Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lightwind Kiting Options

Forum for kitesurfers
Onda
Frequent Poster
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:12 am
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: North Sea (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Baltic Sea (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, increasing foiling
Gear: CORE / Flysurfer / Naish / Firewire / Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 44 times
Contact:

Re: Lightwind Kiting Options

Postby Onda » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:57 am

If you want to learn to foil, don´t try it in very light wind as this makes it much more difficult. You don´t want to focus on keeping your kite flying while messing around with that new foil thing. The wind should be strong enough to let your kite fly without really caring for it.
When you don´t go out in too light winds, you don´t have to care about relaunch properties of foil kites. They simply won´t drop into the water. The same is true for LEI kites. Simply resist the longing to try it even though you know better ;-)

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:36 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Lightwind Kiting Options

Postby ScoopZ » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:39 am

What is your riding goal for those 10-15 conditions? Getting upwind? mowing the lawn?

Most people mow the lawn on a hydrofoil and at my spot limited foot change ability. You could consider a 7-8 year old race board (North 69/RRD K race) or sector 60 at a quarter of the cost of a foil. Near enough similar upwind gains in these conditions. The bonus is you can progress foot changes much faster before hoping onto a foil soon after. I have a sector 60, dug it out of storage after years and i'm matching positions with the guys on foils in >10kts of wind. By modern marketing standards "it's a game changer"

Kitewise a 3 strut 12m is very flexible, as long as its not over built and its stable in lulls. I don't see the point of spending 2000+ on a foil kite if yet to master the basic manoeuvres.

ice1969
Medium Poster
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:31 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 180
Local Beach: New Jersey
Favorite Beaches: Anegada / Loblolly Bay, Sandy Spit / Jost Van Dyke
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Slingshot SX 143
Nobile XTR
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lightwind Kiting Options

Postby ice1969 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:20 pm

Onda wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:57 am
If you want to learn to foil, don´t try it in very light wind as this makes it much more difficult. You don´t want to focus on keeping your kite flying while messing around with that new foil thing. The wind should be strong enough to let your kite fly without really caring for it.
When you don´t go out in too light winds, you don´t have to care about relaunch properties of foil kites. They simply won´t drop into the water. The same is true for LEI kites. Simply resist the longing to try it even though you know better ;-)
It'll be hard to resist, especially if I have the gear, but I'll do my best. Thanks for this good advice!

ice1969
Medium Poster
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:31 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 180
Local Beach: New Jersey
Favorite Beaches: Anegada / Loblolly Bay, Sandy Spit / Jost Van Dyke
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Slingshot SX 143
Nobile XTR
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lightwind Kiting Options

Postby ice1969 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:26 pm

ScoopZ wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:39 am
What is your riding goal for those 10-15 conditions? Getting upwind? mowing the lawn?

Most people mow the lawn on a hydrofoil and at my spot limited foot change ability. You could consider a 7-8 year old race board (North 69/RRD K race) or sector 60 at a quarter of the cost of a foil. Near enough similar upwind gains in these conditions. The bonus is you can progress foot changes much faster before hoping onto a foil soon after. I have a sector 60, dug it out of storage after years and i'm matching positions with the guys on foils in >10kts of wind. By modern marketing standards "it's a game changer"

Kitewise a 3 strut 12m is very flexible, as long as its not over built and its stable in lulls. I don't see the point of spending 2000+ on a foil kite if yet to master the basic manoeuvres.
Getting and staying upwind would be ideal. I love the feeling of flying across the water. This seems like a great suggestion, too, as I don't have the jibing/gybing/foot changing skills yet. Especially facing the purchase of new(er) kites, I'd be happy to postpone the hydrofoil purchase for a bit longer yet.

ice1969
Medium Poster
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:31 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 180
Local Beach: New Jersey
Favorite Beaches: Anegada / Loblolly Bay, Sandy Spit / Jost Van Dyke
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Slingshot SX 143
Nobile XTR
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lightwind Kiting Options

Postby ice1969 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:27 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:18 am
A couple video links you might enjoy:

https://youtu.be/md6HhZ4pmNw

https://youtu.be/nGrJSRvffcU

https://youtu.be/Tcf5Jllo7P8
Looks like a ton of fun! Thanks for sharing these!

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2435
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:40 pm
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.
Location: Denver, Colorado, U.S.
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Lightwind Kiting Options

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:38 pm

These guys have good lesson videos:

https://www.progression.me/player/colle ... collection

ice1969
Medium Poster
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:31 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 180
Local Beach: New Jersey
Favorite Beaches: Anegada / Loblolly Bay, Sandy Spit / Jost Van Dyke
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Slingshot SX 143
Nobile XTR
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lightwind Kiting Options

Postby ice1969 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:43 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:38 pm
These guys have good lesson videos:

https://www.progression.me/player/colle ... collection
Thank for this recommendation!

User avatar
Archer77
Medium Poster
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:42 pm
Favorite Beaches: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 Groove 500 141/44
Ozone Zephyr V5 17m
Ozone Catalyst V1 12m, 9m, 7m
Location: Italy
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Lightwind Kiting Options

Postby Archer77 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:07 pm

this too is super!



Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 59 guests