Favorite Beaches: Le semnoz for snowkiting
Style: a l'arrache
Gear: Sup'air Takoon
Brand Affiliation: a lot
Has thanked: 0

Re: Aluula Composites | Episode # 135

Postby sms-kite » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:30 pm

Hello,

I design tube kite and foil kite since 2003.
I don't know if I am smart or a dude, but I can tell you why I am not running for this new fabric.

First because I don't know really well this fabric.
Second because the factory don't know this fabric
Third because today I know that a kite can ride many hours without trouble for the brands I am working with.

There is a lot of performant fabric in the market. For paraglider for boat sail... Ask a fabric top performance is easy. Built a kite, ask him to be ride at 40 degrés and - 20 degrés, ask him to support crash, rocks.... It is a little bit more complicated.

So we will see how it goes with this new fabric but to me it needs more than 2years of customer test... So révolution or cuben II, we will see in 2 years.

Best regards

Norbert

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:44 am

sms-kite wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:30 pm
Hello,

I design tube kite and foil kite since 2003.
I don't know if I am smart or a dude, but I can tell you why I am not running for this new fabric.

First because I don't know really well this fabric.
Second because the factory don't know this fabric
Third because today I know that a kite can ride many hours without trouble for the brands I am working with.

There is a lot of performant fabric in the market. For paraglider for boat sail... Ask a fabric top performance is easy. Built a kite, ask him to be ride at 40 degrés and - 20 degrés, ask him to support crash, rocks.... It is a little bit more complicated.

So we will see how it goes with this new fabric but to me it needs more than 2years of customer test... So révolution or cuben II, we will see in 2 years.

Best regards

Norbert
Cuben fiber was quite successful in kites, the best nemesis HP family of kites performed quite well and did not have the issues of the infamous hellfish,

It is not clear to me why best kiteboarding stopped building kites with CF leading edge, it would be interesting to ask Peter Stiewe at elevight.

I conjecture that at the time, the market was changing from big air old school where the nemesis and a stiff leading edge shined,

Perhaps if king of the air was around 10 years ago Cf would have continued,

With Kota, woo height records, and foiling, a lightweight stiff material is very timely,

nixmatters
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:49 am

Probably the 10x higher cost compared to dacron? :roll:

atomic-chomik
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby atomic-chomik » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:53 pm

The only people who are critical of these new OR kites and their material are people who A) Fly Foil kites and have never flown an Alulla kite and B)Have never flown an Allula kite. Keep that in mind. While i haven't flown one i have spent many hours seeing them flown and launching them- Im on Neo myself. Every one who has flown them that i know are very experienced kiters(10+ years) and they are all very impressed by them.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:26 am

I would like to hear an update from OR. I am curious if OR is still on track for a Mid-May introduction or if the COVID crisis has slowed them down.

I too am surprised by the haters. A lot of complaints about the pricing. Time will tell if Aluula is fad or fabulous, no reason to get upset in the meantime.

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:25 pm

I agree it's getting old reading people being critical of it when the product hasn't been released and only been tested by commoners in limited numbers at their test events. Overall I look at it below:

-Cost_Of course its going to cost more things always do when there is a new good technology out there. I won't be purchasing an Aluula kite until the prices become more affordable. I don't get to kite enough to justify the price.

-Durability_It should be a concern but only time and use will tell. It sounds like OR has been testing this material for awhile so they should have a good idea of its durability. If not and they are still bringing it to market it could prove a huge mistake for OR. Especially if people are paying premium for it.

-Performace_It's hard to get a serious take from the reviews I have read based on most who have tested seem to be fan boys or maybe paid one way or another by OR. Either way lighter kites do gain certain performances over heavier kites, especially in lighter winds.

Overall as some one that is an intermediate kiter who loves to kite when I get the opportunity to. I am watching how this progresses and excited for the new tech to advance the sport. In particular how it helps for light winds. I'll need a new light wind kite in a couple of years, which is why I am interested in seeing how this pans out.

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:46 pm

ralu81 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:25 pm
I agree it's getting old reading people being critical of it when the product hasn't been released and only been tested by commoners in limited numbers at their test events. Overall I look at it below:

-Cost_Of course its going to cost more things always do when there is a new good technology out there. I won't be purchasing an Aluula kite until the prices become more affordable. I don't get to kite enough to justify the price.

-Durability_It should be a concern but only time and use will tell. It sounds like OR has been testing this material for awhile so they should have a good idea of its durability. If not and they are still bringing it to market it could prove a huge mistake for OR. Especially if people are paying premium for it.

-Performace_It's hard to get a serious take from the reviews I have read based on most who have tested seem to be fan boys or maybe paid one way or another by OR. Either way lighter kites do gain certain performances over heavier kites, especially in lighter winds.

Overall as some one that is an intermediate kiter who loves to kite when I get the opportunity to. I am watching how this progresses and excited for the new tech to advance the sport. In particular how it helps for light winds. I'll need a new light wind kite in a couple of years, which is why I am interested in seeing how this pans out.

I agree, if cost is to high I wont buy either , then maybe you can add a gong kite to your normal quiver for 400 euro if you want kite for foil :) In sweden a 2300euro for a 10m aluula roam :) If you buy the last year new kite is about 866 euro 10m. 1500euro for this year kite.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:18 pm

If you have big tube kites, performing like a foil kite, you have a good market. Look what you pay for a foil kite...so there is a market.
Not young freestylers...older guys with cash.

I for example hope for a 20 sqm kite that performs like a big foil kite.

I hope OR does some testing with this too

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 7, 9, 12 Crazyfly Bulldozer 2020 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.

Postby Faxie » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:22 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:18 pm
If you have big tube kites, performing like a foil kite, you have a good market. Look what you pay for a foil kite...so there is a market.

Lighter weight and a bit smaller tube diameter are the only real advantages I can see at the moment.

Foil kite shape, but with a tube, I'm not too sure about yet... for a 20sqm tubekite you'll need almost 18-20 meters of LE tube, plus some struts probably, and although it weighs less, that's still a lot of material (plus bladder offcourse). Plus, because the material is stiffer you can reduce the diameter, but also because of the big length needed, you'll need to increase diameter again for structural integrity, potentially destroying the performance benefits that you got from the higher aspect, making foil kites still more performant in the end maybe...

Well....experimentation will clear things up in the future hopefully, and reveal where the limits are.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:38 pm

Faxie wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:22 pm
Toby wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:18 pm

Lighter weight and a bit smaller tube diameter are the only real advantages I can see at the moment.

Foil kite shape, but with a tube, I'm not too sure about yet... for a 20sqm tubekite you'll need almost 18-20 meters of LE tube, plus some struts probably, and although it weighs less, that's still a lot of material (plus bladder offcourse). Plus, because the material is stiffer you can reduce the diameter, but also because of the big length needed, you'll need to increase diameter again for structural integrity, potentially destroying the performance benefits that you got from the higher aspect, making foil kites still more performant in the end maybe...

Well....experimentation will clear things up in the future hopefully, and reveal where the limits are.
That depends on how much stiffer Aluula is than Dacron.

Return to “Kitesurfing”