Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lieuwe Shotgun Review

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
CALencioni
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Sherman Island, Kite Beach Maui, Alameda, Coyote, 3rd
Gear: North Neos, Blade Fat Lady, Nobile XTR
Brand Affiliation: None

Lieuwe Shotgun Review

Postby CALencioni » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:45 am

Alright, long overdue.

Disclosure - I just kite for fun, I have no sponsors, I pay full price lol

195lbs, Dice Kites, Working On Boosted Kiteloops, Backroll Transition Kiteloops

Boards I Own - Lieuwe Shotgun 138x41, 2019 Axis Vanguard 138
I've also ridden a 139 Imperator 6 through an entire season.

Lieuwe, hands down, is the best mix of boards I've ridden. It is the Superior board without question.
WHY?

If I were to describe where the Shotgun is superior in a couple sentences, I'd say the board is SUPER fun and playful, has grip when you ask it to have grip, has a good pop, and it rides like butter in the Bay Area chop likely due to its outline and significant rocker vs the Vanguard and Imperator. It's also lighter than both of those boards. Landings are easier and more forgiving due to its flex and rocker profile! It's confidence inspiring in that sense. The Shotgun behaves the way I want it to, when I want it to. It is also a fast board once it's powered up. Fast because it can hold down more power easier and its easier to get through chop at speed(rides like butter).

More detail/comparison-
Vs the Vanguard - The Vanguard, due to its entire length channelling, has a bit too much grip in some situations and is difficult to get it to be playful and loose compared to the shotgun. The Shotgun, has great grip when you bury the edge and ask it to grip. When you let off on the grip, the board becomes loose and really playfull/manageable. Its also extremely fun in general, I think, due to its shape and outline. The Vanguard also sprays A LOT(why don't people talk about this on the vanguard?) compared to both the Shotgun and the Imperator and can be a nuisance in that respect. The Vanguard, even being wood, doesn't have enough flex or rocker IMO and rides pretty stiff in chop. Due to its extremely locked in grip and lack of rocker, it generally rides rough in chop but does ride really fast as long as you're legs and knees are up for the challenge. The Shotgun is way more forgiving on bad landings to the point that the vanguard hurts on flat, hard, or off balance/bad angle landings. However, because the Vanguard has less rocker and is stiffer, its more efficient in light winds. The shotgun definitely requires more wind, but in that sense allows to hold more power for bigger boosts. I wish the vanguard would have been more forgiving.

Vs the Imperator - The imperator has great grip when you bury the fin, however, I find that board a bit too loose when you're on the mid rail/on top of the board(maybe because of the rounded rail and lack of any channeling?) The imperator has similar spray characteristics(maybe slightly more spray?). The shotgun is the superior ride in chop, has more rocker, pops easier. Both boards are great with landings, but bad landings are better on the shotgun, I think, because of the flex profile and its not as loose.Sometimes I'd skip out or slide out on the Imperator on a bad landing when I didn't want to or thought I could muscle out of it. On the shotgun, I can muscle out of a bad landing and won’t likely slip/skid out as long as I don't want to. The imperator is more efficient as well, due to less rocker and a wider profile.

Where the Shotgun is not superior to either board is the efficiency aspect. It does require more wind due to its smaller size and increased rocker. It is, however, single concave to help with this. Again, this becomes a blessing when it’s really pumping out as the shotgun can hold more power and can also ride smoother at speed

Some side notes -

Design - I got a custom design on the Shotgun which makes it, of course in my opinion, the most bad ass looking board. If you dig the design, dude- obviously, you're not a golfer :thumb:

Customer Service - Let me tell you what, working with the Lieuwe guys- Roel and Dirk, what awesome individuals. These people give a shit and really care. They went out of there way to help me with a shipping issue and provided above and beyond service. I can't thank them enough for their help.

Pads - I love the Axis pads
Attachments
IMG_1877 2.jpg
IMG_1876.jpg
These users thanked the author CALencioni for the post (total 5):
zlatko23 (Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:36 am) • DVPgel (Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:47 am) • Leon van Bergen (Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:19 am) • Kees (Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:15 am) • Archer77 (Thu May 13, 2021 10:30 pm)
Rating: 15.15%

Kerplow
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 64 Kg
Local Beach: EU
Style: Allrounder
Gear: North Reach 13, 11
North Orbit 10, 8, 6
North Focus 136+boots
North Atmos 133
Duotone Team 134
Duotone Whip 5'2

Re: Lieuwe Shotgun Review

Postby Kerplow » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:56 am

Thanks for your review!

Never tried it before and would be great to demo it. I have owned almost whole range of Duotone boards - Select, Jaime, TS. Have tested more brands, but I never found the one.
Select is a fun board, but it lacks pop. Jaime and TS are really fun to jump (unhook) and overall playful - but now I'm paying to a physiotherapist to fix my knees.

Your review sounds exactly what i'm looking for. Have you ever tried Duotone range? If yes, can you compare to any of them?

As for Imperator. My friend is a Big Air junkie and she always praises that board. I never doubt her, as she is Nr1 in Woo Big Air rankings worldwide.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:49 am

Kerplow wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:56 am
Thanks for your review!

Never tried it before and would be great to demo it. I have owned almost whole range of Duotone boards - Select, Jaime, TS. Have tested more brands, but I never found the one.
Select is a fun board, but it lacks pop. Jaime and TS are really fun to jump (unhook) and overall playful - but now I'm paying to a physiotherapist to fix my knees.

Your review sounds exactly what i'm looking for. Have you ever tried Duotone range? If yes, can you compare to any of them?

As for Imperator. My friend is a Big Air junkie and she always praises that board. I never doubt her, as she is Nr1 in Woo Big Air rankings worldwide.
In my view the shotgun can be compared to Jaime but is more forgiving on the knees. Build quality is amazing...you cant go wrong! Also read the other topics on this board on KF you see it is forgiving to the knees :thumb:
These users thanked the author Kitemenn for the post:
Kerplow (Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:08 am)
Rating: 3.03%

DVPgel
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 80kg
Style: Just for fun. Try to jump high.
Gear: Naish Pivot (2020) 7,9,12
Lieuwe Shotgun (136*40,5) with Slingshot Dually
Ion Radar

Postby DVPgel » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:48 am

Thank you very much for your report.
I also bought the shotgun recently. (136x40,5)
But since I am not that experienced, I did not dare to write a review. Nevertheless then a short review from the point of view of a not so experienced kiter.
So far I have driven a Naish Hero, a F.One Trax, a Spleene RIP39 and every now and then a Naish Monarch. For the binding I have added a Dually from 2020. (Doesn't look that nice, because the colors don't fit)
Just touching the board makes me feel like I'm holding something higher in my hands. It does not feel like plastic or varnish. It is difficult for me to describe. I also like the look (I have a standard version) - simple and beautiful. (If I had more money I would probably have had a custom-made one made). But when screwing the fins on I doubted for a short time. The screws were extremely difficult to screw in. On the other hand they hold better. The fins did not finish the plan with the board. But the boards are all handmade and probably that is normal. I don't find this annoying and if you screw them in a little bit stronger the gaps are very small.
The first time on the water I was immediately in love with the board. It went well through choppy and was just fun to ride. Unfortunately the wind was quite weak and I lost a lot of height in the end. But the water was very cold and my legs started to shiver. So I think it was not the board but me. So I screwed on the pads differently. (So it would be really great to have a good manual how to adjust the pads in the best possible way). Since then I never had problems with the altitude again.
I also feel jumping higher with the board than before. (I have no WOO or PIQ). This is what my friends at the spot tell me. I can't get that high yet. I think I was at an average of 3m before and now I am at an average of 5m (felt 7m ;-) ) The landings are also more knee friendly for me. I also stand them much more often.
Unfortunately, I have also ridden the board over a shell bank in shallower water. It survived that surprisingly well. There was only a slight scratch on the surface. On the Naish Hero I scratched the bottom completely on the first day.
Because of the riding characteristics, the board tempted me to play with it on the water. I can edge it very well and change direction quite easily.
All in all, it is the board that I enjoy the most so far. I would buy the board again anytime, but I don't think that will be necessary as it will certainly last for a long time. I always put the board in my living room and every time I look at it I am looking forward to the next kiting session.
Oh one more hint. A friend of mine who rides the Naish Monach said that it is too hard for him. But then I had the bindings screwed on differently. (I don't feel that way in comparison)

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:20 am

I can agree with CALencioni on all points, good review!

CALencioni
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Sherman Island, Kite Beach Maui, Alameda, Coyote, 3rd
Gear: North Neos, Blade Fat Lady, Nobile XTR

Postby CALencioni » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:44 pm

Kerplow wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:56 am
Thanks for your review!

Short answer, no. I've never ridden duotone boards(I ride dice kites though). I would want to ride a Jaime, but I've heard it rides on the rougher side so I've never gravitated towards it.

Longer Answer -

I'm not sure I did a good job mentioning this- my knees (specifically my left-missing PCL ligament from Moto crash) are less than great lol. After returning the Imperator to a buddy after a season(he was out of kiting for the year) I bought the Vanguard due to rave reviews on this forum. The Vangaurd rides far too stiff, far too flat rocker and it hurt my knees. I am generally not impressed with the board. Don't get me wrong, the Imperator is great- its the second best board I've ridden but the Shotgun does better the things that frustrated me with the imperator.

Saying this- the Shotgun rides easier on the Knees than the Imperator, I think because of outline and rocker. BUT, it also has a better pop, better behavior when on top of the board/middle of the board, holds down power way better and is FUN. I would say if you're looking for something that rides great, has pop, is super inspiring on landings the Shotgun is your ride. There will always be a board that has the most of a certain thing. For what I want, its an intermediate to advanced board due to the rocker line and shape, rides like butter, and is fun as hell to go kiting on. Its really good at ripping around doing some hooked and unhooked freestyle, while also being super fun and playful on swells and generally goofin off on while boosting etc. And dude, custom graphics was super fun to work with on their design guy, Dirk.

The bummer part is there isn't a strong network of dealers to demo - these boards are hand made in Holland in a small shop by some folks that just love the sport.

Kerplow
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 64 Kg
Local Beach: EU
Style: Allrounder
Gear: North Reach 13, 11
North Orbit 10, 8, 6
North Focus 136+boots
North Atmos 133
Duotone Team 134
Duotone Whip 5'2

Postby Kerplow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:33 pm

Thank you, for your reply.

Now I'm really confused, as it seems that it would be a board that would suit me, but I cannot test it. Nobody has one here in east EU.
These users thanked the author Kerplow for the post:
Madraoulas (Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:52 am)

riccosi
Rare Poster
Gear: none yet
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby riccosi » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:49 am

Vs the Imperator - The imperator has great grip when you bury the fin, however, I find that board a bit too loose when you're on the mid rail/on top of the board(maybe because of the rounded rail and lack of any channeling?) The imperator has similar spray characteristics(maybe slightly more spray?). The shotgun is the superior ride in chop, has more rocker, pops easier. Both boards are great with landings, but bad landings are better on the shotgun, I think, because of the flex profile and its not as loose.Sometimes I'd skip out or slide out on the Imperator on a bad landing when I didn't want to or thought I could muscle out of it. On the shotgun, I can muscle out of a bad landing and won’t likely slip/skid out as long as I don't want to. The imperator is more efficient as well, due to less rocker and a wider profile.
Thanks for the review, my friend. Appreciate it. Especially the comparison with the Imperator is what I was looking for!

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Thu May 13, 2021 10:36 pm

CALencioni wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:45 am
Alright, long overdue.

Disclosure - I just kite for fun, I have no sponsors, I pay full price lol

195lbs, Dice Kites, Working On Boosted Kiteloops, Backroll Transition Kiteloops

Boards I Own - Lieuwe Shotgun 138x41, 2019 Axis Vanguard 138
I've also ridden a 139 Imperator 6 through an entire season.

Lieuwe, hands down, is the best mix of boards I've ridden. It is the Superior board without question.
WHY?

If I were to describe where the Shotgun is superior in a couple sentences, I'd say the board is SUPER fun and playful, has grip when you ask it to have grip, has a good pop, and it rides like butter in the Bay Area chop likely due to its outline and significant rocker vs the Vanguard and Imperator. It's also lighter than both of those boards. Landings are easier and more forgiving due to its flex and rocker profile! It's confidence inspiring in that sense. The Shotgun behaves the way I want it to, when I want it to. It is also a fast board once it's powered up. Fast because it can hold down more power easier and its easier to get through chop at speed(rides like butter).

More detail/comparison-
Vs the Vanguard - The Vanguard, due to its entire length channelling, has a bit too much grip in some situations and is difficult to get it to be playful and loose compared to the shotgun. The Shotgun, has great grip when you bury the edge and ask it to grip. When you let off on the grip, the board becomes loose and really playfull/manageable. Its also extremely fun in general, I think, due to its shape and outline. The Vanguard also sprays A LOT(why don't people talk about this on the vanguard?) compared to both the Shotgun and the Imperator and can be a nuisance in that respect. The Vanguard, even being wood, doesn't have enough flex or rocker IMO and rides pretty stiff in chop. Due to its extremely locked in grip and lack of rocker, it generally rides rough in chop but does ride really fast as long as you're legs and knees are up for the challenge. The Shotgun is way more forgiving on bad landings to the point that the vanguard hurts on flat, hard, or off balance/bad angle landings. However, because the Vanguard has less rocker and is stiffer, its more efficient in light winds. The shotgun definitely requires more wind, but in that sense allows to hold more power for bigger boosts. I wish the vanguard would have been more forgiving.

Where the Shotgun is not superior to either board is the efficiency aspect. It does require more wind due to its smaller size and increased rocker. It is, however, single concave to help with this. Again, this becomes a blessing when it’s really pumping out as the shotgun can hold more power and can also ride smoother at speed

Some side notes -

Design - I got a custom design on the Shotgun which makes it, of course in my opinion, the most bad ass looking board. If you dig the design, dude- obviously, you're not a golfer :thumb:

Customer Service - Let me tell you what, working with the Lieuwe guys- Roel and Dirk, what awesome individuals. These people give a shit and really care. They went out of there way to help me with a shipping issue and provided above and beyond service. I can't thank them enough for their help.

Pads - I love the Axis pads
CALencioni you ever tried the Shinn Bronq? is probably the best competitor of the Shotgun, I have one 135*41 is amazing and for many things similar to your description of the Shotgun, but I need a slightly bigger board like a 138 too and are some years that I'm thinking to take the Shotgun (listened many good words as for the Bronq) but I'm also waiting to hear someone that have tested both

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri May 14, 2021 8:58 am

DV

Not sure I fully understood your fin observations, and the following is just a general comment.

Before fitting a new fin I offer it up to the board without screws to see if the base fits flush. If it does not I would consider shaping the fin base to fit so that it is at least flush between the screws. Then it will not try to change the board rocker line as you screw it down. Maybe an anal detail in most cases......

Interestingly, some years ago, nobile introduced a small curved shim for the fins on one side of a board to, I believe, reduce spray. Obviously the tips of the board were fairly flexible.

Not suggesting you should do anything with your shotgun, just passing on a bit of experience for interest.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
Kitedicted (Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:20 am)

Return to “Reviews”