jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Different kites in different sizes quiver

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:57 am

It’s ok brother. Were here to support you. As addictions go its one of the more wholesome vices. Now here are a few helpful tips:

Storage is key. Keep your quiver out of sight! You can’t just hang em on a wall anymore. No no no. Does she keep her shoes all lined up out there in the open? No, she doesn’t. You need a bat cave. Somewhere you can stash kites preferably where it would take some moving them to actually count em all. I like to unscrew the lightbulb a little bit.

Next up, camouflage. Kites often come in colourful bags. Ditch that new kite bag for an old one you’ve had for ages. Stuff the new one in the bat cave! Girls are really good at noticing details like hair cuts and stuff. Don’t think she won’t notice a new bag. She likely can’t not notice! Bag evaluation is one of her super powers.

Next is have your excuse at the ready, but not too ready. Say it casual as to better avoid the BS detector. Best to have a bit of truth to it. I like: Oh that? I got that for a steal a while ago. It’s just a tiny one. Thought it would make teaching the kids safer. You wanna see it? That last bit is the key. Threatening to pull it out and talk kiting is for sure the best way to get her to move on. It’s like the “these are not the droids you’re looking for “ trick. Works every time.

And lastly, support. You are not alone (unless your name is Matteo, then you’re definitely alone!), but we have a simple 12 step program. Well, it’s more like the same step 12 times but you end up with a 12 kite quiver just like me, er us, yeah us, right guys?

Anyway, welcome! You probably already have a few kites at this point so are already on what? step 4 ? Good for you, that’s like 1/3 of the way already!!
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 5):
Rob112 (Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:34 pm) • knotwindy (Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:21 pm) • mjb (Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:32 pm) • k2thiago (Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:04 pm) • Kitetwin-1 (Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:23 pm)
Rating: 15.15%

Rob112
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hove
Lancing
Shoreham
Worthing
Goring
Gear: Pivot
Asylum
Mixer

Postby Rob112 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:37 pm

Haha, great post and so true. Step 5, but with the extra pointers I'll be on my way to 12 in no time!

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:54 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:57 am
And lastly, support. You are not alone (unless your name is Matteo, then you’re definitely alone!), but we have a simple 12 step program. Well, it’s more like the same step 12 times but you end up with a 12 kite quiver just like me, er us, yeah us, right guys?
C'mon Say it! Matteo, Matteo, Matteo! I'll show up at your spot and marry your daughter (Betelgeuse reference for ESL).....Again, Sorry BIllie.

P.S. it is 13 foils (not including non-deopwer foils for training and as a mistake back in '07) and 11 tubies ( used to be 14 but 3 are irreparably destroyed from age now).
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
Speedster (Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:23 am)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:46 am

"Bag evaluation is one of her super powers."

Lol. Doug here locally always said "I won it in a raffle." First time she wasn't suspicious. Second time she wasn't suspicious. Third time, "How is it possible to win so many raffles?" Busted.

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:09 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:57 am
It’s ok brother. Were here to support you. As addictions go its one of the more wholesome vices. Now here are a few helpful tips:

Storage is key. Keep your quiver out of sight! You can’t just hang em on a wall anymore. No no no. Does she keep her shoes all lined up out there in the open? No, she doesn’t. You need a bat cave. Somewhere you can stash kites preferably where it would take some moving them to actually count em all. I like to unscrew the lightbulb a little bit.

Next up, camouflage. Kites often come in colourful bags. Ditch that new kite bag for an old one you’ve had for ages. Stuff the new one in the bat cave! Girls are really good at noticing details like hair cuts and stuff. Don’t think she won’t notice a new bag. She likely can’t not notice! Bag evaluation is one of her super powers.

Next is have your excuse at the ready, but not too ready. Say it casual as to better avoid the BS detector. Best to have a bit of truth to it. I like: Oh that? I got that for a steal a while ago. It’s just a tiny one. Thought it would make teaching the kids safer. You wanna see it? That last bit is the key. Threatening to pull it out and talk kiting is for sure the best way to get her to move on. It’s like the “these are not the droids you’re looking for “ trick. Works every time.

Anyway, welcome! You probably already have a few kites at this point so are already on what? step 4 ? Good for you, that’s like 1/3 of the way already!!
Hahahha genius right there! :thumb:

Rob112
Medium Poster
Lancing
Shoreham
Worthing
Goring
Asylum
Mixer

Postby Rob112 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:19 pm

So I've decided, the next quiver is (probably) going to be.....
5m and 7m Slash
8m and 10m Pivot
12m Boxer (maybe 12m pivot but thought the boxer would be more useful for light(ish) foil days).

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:55 am

Rob112 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:19 pm
So I've decided, the next quiver is (probably) going to be.....
5m and 7m Slash
8m and 10m Pivot
12m Boxer (maybe 12m pivot but thought the boxer would be more useful for light(ish) foil days).
12 m Boxer is a fantastic kite, definitely recommended for light wind days.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:53 am

That’s almost my quiver: 5/7 Slash, 8/11 Pivot, 14 Boxer. Also ride TT, SB and Foil. 14 Boxer because I still like to ride TT in lower winds as well. I will probably add an 11m Boxer for foiling next year.
These users thanked the author Dirk for the post:
Rob112 (Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Rob112
Medium Poster
Lancing
Shoreham
Worthing
Goring
Asylum
Mixer

Postby Rob112 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Dirk wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:53 am
That’s almost my quiver: 5/7 Slash, 8/11 Pivot, 14 Boxer. Also ride TT, SB and Foil. 14 Boxer because I still like to ride TT in lower winds as well. I will probably add an 11m Boxer for foiling next year.
How do you find the Pivots for foiling? I guess you prefer the boxer, hence adding the 11m along with the 11m pivot?

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:58 pm

I started foiling this summer, so not an awful lot of experience . I used the 11m Pivot in about 10 knots, gusts into probably 12 with a big foil and it was easy. GleitenTV (https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... /page/345/) , German platform , was astonished how good the Pivot (12m) performed at around 8 knots being very stable in the air. Relaunch is probably a different story.
I used the 14m Boxer in under 10 knots and it worked very well. However, I felt that I could already ride a smaller kite with the big foil, hence the plan to get an 11m. It’s probably a bit of luxury but I will also use it to teach my daughter in low winds.

Return to “Kitesurfing”