So after recent few threads about re-coating kites I decided to give it a try and I was really surprised by the result. Bottom line: super-easy and very effective for porous canopy.
Here's the long version:
2012 Northtone Rebel 8m. Used most weekends between 2012 and 2017, then retired because canopy stretched and the ripstop was like rice paper: super thin, if you wet it on one side the water would seep right away to the other side.
But amazingly (testament to Duonorth quality improvement since 2010) it holds air no problem and flies very nicely! It's all baggy and stretched (including the 5th nose line bridle, I had to shorten by 7cm) but it is a great 'disposable' wave kite - drifts nicely and turns very well with no power.
1. Washed, rinsed well, dried completely
2. Hanged it on a clothes line
3. Mixed one 100ml tube of Shoe Goo (original) with 500ml Toluene, so 5:1 ratio by volume. Mixing was easy, need to stir and shaking also very important. Takes a few minutes to mix completely (use a transparent PE plastic can so you can see what's happening). No problems shaking the toluene (no pressure buildup etc.), but respirator mask is necessary and gloves recommended.
4. Got a hand pump spray bottle from the dollar store (the kind you use for household cleaners). Adjust the nozzle to medium mist and just go to town on the kite topside canopy. I was not really paying attention as I assumed the kite was a throwaway anyway, bit it was dead easy just spray and move on when the area is wet. I got a bit on the black leading edge, I can see some faint whithish marks, you can tape it if you care (I don't)
5. I was surprised the Shoe Goo did not clump or dry out in the bottle; 100ml goo + 500ml toluene was more than enough for 1 coat, and 2 coats were not necessary, spray at your leisure.
6. Kite colors are nice and bright and canopy was crinkly 5 minutes after spraying. I let it hang there for 1 hour just because and packed it up - done!
Result: jumps are more than twice height and hangtime before the spraying. Kite flies nice as before. Zero - nada sand sticking. For canopy that has porosity issues (water seeping from one side to the other) this is a 10 USD cheap, easy, fast godsend!
- These users thanked the author sarc for the post (total 4):
- Baptiste_FR (Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:26 pm) • andrzej351 (Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:13 pm) • apollo4000 (Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:38 pm) • geokite (Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:16 pm)