Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Forum for kitesurfers
Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Covid-19 - How does it affect your kite-life?

Postby Daversj » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:24 am

I have a family member who works at a big pharmaceutical development outsource company that i wont name. They are doing phase 1 drug trials for this currently. He gets briefed every day on covid19 by those doing the drug trials. Apparently there will be no quick fix to this as he has been told. Have a months supply of food in the house is what he told me. Neither he nor i are scared of much but this is a big deal. People need to take take this seriously, and not make it worse. Carelessness will get someone you know killed.
These users thanked the author Daversj for the post:
iriejohn (Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:32 am

matth wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:31 pm
Pemba wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:15 am
matth wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:49 am

Inexcusable for the second richest country on the planet...

I completely agree that this is terrible to watch. But do you find the way we produce cattle, pigs, chicken etc excusable ? Pig on a stick is Ok, but not cat on a stick ?
The US system is certainly not perfect, but to compare it to the Wet Markets is comical....We are talking about raw ,hot, exposed, non refridgarated meat from many species in filth and close proximity. Now throw in live filthy animals in the same area in cages and you have a cesspool of germs and disease.

I am not talking about what they eat, thats fine. I am talking about how it is handled and the complete lack of any oversight or concern for public health....

I didn't compare them. I think terrible things are also going on in the US and Europe that we'd rather not know about (by the way I'm a meat eater). Personally I think the Chinese probably made a mess of things by trying to hide etc etc. I also think that Trump is an insecure bombastic liar who would do the same if he could. He made a mess of things in the beginning but now seems to be doing Ok. Europe still seems to be doing worse than the US by the way and they didn't have Trump so... But all this gets us nowhere, we need to think forward. Although China had zero warning they were able to control it quite quickly while Europe and the US had some sort of warning and so far are not anything. There must be a lesson there somewhere. So far as far as I can see we all seem to be copying each other so we can a expect similar situation as in Italy. Maybe I'm wrong.

I happen to live in Mozambique, borders are closed. I have seen estimates saying that 96% of the population here is expected to get it. Also that there are 24 ventilators in the whole country. I think like many many other people, I'm not concerned now if the Chinese did bad, if Trump did bad etc. More about where we are on the curve etc, and practical stuff.

Toby, I really hope your mother will be Ok. At least I hear Germany has many ICU's and ventilators per capita, more than other european countries.
These users thanked the author Pemba for the post:
Toby (Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:47 am)

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:42 am

It was on the 8th of March when this thread was started. It is terrifying how quickly this situation has developed. With disasters the secondary effects are often worse than the primary effect, break down in trade, manufacturing etc could have very serious consequences. Lets hope that 50 pages later things are looking more positive. Take care.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:56 am

Thx for all your wishes guys!

Yes, Germany’s health system is good, therefore comparable less deaths.
But if things get worse, will be too much as well.
Happy that we can help our neighbors like Italy and France with flying intensive care patience to German hospitals.

I am also happy that my mum is now in hospital...maybe if things get worse she could face the “triage” (doctors have to decide who gets a treatment and lives and who not).
But, she is strong and healthy, still works at 80...so pretty sure she will pass this and be immune afterwards.

But all you guys out there, if your parents are old an weak, isolate them immediately. Don’t let them get in touch with anything. Only way to make sure they will make it just fine.

Good luck to everyone 👍🏻
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
purdyd (Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:20 pm)

PabloQ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Quilmes Buenos Aires
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe, Cumbuco, Cofeco
Style: AirStyle Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, Psycho4, Ocean Rodeo Razor Rise, Naish Park, Vari Condor 2, Slingshot Turbo 3

Postby PabloQ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:21 pm

:naughty: :bye:

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Shooting people for surfing? Fucking aholes. Bring a gun and shoot back.

https://twitter.com/PhdParody/status/12 ... 5825526784

This is what life is going to be like in 3 months, after you prematurely lock down at a sub 1% infection of population like much of the world is. New lock downs in China.

top comment
But if the Wuhan virus is defeated in China, why do they close off Guangdong?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lets just keep doing 2month lock downs for every 1%, that's 200 months of lock downs or with 1 month gaps 25 years of this bullshit or more likely with mutations endless. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't worry though some countries will be over this and have immunity in about 2-3 months while most of you are just getting out of your FIRST set of lock downs.

My prediction 6 to 12 months of this and lots of politicians heads will be rolling around detached from their bodies. China will probably be the first to start with this new virus tackling strategy. Poo bear winnie the poo bear, oh where is your head go.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:18 pm

My kitesurfing friends in South Africa are sharing videos of people riding bicycles and surfing being arrested. They are no longer risking kitesurfing.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 pm

UKSurf wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:42 am
It was on the 8th of March when this thread was started. It is terrifying how quickly this situation has developed. With disasters the secondary effects are often worse than the primary effect, break down in trade, manufacturing etc could have very serious consequences. Lets hope that 50 pages later things are looking more positive. Take care.
Indeed, unfortunately the amount of denial, ignorance and comparing this to normal flu dominated back then and here we are now :(
Fingers crossed.

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's
Has thanked: 0

Postby mike dubs » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:21 pm

Toby,

There is no point isolating old parents if their adult children in this forum keep going out kiting etc and catch Covid and then visit their parents. I keep seeing videos/ posts of people going out still and kiting, winging, SUPing together. They will be stopping for gas, food, money on the way, no doubt being less than 2m away to their buddies on the beach. For gods sake people stay at home, don’t go out other than for food and stop spreading it. You only need to look at US numbers to see what damage a late/lax isolation instruction is taking them. PS a month ago I was in denial about all this but it’s overwhelming if not choked quickly. Mike

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:29 pm

If isolated, This also means to stay away from your parents.

Return to “Kitesurfing”