Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foil polesurfing

Forum for wing surfers
norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: Foil polesurfing

Postby norcom » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:32 pm

kitelife wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:51 am
Any foilers have a pole surfing rig with a foil for extremely light unstable conditions? Is it worth doing both so there’s never a down time?
I do both and the pole doesn't come close to the strings. Windsurfing requires a lot more wind to get going and onto the foil. Under 10mph is not really possible unless you're using sails over 7m (@180lbs) and/or a slight wave to get you up on the foil. Even if you do get flying, getting back upwind is a chore unless you can get on the foil without a wave. It's fun but a kite gives you the ultimate no-downtime.
These users thanked the author norcom for the post:
kitelife (Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:21 pm

foilholio wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:03 pm
Why does one of those wing surfers have his wing attached to the board?
Sorted.
These users thanked the author ronnie for the post:
norcom (Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:33 pm)

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Whattheflock » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:23 pm

The only time I go out "far" is if the wind is stronger.. Max 1km or doing a planned downwinder. Cant imagine the wind dying and paddling back 5 miles (8km!). F-that! I may not be fun at parties though.
These users thanked the author Whattheflock for the post:
Peter_Frank (Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:56 pm)

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:07 pm

When it's light and potentially shifty, there's more fun to be had windskating (or maybe now wingskating), the same effortless, energy-frugal motion as a foil, and it doesn't matter if wind shuts down. (and it costs f* all!)
I spend enough time foiling on water in good conditions to not bother with sketchy ones that would require a windsurfing grovel back to shore as contingency plan.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:29 am

bragnouff wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:07 pm
When it's light and potentially shifty, there's more fun to be had windskating (or maybe now wingskating), the same effortless, energy-frugal motion as a foil, and it doesn't matter if wind shuts down. (and it costs f* all!)
I spend enough time foiling on water in good conditions to not bother with sketchy ones that would require a windsurfing grovel back to shore as contingency plan.
So if it's too shifty to kitefoil just lace up the ice skates grab the wing and go for it?

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:42 pm

Eltreato wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:29 am
bragnouff wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:07 pm
So if it's too shifty to kitefoil just lace up the ice skates grab the wing and go for it?
Windskating: I mean a longboard skateboard with a windsurf rig!

kitelife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Postby kitelife » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:24 pm

norcom wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:32 pm
kitelife wrote:
Any foilers have a pole surfing rig with a foil for extremely light unstable conditions? Is it worth doing both so there’s never a down time?
I do both and the pole doesn't come close to the strings. Windsurfing requires a lot more wind to get going and onto the foil. Under 10mph is not really possible unless you're using sails over 7m (@180lbs) and/or a slight wave to get you up on the foil. Even if you do get flying, getting back upwind is a chore unless you can get on the foil without a wave. It's fun but a kite gives you the ultimate no-downtime.
Thanks, this made me reconsider. I would much rather be on a kite during kiteable conditions.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:35 pm

At my local spot there is a crew of windsurfers, one of whom windsurfs windfoils, kite surfs, kite foils & wing foils according to the conditions/his inclination. On one occasion the wind was light, side-on - too light for me to kitefoil. I would have had a hard time flying the kite (3 strut Lei), let alone getting going on the foil (700 sq cm). This guy went out on his windfoil & a 5.7m sail. Slogged offshore & hit a bit of a wind line. He was foiling comfortably. I would guess the wind was around 5 or 6 knots. The foil was a large GoFoil.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:41 am

kitelife wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:24 pm
norcom wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:32 pm
kitelife wrote:
Thanks, this made me reconsider. I would much rather be on a kite during kiteable conditions.

Very true, windfoil has its limits, somewhat higher winds than kitefoiling.

In 8 knots you can windfoil having the "perfect" gear, yes, but below that, does not work at all.

Where we can ride with 10 m2 kites on kitefoils in 8 knots, and in less wind with bigger kites :thumb:

Also, the "waiting for a gust" and pumping to get up, takes forever - so once up you keep riding in order not to drop.
Where we in kitefoiling starts very fast compared, and can play and have fun carving and turning in this wind.

So no gain whatsoever, on the contrary.

Only in offshore winds, it works great with windfoiling - as you can get out and in safely :thumb:
But more wind is needed, and a LOT more work to get up foiling when light...

8) Peter

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:30 am

Flyboy wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:35 pm
At my local spot there is a crew of windsurfers, ...

windfoil & a 5.7m sail...

He was foiling comfortably.
I have also had the experience of being beat in light wind by a windfoil. My limit is not flying the kite but getting myself up on the board. His board is almost a windSUP. I wonder if an SUP/winger board with foil would do it. I have even more trouble waterstarting a floating board as the board doesn’t push the water. But maybe Incould crawl up onto a SUP.

Return to “Wingsurfing”