Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboarding with a kidney transplant?

Forum for kitesurfers
UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiteboarding with a kidney transplant?

Postby UKSurf » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:51 pm
TomW wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:45 pm
Dont show that video of Dimitri to your doctor. :)

If you were asking me to teach you, i would ask:
Can you swim 200m in open ocean ?
Can you dive down 2m and swim a bit?
Can you do 50 sit-ups, and 20 push-ups in a row?
Can you jump from a 1m high object onto hard ground onto your feet?
If not, I wouldn't recommend it.

I started at 40, 60 yrs now and kite 100-150 sessions year round. All foiling now.
I think that's pretty much on the money. I started at 42 & I'm 62 now. There's a world of difference between being 62 (even a fit 62) & 42. I'm willing to bet there's an even bigger difference between being 62 & 72. It's one thing to have the skills & gradually age, it's another thing to try & learn those skills at an advanced age. Not saying it can't be done, but I'm betting the vast majority of 70 year olds would not be up for it.

In any case, should the OP give it a try, it would be very interesting to hear about his experiences ...
I think you are right about there being a big difference between being over 60 and already having years of experience and continuing to kite and learning when you are over 60. From what i understand billie was already a kitesurfer before his incident and just had to learn to adapt what he already knew to his new situation. I would imagine the vast majority of people on this forum will have stopped kitesurfing by the time they reach 70 for good reason. I am sure we all have stories where we had to get ourselves out of trouble and if we were not in the best of health things might have ended up differently. I would say supping could be a great sport to try if you are in good shape, more senior in years and want to get out on the water and have a challenge.

The bottom line is if for some reason you want to kitesurf there is probably a way but do not think it will be easy or without considerable risk. I have seen fit 20 year olds with watersports experience taken off the beach on stretchers while learning to kitesurf after losing comtrol of their kites. Without sounding patronising, Maybe what is behind your desire to kitesurf is that you just want to be out on the water enjoying the energy of the sea and there are other ways of doing that - supping or sailing might be a great challenge for you (which is probably what i will be doing in 20 years time :D )

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90cm, 110cm
Gong Pro M, 90 cm mast
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:51 pm

Bille wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:59 pm
TomW wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:45 pm
Dont show that video of Dimitri to your doctor. :)

If you were asking me to teach you, i would ask:
Can you swim 200m in open ocean ?
Can you dive down 2m and swim a bit?
Can you do 50 sit-ups, and 20 push-ups in a row?
Can you jump from a 1m high object onto hard ground onto your feet?
If not, I wouldn't recommend it.

I started at 40, 60 yrs now and kite 100-150 sessions year round. All foiling now.
I can't do that ; all in one hour . :(

Bille
Yes, but you know how to kite already.
And I didn't mean in one hour, not even same day.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:09 pm

Then I Could do that ; if i had a day to complete it !! :D

Bille

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:55 pm

It would take me more than 1 day and more than 1 beer!

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Can you stay afloat for 45 minutes without any floation? (can use clothing for flotation)
Can you stay afloat without floatation indefinitely, not using your arms or legs?
Can you swim with your hands tied behind your back, dive 12 feet down and pick up a ring in your mouth, swim length of olympic sized pool, and swim width of pool under water?
Can you do the same as above with your legs tied, crossed (cannot use them for porpoise kick)?
Can you do the same as above with both your hands and legs tied (can use for porpoise kick)?
Can you swim two lengths of olympic size pool under water (cannot dive in at start)?

This was a "swimming" course I took in college. It was actually a drown-proofing course. When I signed up for it, I thought I would learn all the swimming strokes (boy was I fooled). The last question above was the "final exam". I went to college with George P. Burdell. If you know of him, you know where I went to college. :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”