Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Adaption to smaller size kite

Postby plummet » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:55 pm

Its just ride time. Get out there and spend time on it. If possible that is! 6m weather isn't around that much.

Hands in the middle of the bar helps particularly when not turn.

I'm generally am the other way round. I ride small kites a lot. Then when I get back on the big kites, I'm like What is this slow piece of shit.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:24 pm

vela99 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:26 am

Given I use the same bar I use for my 11m but with the narrow setting, I think the bar throw is too long.
Chances are you will not need all the bar throw for the 6m but this is not a problem, you just need to trim for where you want it to work. If you like to have it far away from your body you may need to put in a stopper above the chicken loop if you can't handle the oversheeting/backstall that would be available but you will get used to it as previously mentioned. It would be unusual to use a bottom stopper with modern kites.

Another problem may arise if you have got into the habit of riding your big kites powered and letting your bar rest on the bottom of the trim strap, this may not be sensible for small kites.

Personally, for my 6m I have a massive bar throw so that the leash is virtually redundant. Also makes it easy to tether launch and is more or less guaranteed max depower if I release the bar. I don't trim on the fly because I always have the full working sheeting range on the bar. But I do trim this positcion on the pigtails for the conditions of the day. However you do have to learn to spin the bar without releasing it.

PS non of this is a big deal, you can just get on with your current set up and let your own preferences develop naturally.
Last edited by Herman on Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:00 pm

plummet wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:55 pm
I'm generally am the other way round. I ride small kites a lot. Then when I get back on the big kites, I'm like What is this slow piece of shit.
Most kiters have an issue with this. But at its root, it is completely psychological. A small kite is fast enough to redirect almost as fast as you. So you tune your self to the kite speed. Mid-range kites from 10 to 14 m, operate at about 1/3 the speed which you can. So every redirect is preceded by a relatively fast setup and planning stage. Large kites from 15 to 21 m, operate at 1/6 to 1/8 the speed at which you can move. So every redirect is preceded by an even slower tempo set up.

The key to using small kites if you use big kites mostly, is just focusing on one thing or movement or trick with each kite movement.

The key to using big kites if you normally use small kites, is to try to do a few things inside of each movement of the kite.

This is hard for people to wrap their heads around on this on the water because it takes completely switching gears when the wind speed is significantly different than what you are used to. Everyone is resistant to switching gears, but some people never push themselves to be able to actually do it, since it takes a bit of commitment. But inside of each wind speed, is a whole different world where you can do things that you can't do (in the same manner) at other wind speeds.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
kiteykitekite (Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:44 am)
Rating: 3.03%

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:19 pm

Also, the water conditions usually change considerably with wind speed so certain things are more fun with different wind, kite & water conditions. I don’t want to do the same tricks or riding as the conditions change. Embrace and abide.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:37 am

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:00 pm
plummet wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:55 pm
Most kiters have an issue with this. But at its root, it is completely psychological. A small kite is fast enough to redirect almost as fast as you. So you tune your self to the kite speed. Mid-range kites from 10 to 14 m, operate at about 1/3 the speed which you can. So every redirect is preceded by a relatively fast setup and planning stage. Large kites from 15 to 21 m, operate at 1/6 to 1/8 the speed at which you can move. So every redirect is preceded by an even slower tempo set up.

The key to using small kites if you use big kites mostly, is just focusing on one thing or movement or trick with each kite movement.

The key to using big kites if you normally use small kites, is to try to do a few things inside of each movement of the kite.

This is hard for people to wrap their heads around on this on the water because it takes completely switching gears when the wind speed is significantly different than what you are used to. Everyone is resistant to switching gears, but some people never push themselves to be able to actually do it, since it takes a bit of commitment. But inside of each wind speed, is a whole different world where you can do things that you can't do (in the same manner) at other wind speeds.

Speaking for yourself, perhaps?

I've been using my 6m on most rideable days this winter but last week used my 12m for the first time for several months. It requires a mind change, of course, but that is all it is. Of course it's like a truck compared to a 6m, but that's in the nature of the beast.

Simples [sic].

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:56 pm

Thanks again to all, I like the hint on moving the kite allowing to even out the lack of grunt.

Intuitively this and being more delicate on the bar should do.

I am generally quite agressive moving the kite but may have been more careful on my first 6m sessions then I was aware.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:12 pm

On the technique side of things you need to change your mindset from park and ride to working the kite for power.

This is the key difference. Go out underpowered an loop the shit out the kite. Work it HARD. Wang it around and just get used to the power spikes and kite speed. You can even do this on the beach in light winds.

Once you can skud yourself down the beach without stopping looping and signing the kite to generate power you are pretty much on top of small kite flying.

Personally, I love small kites. You can be soooo much more precise with flying them. Particularly for wave riding where fast direction changes happen often. The small kite allows you to far greater accuracy to get the kite where you want.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:00 pm

Wow, 6m what a monster kite!
My usual big kite is a 5m Peak4 and my small kite is a 3m Peak4. The 3m kite is very fast and very sensitive to oversheeting as the depower movement on the bar is way shorter than larger kites. When I first started using the 3m kite it was very carefully being my first time with any Peak4 and I didn't want to drop it and swim in if I couldn't relaunch. Being careful gave me time to get used to the kite and I found it wasn't going to drop unless the wind totally died. However if I went from the 5m to the 3m kite I learnt to take the first offshore gybe very carefully as your body gets used to the previous kite and you can do what I did ,and violently turn the kite straight down into the water.

Swimming in gave me time to think about not doing that again. Subsequently time on the water with the 3m Peak4 has kept it out of the water and with a surf foil it's fantastic fun from 14 knots. It's so much fun on a foil that all I have to do is flog the kite around the sky and if it can get me up on the board I'm good. Apparent wind does the rest and I can fly the kite with one hand on the bar even in gusty wind, as the control movements with a small kite are very small. Small kites are the most fun, when you have enough wind, as when you get used to them they are almost an extension of your mind, moving at the speed you can think. So practice as much as you can with your small kite, be very sensitive with sheeting and turning, and your mind will soon get up to speed :D

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:12 pm

Imho there are two main points in this thread that are worth clarifying:

A. Small kites have a shorter bar travel sheeting range.
B. The joy of small kites is they are fast and easy to work.

A suggests a delicate touch so as not to choke the kite etc; B suggests an aggressive approach with lots of positive inputs.

Obviously both are required for different circumstances. When very powered go with A if you have to, but whenever possible go with B. This will give the fastest progression imho. You will soon get used smaller bar movements, just feel the line tension!

Also, with both A & B when you gybe, particularly if it is onto a wave, once you send the kite across the window learn to sheet in hard with a little steer from the new backhand to keep the kite in front of you rather than letting it zip off to the edge of the window.

Personally I think being delicate is rarely an appropriate mindset for small kites as they are easy to recover. Usually I reserve being delicate for big kites in very light wind. Obviously big would be less big if hydrofoiling!

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:04 pm

The very best feeling is when you get overpowered on your 8m and are struggling to enjoy the kiting, come in and pump up your 6m and when you go out suddenly it will all be smooth and easy to kite in what had become unkitable. Wonderful!

Return to “Kitesurfing”