Gear: North/Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Mystic Brand wetsuit review

Postby Javig84 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:36 pm

mattaiken MYS NKB wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:15 pm
gator1 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:49 am
Anyone have any experience with Mystic "Brand" wetsuit (not Star or Marshall line)? How does this compare to surf brands?

Are the sizes pretty much the same as the other brands? I dont have the opportunity to try them.
Hi Gator. The Brand series suits from Mystic are the entry level (lowest) price point.
From bottom to top there is:
Brand
Star
Marshall
Majestic
Voltt

As you go from lower to higher you'll go from what's called Flatlock seam construction on the Brands, to various higher levels of waterproofed seams. As you go higher you'll typically get more areas of the suits with lining, which will make them warmer. You'll also get higher end neoprene so a more stretchy suit.

Every brand has a slightly different fit, and there can be some difference of fit between different models within a brand. There's a variety of reasons for this, but hopefully your retailer can guide you through and find the right fit for you.

Within Mystic, the brand suits will typically fit a little bit bigger than the top end Majestic and Voltt suits. This is quite common for brands to have a more "sporty" fit in the higher end suits and a more "relaxed" fit in the lower end suits.

I hope this helps.
This is very useful info thanks. Any thoughts why Mystic is not making the Marshal 4/3 long arm short leg in 22/23 season, I only see the BRAND in this "short leg" cut.

Also can someone explain how front and back zip wetsuits perform/feel different. A friend mentioned back zip wetsuits tend to be less flexible around the shoulders.

Thanks ...& stay wet!

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri May 20, 2022 9:54 pm

Yeah. That is the “common view”. I don’t really know why, but I just prefer front for kiting. Got one front and one back. Got no issue with the back and not sure if I would notice if I didn’t know.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4: 4/5/8/11m
Dwarfcraft 4'6 Gong X-over foil

Postby ieism » Sat May 21, 2022 10:59 am

I've used the Voltt for about a year now, quality is comparable to other top of the line brands. I have no issues with it.

Stuff i like: It's warm, and I' a guy who is always cold. Not a lot of water gets into this suit, a lot less than my o'neill suits that are zipperless. Sometimes I ride it with the hood off and the zipper open and water drains from the legs trough little holes. I wissh every suit had this option.

Stuff I don't like: I almost never wear the hood, i wish I had bought the version without. it's kind of hard to get on and off, but that's because it's thick and the arms ankles and neck are tighter than most suits. It's also why no water comes in so its intentional I guess. I wish the arms were partly made of different material, they are made of the more cloth like stuff on the outside and when windy this cools off more than the rubber coated outer liek the chest and hood. The material is thick enough, just not the right material for a winter suit IMO.

It's a well designed peice of kit, would buy from Mystic again.

Return to “Kitesurfing”