joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown
Brand Affiliation: None

Does this wing make my butt look fat?

Postby joekitetime » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:40 pm

Ok, so this is an odd question (the real question) and hoping someone may have some insight. This is not a beginner question.

Essentially winging for me has progressed to me being able to fly any size wing I want when there is wind. I can fly my fone swing 2.8 or 6m or any size in between and make it work. So this weekend I got lazy because I had my 5m on the rack drying and went out for a session when I probably should have been flying my 3.5m because it was pretty windy. But I felt lazy, tired, and figured I'd just use the extra power from the wing rather than have to work it (pump the wing a lot and pump the board a lot which is what I mean by work it). But then I discovered something.

I like to ride big foils cuz I love to ride swell and bumps, so I was on the fone 1480. On most days I can pump this foil on flat water with no wind for somewhere between 30 seconds to 1-1/2 minutes before I get too tired and reach for the wing again (I give that info to illustrate the lift from the foil I use). So what I discovered was, when the wing I was using was very powered, but the foil I was on really didn't want to go fast, the foil would hit its top end speed, and feel very draggy, and even with the wing sheeted in nice and aero, that foil would just not let go and scream with speed.

So I deducted that for any given foil, once you hit maximum realistic speed for any given foil, if the wing you are using continues to provide additional lift, the foil will just not go any faster, and actually drag and slow down the lift the the wing.

Which leads me to think that once you become a competent winger, you are always better off slightly underpowered on your wing choice, and being overpowered has no benefit unless possibly you are into skying.

Does anyone relate to this?

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Re: Does this wing make my butt look fat?

Postby Trent hink » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:36 pm

I wonder if switching to a smaller foil would also be an option.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
joekitetime (Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:49 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:00 pm

I also use F-One foils and own the Phantom 1480, 1280 and Mirage 1000. As with all foils ,bigger wings take off earlier than smaller ones but reach their top speed very fast. Drag increases exponentielly with speed so the fasrter you go much more energy is required to go slightly faster.

I choose my wing size depending on the size of the waves, the bigger the waves the smaller faster foil I use, and the size of the Wing depending on wind strength . If it is flat and very windy, I use small foil and biggish wing .
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:
joekitetime (Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:27 pm)

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels
Wings: Cloud W1 3,4,5,6m, Duotone 7m
Boards: Naish Monarch, Naish Hover 155/140/110/130
Foils: AXIS 1150/1020/1010/820 Foil

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:28 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:40 pm
So I deducted that for any given foil, once you hit maximum realistic speed for any given foil, if the wing you are using continues to provide additional lift, the foil will just not go any faster, and actually drag and slow down the lift the the wing.

Which leads me to think that once you become a competent winger, you are always better off slightly underpowered on your wing choice, and being overpowered has no benefit unless possibly you are into skying.

Totally agree ....

The upside is way too much wing is still manageable and generally not life threatening like a kite.
These users thanked the author bigtone667 for the post:
joekitetime (Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:52 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:28 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Snip....

Hmmm, not really.

If using too big a wing, you can still edge the wing more vertical and go faster - there is no top speed of any foilwing, the more power/pull the faster you can go, when you can control it.

But there is a realistic top speed where it becomes difficult to control, indeed.

I find being a tad overpowered instead of a tad underpowered (if that is below and above your sweetspot) makes jibes a lot easier - no risk of losing the foil on the new tack in a lull, like you could if you were slightly underpowered.

Starting is a lot faster too, getting up on the board and into foiling in a jiffy, as opposed to slightly underpowered where you have to pump and maybe wait for the right swell to help you up.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
joekitetime (Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:52 pm)

Thatspeck
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Style: Take the most circuitous route
Gear: Wipika marine wing

Postby Thatspeck » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:47 pm

joekitetime wrote:

Yes.

Having only a 3.6 and 5.3 I would always prefer to use the 3.6. I'm also only really interested in riding waves downwind hanging onto the LE handle and 90+ % of my winging has been downwinders of 8 miles or more. The overlap in the wind range of these two wings is huge.

The foil is what's really doing all the work, in this case an Axis 1010. Any little puff gets the thing going and it's not coming down again until I screw up... It does however top out at 19-20 mph but that's more than fast enough for my style of riding.

No amount of sail area is going to push it any faster, even with my 90Kg and 5.3 broad reaching in 30+

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:21 pm

Maybe not, but if 12 to 14 knots, a much bigger wing than your 3.6 will definitely make you go faster, and a lot higher upwind/downwind.

8) Peter

Return to “Wingsurfing”