Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Honest advice lol

Postby Exal » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:50 am

edt wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:14 pm
The dice loops really hard, I would say it's the hardest looping bridled kite and loops almost as hard as a C kite, I can't tell the difference. I don't like the Dice myself for reasons given above (poor relaunch), but definitely an option if you want powered loops comparable to C kites. The torch by the way jumps higher than many bridled kites and there are a few bridled kites that don't jump as high as C kite, all depends on the kite.
I have dice (19'), rebel (19'), neo (18') and evo (19') with me at the moment and had 2 sessions so far on the dice and it did relaunch easily the rebel on the other hand is a bit of a c*** sometimes 🤣 Did you mean the relaunch is poor in light wind on the dice? Neo has great relaunch so that is my benchmark but can't have it all haha.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:18 am

I don't like the 2019 rebel much, I don't see any reason to get that instead of the Evo.

oksman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilhabela
Favorite Beaches: Ceara, Ilhabela
Style: Freeride, Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas 2018 9m and 13m
North TS 2018 138
Ronix Boots and NTT straps
Has thanked: 0

Postby oksman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:01 am

prop_joe wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:02 pm
consumer wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:40 pm
oksman wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:12 am
Vegas
actually C kites don't jump as well as modern "open-C"s or modern bow-is kites.

I'd recommend a Dice over a vegas. Ridden both I can definitely jump higher on the 2020 Dice.
I would assume oksman was aware of this before posting his suggestion. The difference in jump height is less significant in comparison to power in the loop, so I would say the Vegas suits his requirments more than the Dice. It's all about trade offs but if you want crazy loops it's got to be a C kite. In addition... jumping technique can always be improved where as loops are kite dependant.
You've nailed it!
I would also add that IMHO, with proper jumping technique, C kites are not very far from any other kite including big air specific machines. Big air kites can do that easier, but If you can hold tension on your lines on a C kite you'll boost high! Hang time is a different story though, but only on a regular jump.... If you're looping that really doesn't matter!
These users thanked the author oksman for the post:
pj sofine (Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:01 am)
Rating: 8.33%

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:07 am

Thanks all,my mind is churning and deciphering all this info! The good news , its the start of cold off season, i have some time to decide which kites to choose, sell off the remainder of my quiver, a 7,9,10 and 12 and lose the rest of weight I'm trying to loose. :strong:

Crissssssss
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Miami
Favorite Beaches: Varadero
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force NV
Has thanked: 0

Postby Crissssssss » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:51 am

pj sofine wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:07 am
Thanks all,my mind is churning and deciphering all this info! The good news , its the start of cold off season, i have some time to decide which kites to choose, sell off the remainder of my quiver, a 7,9,10 and 12 and lose the rest of weight I'm trying to loose. :strong:
If you wanna demo a hifix just let me know.
These users thanked the author Crissssssss for the post:
pj sofine (Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:24 am)

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:55 pm

What did you get?

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:19 am

Do-it wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:55 pm
What did you get?
Found 3 barely used kites,2019 12mtr rpm,2020 8 and 10 mtr. This covid situation,my moms failing health and lack of wind has put a damper on getting to know them ! One session on the 12,it flew nice,rode the 10 and it seemed aok.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebels 6M, 8m & 11m, 15m Juice, 17m Best Roca, on my Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:39 pm

You can't have a yank hybrid kite that also loops well?

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebels 6M, 8m & 11m, 15m Juice, 17m Best Roca, on my Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:44 pm

edt wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:18 am
I don't like the 2019 rebel much, I don't see any reason to get that instead of the Evo.
If you want to jump higher and have more airtime?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:49 pm

My feeling is that the evo and rebel fill the exact same spot in the duotone lineup both are all around free ride boosting kites. Now in 2016 or so when the rebel was a tensioned 5 line kite and the evo was one of their first 4 line kites this made sense. You had a 5 line kite for people that still wanted 5 line kites and a 4 line kite that filled the same rule. then a few years later the rebel also moved to 4 lines. Now you have two kites filling the same rule. You can decide for yourself if the rebel is better or the evo is better. I think the rebel was better when it was 5 line but now that it's also a 4 line kite like the evo I think the evo is just a little bit better in everything than the rebel is. In any case they shouldn't have both kites it confuses the consumer when two kites are so much alike and they are only both there for historical reasons as far as I can tell because back in 2010 the rebel was a great invention and people still remember their first kites fondly. Anyway, just get rid of one of them, I vote get rid of the rebel.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:35 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”