Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Gorge - just moved from long island sound

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:32 pm

slowboat wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:57 pm
Your arrogance and immaturity comes through even when you are "apologizing". Learn some humility....it will improve your life.
Unfortunate comment. It takes all kinds at every age group. I know in our age group (the not 27 year old kids), there are lots of those who would say things that is essentially putting their foot in their mouth whether they meant to be funny or not. Heck even I do that sometimes.

But have some sympathy for the guy, for goodness sake. Would you really want to be a 27 year old kid growing up in today's society? He's got a lot more hurdles to get over then you had. And the more mistakes he's making, the more sympathy you should have for him. I mean he moved right across the river from Portland, Oregon!

kazi
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kazi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:58 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:32 pm
I mean he moved right across the river from Portland, Oregon!
:lol:

I moved from the NW to the East Coast and it's been a real challenge as far as finding people to kite with. The nicest guy I kite with is 76 years old and it's been about a year since I've heard from him. I went back the Gorge this summer and tried my hand at foiling at HR sandbar. I have to say I was surprised and super stoked with all the people I ran into. It made me proud to be from Oregon.

So to the OP I have to say you went to the right place. Be nice and inclusive and you'll find plenty of people to have fun with.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; SPI; La Ventana
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, SST 5m, Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/105cm masts with 590/330 695/425 683s/450 wingsets, Tim's 36" "woody", Slingshot Micro 3'6", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $480, Slingshot RPM 11m 2018 $600, Core XR4 10m $900, Core XR4 13.5m $980, Core XR4 17m $1075, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, BROkite carbon board 140x44cm like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530, 2019 Slingshot Guardian 17" brand new $260, 2018 Slingshot Guardian 20" bar $190
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:08 pm

Matteo V wrote:
...Would you really want to be a 27 year old kid growing up in today's society? ...
Of course!
All the endless knowledge and tools, great jobs and careers if graduating right, computing power, onewheels, drones, VR, amazing medicine, abundance of food, solved mysteries of preventable diseases, increased life expectancy, improving health, end of tobacco, peace, cheap flights/travel, fewer borders, civil liberties and gender equality, 3D printing, CNC, carbon, GPS, access to global information and news through endless resources of internet, sexual freedoms and victory of science over dogma. Ability to study/work hard and become rich. Ability to relocate and live anywhere in the world. Ability to go to Europe and study for virtually free. Minimal taxation until you make your way up. Elimination of the middlemen and middle women in manufacturing and trade.
We’re living in the future we dreamt of.
Combine above with hordes of lazy ones who don’t get educated but expect instant gratification and you have endless horizons to exploit lazy and uneducated ones.

We still have several people who can cross-nuke the planet in 35 minutes timespan but 80s were worse than today in that regard.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:12 pm

grigorib wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:08 pm
Matteo V wrote:
...Would you really want to be a 27 year old kid growing up in today's society? ...
Of course!
All the endless knowledge and tools, great jobs and careers if graduating right, computing power, onewheels, drones, VR, amazing medicine, abundance of food, solved mysteries of preventable diseases, increased life expectancy, improving health, end of tobacco, peace, cheap flights/travel, fewer borders, civil liberties and gender equality, 3D printing, CNC, carbon, GPS, access to global information and news through endless resources of internet, sexual freedoms and victory of science over dogma. Ability to study/work hard and become rich. Ability to relocate and live anywhere in the world. Ability to go to Europe and study for virtually free. Minimal taxation until you make your way up. Elimination of the middlemen and middle women in manufacturing and trade.
We’re living in the future we dreamt of.
Combine above with hordes of lazy ones who don’t get educated but expect instant gratification and you have endless horizons to exploit lazy and uneducated ones.

We still have several people who can cross-nuke the planet in 35 minutes timespan but 80s were worse than today in that regard.
Let me stir in your optimism with some pessimism to cook up a batch of realism for you:

great jobs and careers if graduating right, IF!!!

onewheels, A unicycle does not run out of battery and become a paper weight that you could hold down a stack of folded cardboard boxes with - so how is that an improvement? - at best, a OneWheel is a lateral move

computing power, No more worries about nuclear war - AI is going to kill all of us off......maybe with our own nukes or...read below

drones, 3D printing, CNC, carbon, GPS, And the coming drone/nano technology war - that should be fun, and hopefully a relatively painless death!

VR, if VR was remotely worth a s--t, none of us would kiteboard

amazing medicine, going bankrupt if you get sick in the US (only if you have insurance and are not rich) - or if you are in another Western country with supposedly free health care systems - dying while waiting for health care availability

abundance of food, obesitiy epidemic, genetically modified/hormone injected/pesticide and herbicide drenched....yummy!

solved mysteries of preventable diseases, increased life expectancy, improving health, living long enough to die of some horrible disease that no one used to live long enough to get 50 years ago, or dying after suffering for 10 years from age related deterioration in a sub humanly standard rest home where you live in horrible filth with no one to care for you

end of tobacco, and the fight to legalize all other drugs! But ban tobacco.....because that is naughty.....and evil.....but all other drugs are great.....

peace, ON FRIKIN MARS????? what planet are you looking at?

cheap flights/travel, for the rich! are you saying we have a global public transport system affordable for all people on earth regardless of income level??? I think you are missing the point that when you go to some country that you consider your vacation "cheap" in, most liekly the inhabitants of that country don't make what it cost you to go on that vacation in a year or ten

fewer borders, the UK is putting up a new one pretty soon

access to global information and news through endless resources of internet, and zero trustworthiness in any major news outlet, endless misinformation on the internet, and EVERY SINGLE THING you watch on TV or look up/read on the internet being tracked by corporations and ultimately your government or the government of other countries! How is that a good thing?

sexual freedoms and victory of science over dogma. "science" is leaning toward the realization that the break up of the family unit leads to increasing criminality and poverty. As in "leaning" I mean blatantly obvious, no study needed, clear as day truth, that this is the result of your statement - full stop!

Ability to go to Europe and study for virtually free. IF YOU CAN QUALIFY! - personally I wish we had a European style free higher education system here in the US so we could eliminate pretty much all of the idiots studying "basket weaving" and other worthless degrees that exist only to support idiot careers with the only employment option of becoming an idiot college professor to teach the same stupid idiot subject

Ability to study/work hard and become rich. Minimal taxation until you make your way up. So you don't pay any taxes if you are poor....sounds like there is just an incentive to NOT work - and then you have to pay for all the lazy people who don't work if you do make it.....sounds like there is another incentive to NOT work. ----- I think you may have stumbled upon the reason for Western societies decline!

Elimination of the middlemen and middle women in manufacturing and trade. Yes, the middle class has been a burden on society for far too long!!! VIVA la de el 2 caste system!!! The poor and the political ruling class! We cannot know for sure that it would not work out great since that has not been tried. But even if it had been tried out in a country such as...oh say Russia, they did not do it right anyway so you can't use them as an example

We’re living in the future we dreamt of. YOU HAVE SOME MESSED UP DREAMS, BUDDY! This is not the future our forefathers dreamt of.

Combine above with hordes of lazy ones who don’t get educated but expect instant gratification and you have endless horizons to exploit lazy and uneducated ones. They do get "educated"! Either by going to college for basket weaving, learning about supposedly oppressed minorities, or by being given special consideration and assistance for being one of those oppressed minorities. Then your hard work pays for them to complain more, resulting in them actually being oppressed by those that let them complain and feel sorry for themselves instead of just working hard and making something of themselves! - IS THAT WHAT YOU CALL A WONDERFUL FUTURE

So you wanna know what our forefathers really would say about the future in which we live? I think a quote from Spaceballs sums it up eloquently -

Good day!

Return to “Kitesurfing”