again.

Another option would be to actually use the loop with a transition backroll. :)

In general I would recommend to try new things in low wind days with a big kite (eg 12m or larger with say 12-16 knots)
Larger kites need more steering input so less likely to accidentally loop them. Also crashes will be less painful.

prop_joe
Medium Poster
Gear: twin tips

Postby prop_joe » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:11 pm

Herman wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:01 pm
Vella99

Just a self coaching suggestion. When the wind drops ending a session, instead of packing down straight away walk through lots of backrolls on the beach. To start with send the kite up, check it and remove the backhand and walk through the rotation. You can do this loads of times but if you find yourself being yarded backwards up the beach you know your technique is wrong. Joking aside I think it would help but be careful etc......
Yeah awesome idea, if the beach doesn't give you enough of a beating then the locals probably will!!!
These users thanked the author prop_joe for the post:
pj sofine (Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:47 am)
Rating: 10%

Return to “Kitesurfing”