Local Beach: Ottawa, Hatteras
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Switch-Blade/RPM
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

February wind in Captiva Island

Postby Gronk » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Thinking of kiting on North Captiva Island in February.
Can anyone give me an idea of what type of wind to expect?

Leelanau
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Good Harbor, Frankfort
Gear: LF Thruster and Moses 101/637/420 foils on a variety of home-built boards.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: February wind in Captiva Island

Postby Leelanau » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:36 pm

I've kited on Captiva (though not North Captiva) a few times in recent years in late January and February. On most fair weather days the wind always seemed to have a bit of east in it, making anything on the Gulf side-off or off-shore. Even a south that felt side shore at the beach beach, felt a little bit more offshore once out in the water a ways. Stormy weather was out of the NW, so no problems at all. With access to a boat, there are probably some good kite-able areas on the Bay side of North Captiva, even some nice flatwater spots. But it'd be quite a hike without one.

Wind speeds typically seemed to run in the 10-18 knots. I was never skunked with the foilboard, but not always enough for TT.
These users thanked the author Leelanau for the post:
Gronk (Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:43 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Re: February wind in Captiva Island

Postby John Doe » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:56 am

Love to hear more about spending time on this, or nearby islands, and kiting. I used to go to Sanibel & Captiva when I was young & loved it! I actually learned to windsurf there about 40 years ago. Wouldn't mind moving to N. Cap or Sanibel or Little Gasparilla. Would love to hear from anyone that kites around there?

Return to “Kitesurfing”