Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone Rebel kite question/advice needed

Forum for kitesurfers
Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 734
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:25 am
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone 21' Rebel 7M, 9m & 11m, 15m Juice, on a Lieuwe Shotgun
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 567 times
Been thanked: 157 times

Re: Duotone Rebel kite question/advice needed

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:42 pm

bigairjim wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:52 pm
Hi guys, I have a rebel 9m and 13m, the 2021 model. I've also had the 2019 13m and 10m. I dont think 2020 was much of an improvement over the 2019 (which were both very good). In between I tried the 2020 10m Dice which actually jumped higher than the rebel (I left it about 1m over the water before edging and sending fast). In any case, the 2021 was a massive improvement over the others in my opinion. Its a much more direct feel and much, much faster steering. I've PRd on both the 2021 13m and 9m. Just a note that the 9m has zero hang time but the 13m is a hang time beast. An 11-12m should serve very wel...
Agreed about the improvements over '19 & '20 but the 9m has zero hangtime? Don't fool the other please, the Rebel has huge hangtime just like the other sizes and with helilooping the 9m youwill stay in the air like forever, are you sure you are Bigair Jim?

Kemperman
Rare Poster
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:23 am
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 78
Style: Big air, freeride
Gear: Cabrinha FX, Duotone Rebel, Cabrinha Moto
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Duotone Rebel kite question/advice needed

Postby Kemperman » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:32 pm

9m Rebel has a lot of hangtime. More than most of the 9m kites. But with all kites: more wind = more hangtime. With my 7m FX i could also have 12sec hangtime.

bigairjim
Rare Poster
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:04 pm
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 163
Local Beach: Dorado, Puerto Rico
Style: Big Air
Gear: Duotone, Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Duotone Rebel kite question/advice needed

Postby bigairjim » Thu May 13, 2021 2:33 am

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:42 pm
bigairjim wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:52 pm
Hi guys, I have a rebel 9m and 13m, the 2021 model. I've also had the 2019 13m and 10m. I dont think 2020 was much of an improvement over the 2019 (which were both very good). In between I tried the 2020 10m Dice which actually jumped higher than the rebel (I left it about 1m over the water before edging and sending fast). In any case, the 2021 was a massive improvement over the others in my opinion. Its a much more direct feel and much, much faster steering. I've PRd on both the 2021 13m and 9m. Just a note that the 9m has zero hang time but the 13m is a hang time beast. An 11-12m should serve very wel...
Agreed about the improvements over '19 & '20 but the 9m has zero hangtime? Don't fool the other please, the Rebel has huge hangtime just like the other sizes and with helilooping the 9m youwill stay in the air like forever, are you sure you are Bigair Jim?
Well I have taken the 9m Rebel to only 58 feet but yeah I would still maintain if you dont heli loop the 9m you will drop like a rock.

bigairjim
Rare Poster
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:04 pm
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 163
Local Beach: Dorado, Puerto Rico
Style: Big Air
Gear: Duotone, Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Duotone Rebel kite question/advice needed

Postby bigairjim » Thu May 13, 2021 2:38 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:23 pm
bigairjim wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:52 pm
Hi guys, I have a rebel 9m and 13m, the 2021 model. I've also had the 2019 13m and 10m. I dont think 2020 was much of an improvement over the 2019 (which were both very good). In between I tried the 2020 10m Dice which actually jumped higher than the rebel (I left it about 1m over the water before edging and sending fast). In any case, the 2021 was a massive improvement over the others in my opinion. Its a much more direct feel and much, much faster steering. I've PRd on both the 2021 13m and 9m. Just a note that the 9m has zero hang time but the 13m is a hang time beast. An 11-12m should serve very wel...
Thats odd about the 2021 9m having low hangtime. I'm not a particularly skilled rider but even I manage 7 seconds of hangtime from the 2019 9m without heli-looping or anything and I'm only really hitting 8m in height (according to my on board device) so I thought the hangtime with the 2019 kite was pretty decent. What hangtime are you getting from your 13m?
Intersting. Im usually out in 17-20 knots and ~40ft jumps are hang times of around 6 seconds with a single heliloop landing. I guess what I mean is that compared to a 10m 2019 Rebel the hang time on the 9m seems way less - and this is my first 9m. All said though the kite is really, really good. Very responsive and jumps well.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: Duotone Rebel kite question/advice needed

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu May 13, 2021 10:30 am

bigairjim wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:38 am
nothing2seehere wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:23 pm
bigairjim wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:52 pm
Hi guys, I have a rebel 9m and 13m, the 2021 model. I've also had the 2019 13m and 10m. I dont think 2020 was much of an improvement over the 2019 (which were both very good). In between I tried the 2020 10m Dice which actually jumped higher than the rebel (I left it about 1m over the water before edging and sending fast). In any case, the 2021 was a massive improvement over the others in my opinion. Its a much more direct feel and much, much faster steering. I've PRd on both the 2021 13m and 9m. Just a note that the 9m has zero hang time but the 13m is a hang time beast. An 11-12m should serve very wel...
Thats odd about the 2021 9m having low hangtime. I'm not a particularly skilled rider but even I manage 7 seconds of hangtime from the 2019 9m without heli-looping or anything and I'm only really hitting 8m in height (according to my on board device) so I thought the hangtime with the 2019 kite was pretty decent. What hangtime are you getting from your 13m?
Intersting. Im usually out in 17-20 knots and ~40ft jumps are hang times of around 6 seconds with a single heliloop landing. I guess what I mean is that compared to a 10m 2019 Rebel the hang time on the 9m seems way less - and this is my first 9m. All said though the kite is really, really good. Very responsive and jumps well.
The wind strength probably accounts for some of the difference then. I'm looking to take my 9m out in 20-25knots so that would play a part in the hangtime (though apparently not as skillful as my best jump isn't 40ft according to my PIQ). I'd be on my 11m Rebel in 17-20 knots.

bigairjim
Rare Poster
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:04 pm
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 163
Local Beach: Dorado, Puerto Rico
Style: Big Air
Gear: Duotone, Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Duotone Rebel kite question/advice needed

Postby bigairjim » Thu May 13, 2021 5:55 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:30 am
bigairjim wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:38 am
nothing2seehere wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:23 pm


Thats odd about the 2021 9m having low hangtime. I'm not a particularly skilled rider but even I manage 7 seconds of hangtime from the 2019 9m without heli-looping or anything and I'm only really hitting 8m in height (according to my on board device) so I thought the hangtime with the 2019 kite was pretty decent. What hangtime are you getting from your 13m?
Intersting. Im usually out in 17-20 knots and ~40ft jumps are hang times of around 6 seconds with a single heliloop landing. I guess what I mean is that compared to a 10m 2019 Rebel the hang time on the 9m seems way less - and this is my first 9m. All said though the kite is really, really good. Very responsive and jumps well.
The wind strength probably accounts for some of the difference then. I'm looking to take my 9m out in 20-25knots so that would play a part in the hangtime (though apparently not as skillful as my best jump isn't 40ft according to my PIQ). I'd be on my 11m Rebel in 17-20 knots.
I wish I could get out in 25 knots. Yeah, I used to have the piq but it fell off on a jump and now I'm using the woo.

fzonatto
Medium Poster
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:55 pm
Local Beach: florianopolis
Style: freeride
Gear: north rebel
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Duotone Rebel kite question/advice needed

Postby fzonatto » Tue May 18, 2021 12:53 am

I used tto ride SB, my last was a 2016 and actually did not change anything for 2017 is the same kite as far as I remembered, after that I switch to Rebel and never changes is a way better kite on my opinion.
Regarding the jight if I am not wrong nick Jacobsen jumped 28 or 26 meter in a 10 m switchblade from this year...so I do believe that with practice you still can jump higher on your SB. However O would never return do SB from my Rebel

Kerplow
Medium Poster
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 64 Kg
Local Beach: EU
Style: Allrounder
Gear: North Reach 13, 11
North Orbit 10, 8, 6
North Focus 136+boots
North Atmos 133
Duotone Team 134
Duotone Whip 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Duotone Rebel kite question/advice needed

Postby Kerplow » Tue May 18, 2021 6:56 am

BritishKiteMark wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:24 pm
Thank you all for your help, all of your recommendations and advice.
I do indeed own a Woo 3. I only started using the woo around a year ago after I had already been Kiting for quite a few years. Surprisingly I haven't improved my jump height since one of the very first sessions despite having analysed my technique as much as possible.
I may have reached my peak but will continue to push myself... Totally addicted to the feeling of flying!
To be honest, I'm in the same situation as you are. But I think, that is not so much what (high aspect/big air) kites you use, but your technique and physical strength. More and harder leg-days would probably get your new PBs.

I owned Rebels, tested (multiple times) Xr6s, now I own Orbits. Switching from SB to one of these, would help as well (count Ozone Edge to this list).


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 58 guests