Kite foiling is dying sooo fast

Forum for kitesurfers
flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 89
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w590, w679, w633, w790. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite foiling is dying sooo fast

Postby flaps1111 » Fri May 27, 2022 12:26 pm

Toby wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:14 am
For people with problems in arms or shoulders winging never will be an option…while kite foiling is.
And don't forget your knees.

It's funny but who has an advantage in this sport is short and skinny people, I think it is the sport where more short people practice it, especially if you do not live in a spot with strong wind.
Kitefoiling like the colonel Colt made men equal regardless of their weight.
These users thanked the author flaps1111 for the post:
Toby (Fri May 27, 2022 1:36 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Fri May 27, 2022 10:24 pm

I know several really good kiters who mostly only wing foil now.

Maybe it is true that kite foiling will die in the same way that windsurfing did.

Who cares?

I say, the more options, the better.

There is no doubt that hydrofoils have opened up many new avenues, in a wide variety of water sports.

Hell yeah... bring it on!

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Fri May 27, 2022 10:45 pm

I've seen a few people using advanced gear to wingfoil, in maybe 14 knots plus, and they could go pretty fast, and jump.

I agree, the beginner gear looks lame and slow, even though I understand how it could still be fun.

Everyone I have spoken who switched to mostly wing foiling told me that getting "good" equipment was the key to their progression.

When the "good" used gear becomes available, and if I have the space to store and transport more "stuff," I plan to give it a serious try...

andylc wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:21 pm
Other than pros I have still yet to see a wingfoiler looking like they’re having much fun. Weirdly they were out in force at Exmouth last week when there was hardly any wind and they were largely just floating. Then the wind got up and it started being fun, but the wingfoilers all buggered off at this point!

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Fri May 27, 2022 11:06 pm

It happens that winging was invented after kitesurfing. However, if winging had been invented first, and then kitesurfing and kitefoiling came along afterwards then we wouldnt be having this conversation.... in fact we would be talking about wingfoiling dying soo fast!
These users thanked the author dave1986 for the post (total 3):
thewindego (Sat May 28, 2022 12:45 am) • Flyboy (Sat May 28, 2022 4:20 am) • Qiter (Sat May 28, 2022 7:43 am)
Rating: 20%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat May 28, 2022 12:25 am

dave1986 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:06 pm
It happens that winging was invented after kitesurfing. However, if winging had been invented first, and then kitesurfing and kitefoiling came along afterwards then we wouldnt be having this conversation.... in fact we would be talking about wingfoiling dying soo fast!
so true!

Funny one :rollgrin:

Oldman_Dave
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge & Zephyr kites
Nobile Board

Postby Oldman_Dave » Sat May 28, 2022 1:07 am

RadDrDuke wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:55 pm
Now that I've been winging for 6 months I can confidently say that kite foiling is going to be dead. In winds I used to kitefoil in (8-13knots) now I wingfoil every time, it's just a better tool to use with a foil. I used to be able to go in significantly lighter wind with kitefoil but now that I am advanced winger that low-end is only about 2 knots better with kitefoil.

Wingfoil Comparison To Kitefoil
Pros:
-Wind dying is no longer catastrophic (with kitefoil it requires a swim in with kite and usually tiny board), with the wing you just come off foil and wait for another gust or sit down and sail in.
-Much better for riding waves on wingfoil, can flag out and do whatever you want on the wave.
-Easier to go downwind on wingfoil, kitefoiling this is very difficult as you can outrun the kite.
-Newer/trendy, or newer and lame but depends on how you look at things in life.

Cons:
-Wingfoil requires >10knots more wind than kitefoil for beginner wingers and ~2knots more for advanced wingers.
-New sport requires learning and another $4000 in gear
You missed the absolutely huge Cons (in my personal order):
Kitefoil almost always outperforms wing: faster, smoother & more power on tap = continuously on the foil rather than periods on and off and slogging along double pumping.
Massive battleship of a board, heavy and can't turn
Massive foil under the board, can't turn
2 leashes to wrangle when you stack
Looking at a sail unless you're totally flagged out, can't see downwind
2 trips to carry your gear from car to beach & disassembly every time

Of your Pros: only No. 2 is relevant to most people. Downwind is fine kite foiling if you have any experience. Wind dying happens rarely, and foil kites will stay in the sky in all but zero.

However there's no disputing that for pure wave riding a wing does it better. There's simply no way to flag and hold a kite like you can with a wing.
Likewise there's simply no way to send a wing in a 30m loop to gather enough power spike to pull a small board out of the water.

In this video there is a guy using comparable gear to kite foiling, and I would totally consider winging if it was achievable.. however the secret is that it' s blowing 35-40kts and they're *still* needing a kite to tow them up to speed.

These users thanked the author Oldman_Dave for the post (total 2):
downunder (Sat May 28, 2022 2:30 am) • Kamikuza (Sat May 28, 2022 12:08 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat May 28, 2022 4:39 am

It's foiling that's new & exciting ... and winging is by far the easiest entree to foiling. For experienced kite foilers it represents a new challenge, so is also appealing to them. My own feeling is that kite foiling relatively unpowered with small single skin kites gives you an amazing opportunity to ride swell & waves juts using the power of the kite in small doses to connect turns. I don't see winging offering a superior experience to that, especially in light to moderate winds.

I just returned from a trip to Nova Scotia which has hundreds of miles of rocky shoreline. There were many places that would have been inaccessible with a kite, but perfectly possible with a wing. I think that's the big and enduring advantage of winging.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat May 28, 2022 12:41 pm

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:07 am
You missed the absolutely huge Cons (in my personal order):
Kitefoil almost always outperforms wing: faster, smoother & more power on tap = continuously on the foil rather than periods on and off and slogging along double pumping.
Massive battleship of a board, heavy and can't turn
Massive foil under the board, can't turn
2 leashes to wrangle when you stack
Looking at a sail unless you're totally flagged out, can't see downwind
2 trips to carry your gear from car to beach & disassembly every time

Of your Pros: only No. 2 is relevant to most people. Downwind is fine kite foiling if you have any experience. Wind dying happens rarely, and foil kites will stay in the sky in all but zero.

However there's no disputing that for pure wave riding a wing does it better. There's simply no way to flag and hold a kite like you can with a wing.
Likewise there's simply no way to send a wing in a 30m loop to gather enough power spike to pull a small board out of the water.
[..]
The massive board/foil is absolutely the deal breaker for me. Just ... why? What a step backwards.

The leashes are comedy gold -- people getting tangled up in them, tangling around the foil, breaking and the wing going tumbleweeding across the lake... Don't ever change!

Nobody here does pure wave riding; in fact, the best they manage is getting on a wave and riding in a straight line. I can do that, I know cos I follow them around doing it :D

They do have the low wind advantage on me, but my board is 11L and I refuse to use a kite bigger than 10m. And I don't have to pump.

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sat May 28, 2022 4:10 pm

I recently went out with my 5m Peak5 when there was a big swell with a nasty shorebreak. It took 5-10 minutes to drag myself to deep enough water to get foiling in a relatively light cross onshore wind. It was a pain but the kite will ultimately pull you through. Had a good session with some nice swell rides.

When I came in some wingfoilers set up and went out or tried to. I watched for about 30 painful minutes as the four of them battled to get through the shorebreak with their large boards and wings. The lightest one went down the beach where he found a break in the waves and was able to get out and foil reasonably well on and off as the wind wasn't that strong. The other three battled the shorebreak, getting tangled in leashes, amazingly didn't slash their wings with their foils until two gave up exhausted. The final wingdinger finally managed to break through a lull the shorebreak and get out into clear water only to find he didn't have enough wind to get on the foil :( :(

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 28, 2022 6:18 pm

It is always amazing to read stories like this :rollgrin:

So many looking at wingfoil and deducting it "can not be fun" :roll:

Just like when we started kitefoiling - almost everyone said: Looks sloppy and can not be fun.

And look now, around here foil (all types) are the majority of kite/wind/wing surfers - and in other countries I believe it is big too.

Reminds me of a forum poster here, he wrote he had tried kitefoil, but did not find it fun, so he rides a big waveboard with a 17 m2 kite instead - each to their own, but I do not need to say more, right?

Somewhat the same here, we try to "think" how it is, without having any, or sufficient experience to know :naughty:

Some ride both TT and Surfboards, with kites - these two disciplines are even further apart than kitefoil and wingfoil in my experience :D

Just an observation noone can use for anything, sorry, I know - but I am smiling when I read some of the postings here :D

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”