Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RRD Chicken loop slips out

Forum for kitesurfers
ACD2B
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands: Muiderberg/ Schellinkhout/ Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Still to discover.
Style: Freeride/ Beginner
Gear: RRD Vission 12m, Slingshot Rally 2016 9m, RRD Bliss LTD 139/43, RRD global bar v8.2
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

RRD Chicken loop slips out

Postby ACD2B » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi everyone, it has happened to me a few times already that out of nowhere my chicken loop "slips" out from my harness.
On good days I still hold the bar, on bad days, like today, my kite crashed on rocks after a jump.

Is this normal, or only specific to RRD/ some bars? Very annoying and seems dangerous of this happens mid-air, or in the middle of the sea.

- When it happened to me: casually kiting in a straight line the safety was released - might because it wasn't properly closed/ sandy... can happen.
- Walking to the water the loop slipped out, luckily I held on to the bar.
- crashed into the water and it slipped out. Was able to get to the bar and let the safety line back through the bar and get going again....
- after a sifter crash/ landing it slipped again and the de-powered kite just fell on rocks next to the beach...

Any tips or experience??
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's

Re: RRD Chicken loop slips out

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:33 pm

Buy a chicken finger and loop it on to your spreader bar, hook in and push the chicken finger under the chicken loop. This will prevent it ever accidentally slipping out again. The new chicken finger will point towards the kite (the reverse of a normal one)

https://powerkiteshop.com/wainman-hawai ... QPEALw_wcB
These users thanked the author BillyGoatGruff for the post (total 2):
Dave_5280 (Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:01 pm) • ACD2B (Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:52 am)
Rating: 13.33%

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:05 pm

ACD2B wrote: .....On good days I still hold the bar.....
Don't do that. Instead hold onto the chicken loop and let go of the bar. If you hold the bar when you're unintentionlly unhooked, you'll soon be overpowered. By holding the chicken loop, you'll then be able to take power out of the kite so you can hold onto it and control it (i.e., by reaching up to the bar, without pulling it in, to steer the kite) while you hook back in.

When unintentional unhooking happens, there are two likely causes. First, you could have a thin, limp donkey dick. (No offense intended, my friend. :wink: ) If your chicken loop has a donkey dick that bends easily, you can either replace it with a stiffer one or reinforce the one you have by wrapping it in duct tape. Second, some spreader bars have a "hook" that is more flat than hooked. If your hook is flat, which might allow your chicken loop to slide off, especially when your lines go slack, consider replacing the spreader bar with one that has a more secure hook.

Stay safe out there. :thumb:
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
ACD2B (Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:52 am)
Rating: 6.67%

arjas
Rare Poster
Gear: Shinn Monk,North Nugget, RRD Religion,Passion,Vision

Postby arjas » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:14 pm

Which RRD bar you have?
It was problem with chicken finger on older 5 and 6 generation RRD bars. Problem solved starting generation 7.
If it is older bar you can replace chicken finger, for some time it will work.

b.r.
Arnold

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 68kg
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards
Freeride Twintip

Postby Da Yoda » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:21 pm

ACD2B wrote: Any tips or experience??
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
What harness are you using? There's a small possibility the spreader hook is a windsurfing hook vs kitesurfing. Windsurfing hooks are more prone to CL slippage.

Tip: Consider a loop instead of a hook. If you don't do any unhooked tricks, this could be a perfect option.
Mystic and Ride Engine both have spreaders with a small rope/loop for non-sliding, non-unhooking function.
Ion has a new Quicklock loop accessory for their C-Bar spreader bar.
Neil Pryde used to have their Halo spreader (single strap dependent). If you search around, some are still available.
These users thanked the author Da Yoda for the post:

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:49 pm

Never had a slippage or accidental opening with global bar v7 v8 but long swims due to center line snapping on a jump. The one inside the tube. Keep an eye on it. And replace often. It never lasted 6months for me. I think they had a recall of v8 because of it. But I had v8.2 with same issue.
These users thanked the author deniska for the post:

ACD2B
Rare Poster
Gear: RRD Vission 12m, Slingshot Rally 2016 9m, RRD Bliss LTD 139/43, RRD global bar v8.2

Postby ACD2B » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:40 am

deniska wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:49 pm
Never had a slippage or accidental opening with global bar v7 v8 but long swims due to center line snapping on a jump. The one inside the tube. Keep an eye on it. And replace often. It never lasted 6months for me. I think they had a recall of v8 because of it. But I had v8.2 with same issue.
Hi there, I've got the v8.2 global bar, so think that one took care of that problem I believe, following the recall. So far I like the bar and the lines seem to be strong. Have been intensively kiting for a year so have crashed it a few time grind the line in the board, and got tangled a few times. One of my lines has a slight damage, which needs replacement, but so far it held pretty well 👌 thanks for the reply

ACD2B
Rare Poster

Postby ACD2B » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:45 am

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:33 pm
Buy a chicken finger and loop it on to your spreader bar, hook in and push the chicken finger under the chicken loop. This will prevent it ever accidentally slipping out again.

https://powerkiteshop.com/wainman-hawai ... QPEALw_wcB
Interesting, will see if I can manage with my current one. I've read some brief posts that it happened to other people as well but reasons vary. I will check thi one!! 👌

ACD2B
Rare Poster

Postby ACD2B » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:49 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:05 pm
ACD2B wrote: .....On good days I still hold the bar.....

When unintentional unhooking happens, there are two likely causes. First, you could have a thin, limp donkey dick. (No offense intended, my friend. :wink: ) If your chicken loop has a donkey dick that bends easily, you can either replace it with a stiffer one or reinforce the one you have by wrapping it in duct tape. Second, some spreader bars have a "hook" that is more flat than hooked. If your hook is flat, which might allow your chicken loop to slide off, especially when your lines go slack, consider replacing the spreader bar with one that has a more secure hook.

Stay safe out there. :thumb:
Helloo! Thanks for the reply. By good days I mean I am holding the bar which prevents from the bar flying away and the kite flaging out, meaning the session is most likely over. First time it happened I struggled, as you say fully powered kite (that time the chicken loop ejected actually) but second time I managed ok.

Luckily not mid-airyet, which is what I am afraid of the most... I am using a Mystic Star harness.

ACD2B
Rare Poster

Postby ACD2B » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 am

arjas wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:14 pm
Which RRD bar you have?
It was problem with chicken finger on older 5 and 6 generation RRD bars. Problem solved starting generation 7.
If it is older bar you can replace chicken finger, for some time it will work.

b.r.
Arnold
I've got the 8.2 generation. Love the bar but this is rather annoying. The chicken dock narrows down a bit towards the end, maybe that is the weakness. Maybe smaller loop would help...

Return to “Kitesurfing”