Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: OR Flite Self Launch Mishaps

Postby chibern » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:50 am

Bill C wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:26 pm
chibern wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:58 pm
Do you put some sand on the upwind portion of the canopy?
No sand. Just set the kite on its wing tip and walk back. Same when I land. If the kite is bouncing around due to wind, I lay my hand on the top steering line and walk back to the control bar or towards the kite when I land. Make sure where the wing tip is sitting, there aren't protruding sticks or shells with sharp edges. Also make sure your lines aren't crossed before launching. If its windy, depower your bar.

I've owned Liquid Force, Naish, Ozone, Switch and Cloud kites using the same procedure at nauseam.

Launching without an anchor or with back lines looks cool, but I eventually cut my kite with shells.
Sorry, I probably should've used the quote feature - "sand" comment was in response to the OP :)

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:04 am

If you have problems with bridle wrap:
- rig with the bar downwind
- pick up the bar and put a little tension on the lines, particularly the near side tip line.
- walk around the radius until you're in launch position.

The kite will slowly turn as you walk around. The bridles will be straight and not tangled. Once you're in launch position tweak the lines and launch.

With shorter lines (24m) and a flat beach I can keep the lines tensioned and held up so they sit above the ground and don't drag across the sand.

If the wind is super light keep walking until you're upwind then reverse launch.

If the wind is strong the kite might start to slide. Just step in a little and ease the tension on the lines. That will stop the sliding.

Tiny kites (4-5m) are very prone to slide, especially in the strong winds you want to use them in. Put a fair bit of sand on the canopy and walker further upwind before launching.

If the ground is horrible and likely to tangle or snag or damage the kite then consider a tethered launch.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:07 am

We drift launch regularly here due to complete lack of beach. Long bridles don't work well for drift launching regardless of brand.

My Switch Nitro 4 was a good kite, but that bridle was 5 miles long and created a few problems launching/relaunching. If it tumbled in the waves forget about it. You're done.

Compact bridles all the way.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra and Union, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:17 am

I regularly self launch my OR Flite with what is called a drag launch, though the flite will pop up without dragging at all - I just have to be careful of lines getting caughtg in the debris on the beach.

I use the method that Jake Kelsick has in his video here:

The big tip I haven't noticed in other instruction videos is the bit where he walks back downwind again after it flips up on a wing tip to move it closer to the wind window when you pop it into the air. The other tip is that once the wing is catching the wind you can let go of the bar as its tension on the front lines that gets it to roll over

ThickAir
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby ThickAir » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:22 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:04 am
If you have problems with bridle wrap:
- rig with the bar downwind
- pick up the bar and put a little tension on the lines, particularly the near side tip line.
- walk around the radius until you're in launch position.

The kite will slowly turn as you walk around. The bridles will be straight and not tangled. Once you're in launch position tweak the lines and launch.
OP here. Yep, that's exactly what I've tried. I've done many hundreds of self launches with many other kites no prob, but this big Flite is just a bitch with getting the bridle caught. Guess I'm going to have to start carrying an anchor around. :angryfire:

Hpr
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: 5th gear

Postby Hpr » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:06 pm

Pull the upwind bridle (the one closest to you, which I think is the one tangling in your case) from under the kite/leading edge bladder to in front of it before you walk to your bar.This way it stays clear of everything.
Try on a lighter wind day first to make sure you get it right and it works.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra and Union, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:28 am

My biggest Flite is a 12m so maybe the bridles are a lot bigger on the 14.5? - but I tend to see the OR bridles as shorter than many others. Have a look at an airush union bridle and it makes the Flite bridle look short.

I don't have problems drag launching the union either although I rig my lines perpendicular to the wind (narrow beaches and onshore wind). Maybe that helps to avoid the tangle?

Return to “Kitesurfing”