Gear: 7m Nomad
9m Drifter
North Gonzales 135 x 38
Cotan 5'6
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Free Ride Twin Tip Cabrinha Tronic or Shinn Monk

Postby africandreaming » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:57 am

I am looking for a new free ride board for riding in waves and choppy conditions. I am 85kgs riding mostly Drifter and Nomad kites, i currently have a 2011 North Gonzales 135 x 38 which was my first board and I only bought it as it was affordable so not sure the size is right.

I would like some feedback on these boards, how they go in these conditions and what size would be recommended. I can get a 137 x 41 Tronic 2015 second hand but think I made need a bit bigger in the Tronic and also see the newer Tronics have a more rounded rail?

Any advise on these boards or any others would be much appreciated.

Exal
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Re: Free Ride Twin Tip Cabrinha Tronic or Shinn Monk

Postby Exal » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:46 am

I had a 133x41 monk ghost as my first board. It is a really soft board, goes through chop easily and is soft on the knees, the fins are a bit big which gives you a strong edge but didn't feel that playful, the straps are nice but close a bit if pressure gets applied from crashing or the like. Cool board I regret selling it.
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
africandreaming (Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:41 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

jms
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Botany Bay, Sydney
Gear: Ozone, CrazyFly, Switch
Has thanked: 0

Postby jms » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:13 am

I've got a 145x43 cm tronic probably from around 2016. Works great in the chop, my previous board would get caught and trip me up, the tronic is much better. It works well for me in the waves, although I haven't tried a heap of alternatives. The only time I felt like it wasn't enough was when we had fast moving long period monsters and I was having trouble holding the speed needed to keep up - word on the beach was that a strapped surfboard would have worked better. I haven't tried a monk so couldn't compare, but it sounds similar.

I'm 95kg and want a smaller board for boosting in the big winds and also a bigger (or more efficient) board for light winds, so that size must be a reasonable all rounder for my weight. You definitely need to size up compared to flatter more square twintips.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 81kg, 1.80m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: This 'n that
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun 138 x 42
Ozone Enduro V2 7m/9m/12m
Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5m Aluula

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:57 am

Exal wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:46 am
I had a 133x41 monk ghost as my first board. It is a really soft board, goes through chop easily and is soft on the knees, the fins are a bit big which gives you a strong edge but didn't feel that playful, the straps are nice but close a bit if pressure gets applied from crashing or the like. Cool board I regret selling it.
Agree with that ^^^, but didn't regret selling my Monks (had 2 of them).

After the Monks had a North (Duotone) Select Textreme which I didn't like - not as good a chop eater as the Monks, and I found it slow (perhaps because I felt I had less control).

Now have a Lieuwe Shotgun which is a great chop eater, stacks of grip, and kind to my damaged knees. With Duotone NTT straps it's perfect with different settings for bootees in winter and bare feet in summer.

Return to “Kitesurfing”