Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Next Slingshot UFO/Ghost Kite Generation

Forum for kitesurfers
Nak
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Re: Next Slingshot UFO/Ghost Kite Generation

Postby Nak » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:05 am

purdyd wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:30 pm
I’d be interested in how the 3m v2 flies as the v1 is already plenty fast.
I flew my 3m V2 today. I can't compare it to the V1, or any other 3m for that matter. First time on a 3m. That said, I was surprised by how pleasant it was to fly, and how well it worked, Even though I was using a 20" x 23m bar and lines, the kite was not twitchy at all. Very fast obviously, but easy to control. I flew it mostly one handed, which was just easy. The main issue I had was getting used to the quick pulses of power when working the kite. I love the UFO for it's refined and even delivery of power, the speed of the 3m really jerked me up and out of the water. Not bad at all in reality, I just had to get used to it. Once I was up it felt more "UFOish". I was riding it at Stevenson from 2:00 to 3:10 or so, if you want to look at the wind graph. From 1:00 to 1:55 or so I was on a 5m and uncomfortably lit. Workable, but wishing for a 4m. I finally decided to come in and try the 3m, which pleasantly surprised me. I really was hesitant looking at how small it was. After that session though, I'll be riding it a lot more.
Untitled.png

Turbaani
Medium Poster
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Turbaani » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:56 pm

I have never tried UFO or any other strutless kites. Sometimes I like to blast full speed and sometimes surf waves. Im sure ufo is good in waves, but is it also fast if you wanna just go for it? Doesn't have to be good angles, just speed :lol:

Turbaani
Medium Poster

Postby Turbaani » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:37 pm

I guess low ar no strut kite isnt going to be the best for speed, but its still very interesting kite.

Quiver question, what do you think is best size coupled up with 11m? First 2 kite quiver, later maybe more.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:16 am

Turbaani wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:56 pm
I have never tried UFO or any other strutless kites. Sometimes I like to blast full speed and sometimes surf waves. Im sure ufo is good in waves, but is it also fast if you wanna just go for it? Doesn't have to be good angles, just speed :lol:
I don’t own a UFO but a quiver of Clouds. I read you post so gave it a try today on the 8 mtr cloud on the Naish 810 foil, 110 pocket board. Without trying I easily hit 23 knots, so I’m guessing 25 knots would be possible. Wind was 15-18 knots.
These users thanked the author airsail for the post:
Turbaani (Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:56 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Turbaani
Medium Poster

Postby Turbaani » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:22 pm

airsail wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:16 am
Turbaani wrote:
I don’t own a UFO but a quiver of Clouds. I read you post so gave it a try today on the 8 mtr cloud on the Naish 810 foil, 110 pocket board. Without trying I easily hit 23 knots, so I’m guessing 25 knots would be possible. Wind was 15-18 knots.
Thank you for the test, 25kts is already alot with 8m kite. But you probably dont want to ride these kites very overpowered like you can a 5 strutter.

But I want to try ufo for wave riding, it looks awesome. My heavier 5 strut kite isn't very nimble in waves, and when the wind is below 12kts, wave riding is basically impossible.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:54 pm

Turbaani wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:22 pm
airsail wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:16 am
Turbaani wrote:
Thank you for the test, 25kts is already alot with 8m kite. But you probably dont want to ride these kites very overpowered like you can a 5 strutter.

But I want to try ufo for wave riding, it looks awesome. My heavier 5 strut kite isn't very nimble in waves, and when the wind is below 12kts, wave riding is basically impossible.
The no struts are very versatile, but, pretty crap for jumping and upwind angles aren’t the best.
They are also not the best for learning new transitions due to the lack of lift through tacks.
You do seem to use a smaller kite than anyone else due to them sitting deep in the window, making them perfect for wave/swell riding as they are light and drift really well.
The Peak is the king of drifting, but the lack of 100% relaunch is a problem. No struts are one of the easiest to relaunch of any kite up to 7mtr, after that the lack of wind on the water surface can make it harder and patience is your friend.

Nak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)

Postby Nak » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:29 am

airsail wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:54 pm
No struts are one of the easiest to relaunch of any kite up to 7mtr, after that the lack of wind on the water surface can make it harder and patience is your friend.
I really, really need to find my GoPro footage from Cancun water relaunching my 11m UFO. I'll get it up soon, I promise. Ridiculously light wind and a very easy and quick relaunch. Just saying.

Turbaani
Medium Poster

Postby Turbaani » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:55 am

I was first thinking of getting 11m as first size, but after some reading I get the impression that ufo has quite alot of pull. Local conditions are mostly maybe ~10-12kts, some days up to 20-25kts and some very light 6-8kts.
What size do u guys prefer in that 10-12 kts range? I don't like to ride underpowered. Medium size foil, sabfoil w800, 78kg

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:36 pm

The ufo v2 is a bit less grunty and faster flying versus v1. I’ve flown some kites with struts that felt as grunty.

No it won’t scream up wind like a foil kite.

It is plenty fast on a reach.

It is the easiest kite to relaunch I’ve ever used.

1 it is very light
2 it has a continuous curve on the leading edge so it rolls onto its side very easily
3 the leading edge diameter is a tad larger then some & the leading edge front does not rest on the ground. So it maintains shape and isn’t as sticky on the water

The only time a strutted kite has an advantage is if the kite is leading edge down and the canopy is flat on the water. Then you need to put a wingtip into the wind so air can get under the canopy.

Once that happens it will be easier to relaunch then a strutted kite.

I know the clouds tended to pretzel in swell or waves but the ufo has a larger leading edge so I haven’t seen that.

I wouldn’t go out in 6-8 knots.

I would think maybe 8m in 10-12 knots for you but best to ask nak.

Nak
Medium Poster

Postby Nak » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:33 am

purdyd wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:36 pm
I would think maybe 8m in 10-12 knots for you but best to ask nak.
IMHO, for 10 -12 shouldn't change or might get stronger = 8m. For 10 - 12 with a decent risk of getting lighter = 11m.

6 - 8 knots it depends on the spot. If it's going to reliably blow 6 - 8 knots all day, or at least give fair warning of dying, then I wouldn't hesitate to go out on an 11m. OTH, 6 - 8 knots and could die at any time, it's going to depend how easy the swim will be and how long it's been since I've ridden.
These users thanked the author Nak for the post:
Turbaani (Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:25 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Return to “Kitesurfing”