Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Re: Duotone Rebel 2020 vs RRD Addiction 2020

Postby lindseym » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:20 pm

Each kite has its own unique "feel" and this needs to be the ultimate basis of your decision. You could have a kite that "does it all" but for whatever reason, it just doesn't give you everything you need. Try and demo as many kites as you can, push the limit of what you can do (e.g tricks), and let this be the basis for your decision. Truth be told, its hard to find a kite these days that absolutely sux. You will be fine with any dependable name brand. The Rebel for me was perfect and yes, as mentioned above it definitely holds its value.
As any fyi - I ride strictly Rebels and am 70 Kilo (about 155lbs). The range on my 2020 Rebel with a 136 TT is anything between 11 and 22kts with zero issues. Once it gets in the low/mid 20s i switch down to my 11m. Unfortunately in Tampa we get alot of light wind so I spend most of my time on my 14m Reb and twin tip.
These users thanked the author lindseym for the post:
kitesonic (Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:31 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:12 am

kitesonic wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:08 pm

I really appreciate your message.

The point is that I am able to get only one kite at the moment and for safety I don´t trust the used ones. I really want to buy a brand new kite. In the end, if I have to move from another place again I can sell it for a good price and fast or even keep it and use for at least a few more years.

Thank you tho.
Hi Kitesonic,

If you're still new to the sport, I suggest sticking with a 3-strut all rounder like the Evo instead of the Rebel. It's much easier to use and much more forgiving. It won't hurt you as bad on crashes and stays in the air more reliably when the lines are slacked. Also, in that light of wind the lighter 3-strut will fly better.

If you're already comfortable with general looping tricks (like darkslides) and want to go for an airstyle path, then the Rebel will give you more hangtime. You'll also probably want a larger kite to be more powered.

New kites are tremendously exciting and you'll enjoy whatever you choose. Good luck :).
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
kitesonic (Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:31 am)
Rating: 3.03%

kitesonic
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 53Kg
Local Beach: Fonte da Telha
Favorite Beaches: Fonte da Telha - Setúbal - Portugal
Costa da Caparica - Setúbal - Portugal
Ipanena - Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
Mataízes - Espirito Santo - Brasil
Style: Freerider / Big Air
Gear: Duotone Rebel 9m 2020
Brand Affiliation: WindSpirit
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesonic » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:45 pm

Thank you folks for all the advises. I just bought the Rebel 9m and I really loved. It is not too fast and then I don't get in trouble with my control mistakes and it has a really good hanging and power. I really loved.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:53 pm

kitesonic wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:45 pm
Thank you folks for all the advises. I just bought the Rebel 9m and I really loved. It is not too fast and then I don't get in trouble with my control mistakes and it has a really good hanging and power. I really loved.
Awesome! Enjoy the new toy. You won't be disappointed with your choice :)

Justinbeswick
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 64
Local Beach: Watamu
Favorite Beaches: Kanani, Jacaranda, Mayungu, Watami
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Range of kites and brands, including some classics from 2003!
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Justinbeswick » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:34 pm

I bought an RRD Passion and love the kite BUT, I will never buy an RRD again. Their customer service is shocking (non-existent) and it’s really difficult to get spare parts..whereas these bigger brands such as Duotone and others don’t have that issue and a therefor the better option.

Return to “Kitesurfing”