single line stretch problems

Forum for kitesurfers
elmarco
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

single line stretch problems

Postby elmarco » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:18 pm

I've been getting these weird issues lately with 1 single front line stretching. (non flag line up to 4", all other lines same length)
I ride a decent amount, and know that lines stretch (or shrink!!! thats a different conversation...)
I'm pretty in tune with my gear and I know right away when the lines stretch, and I tune them as needed.
Weird thing lately though is I've been getting ONE single front line stretch on me
The crazy thing is that it's not a gradual stretch, like it changes from session to session.
I haven't really been able to put my finger on exactly what the cause is, but my guess is that it comes from:
-excessive looping the kite in one direction
-I leave my lines on my kites and I'll periodically have to take a line off and manually untwist it.

Sometimes the one line is stretched so bad I can barely fly the kite, but then if I get the lines wet, it figures itself out.

The other day I was out with a GoPro on my lines and the wind shut right off on me, couldn't keep the kite up especially with the extra weight of the GoPro, so I pulled the lines in, took the GoPro off, relaunched the kite and I couldn't fly the kite at all (1 line stretch). From the water, I pulled up to my Y, tied a new knot about 4 inches up one of the lines to shorten it, and It tuned it 'ok' enough for me to get back in.
Prior to this session I untwisted my flag line, but the whole session was fine until I dropped the kite to take the GoPro off.

I'm pretty certain it has something to do with my bad looping habits and also leaving the lines on the kite, but I'm curious if anyone else has experience with this.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: single line stretch problems

Postby Matteo V » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:37 pm

Regardless of the cause, I think you just need to change those front lines out. I think it's the only way to be sure and safe.

Not all pre-made line sets are well pre stretched. If you make your own line sets, though you will put maybe two to four hours into a single line set, you can do an extremely rigorous stretch of those lines. On my homemade line sets where I spend lots of time tensioning, and releasing, and repeating that process, I have had no tune issues. And this is with Jerry Brown Spectra fishing line 800 lb test. So I would guess the SK number with my lines would be somewhere down around 70 to 75. My current theory is that stretching properly can do more than just buying line with a high SK number.

AndersP
Medium Poster
Gear: Foil

Postby AndersP » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:25 pm

Just my 2cents.

Bad quality or damaged core in the line that stretches.
I any case you should change that line or both front lines.
If you strech the line that often, there is something wrong with it.

If you are looping the kite often and hard I would go for a sk 99 or similar with durable thickness to get more performance and safety.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:57 pm

Obviously it would be prudent to change your front lines etc, but what is stopping you swapping the lines between prt and stbd to see if it just the line or the way you are looping.

elmarco
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby elmarco » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:58 pm

I’ll be getting a replacement bar/lines very shortly, but I’m just trying to wrap my head around the issue.
These lines were new this year, however, they have 100+ hours on em Haha(Dedicated bar/lines for foil, so low stress)
I’ll try experimenting some more and keeping tabs what’s going on so I can be more preventative in the future.

Return to “Kitesurfing”