Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Newbie - advice needed

Forum for kitesurfers
Pat Kwiat
Rare Poster
Weight: 90kg
Local Beach: Belfast
Gear: Training one but looking for proper gear...
Brand Affiliation: Core,Mystic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Newbie - advice needed

Postby Pat Kwiat » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi i just started my journey with kitesurfing, ive got training gear and im looking for a proper stuff so i need some advices.
Im 6ft , 90kg , i live in northern ireland so strenght of wind is usually 10-20 sometimes 25mph. What size of kite should i look for? Ive got budget only for 1 kite right now so im looking for something in the middle.
Any suggestions apreciated :D

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Newbie - advice needed

Postby Toby » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:09 pm

welcome!

you have weight, so don't get too small.

Don't buy for 25 mph, buy for the lighter wind.

I suggest something between 12-14 sqm. If more 10-15, then 14, if more 15-20 then 12. If around 15, then 13.

Remember, you need power to get going. And you will find your limits when winds pick up and you practise being powered as well.

And around this size you can then later build up your quiver with a 10 or 9, and a 15-18.

Let us know what you went for at the end and if it worked out for you.

PS: I assume you already had lessons?

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:26 pm

Listen to Toby!

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:46 pm

Depends also on your age, fitness, determination, and prevailing conditions. If 60% of your days are 25knt and you're lessons were in such conditions and you're comfortable and, ideally also, have buddies- get the kite you will used most. The initial learning curve is really quite fast-no point having a 14m if your first few months dont see you getting out much. I'd go 10m or 11m myself if your bit of the UK is like mine (I have 7,9,12 and weigh 75kg. My 9m gets by far the most use). Cheap surfboards are usually around for the lighter wind days.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:51 pm

Get some local advice if you can. As summer is coming I would lean towards a 14m but you are bound to have some frustration with a one kite quiver. A 14m is not the middle but in its proper working range it will give you a relatively mellow learning experience. If you want to be more aggressive get a 12m and pick windier days. Either way good luck!

kitelife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Postby kitelife » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:17 am

Pat Kwiat wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 pm
Hi i just started my journey with kitesurfing, ive got training gear and im looking for a proper stuff so i need some advices.
Im 6ft , 90kg , i live in northern ireland so strenght of wind is usually 10-20 sometimes 25mph.
Keep in mind Ireland is colder and wind is more dense. Some may be giving a kite size base on a warmer climate. Also best to rig for the gusts especially when dealing with cold storm fronts. You should check with local kiters in Ireland. They know the conditions.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:49 am

How much does the temperature matter?

I have used my 9 in Zanzibar which is rather hot. I don't know the exact temperature, but certainly above 30 degrees C. And I have used my 9 in probably less then 10 degrees C in Norway. I didn't measure the wind in both spots - a bit surprised how little it seemed to matter, but I guess if someone knows a bit of physics they should be able to tell how much we are talking about?

It might seem counter-intuitive, but I think beginners are better off with a kite slightly too big than too small. So many times in light wind places you see beginners moving the kite all over the place trying to generate enough power to get going. One small mistake and they are in the water again. I did the same thing as I bought a 12m in Cabarete as my first kite. 15-18 knots in somewhat choppy Cabarete (mainly Bozo) at somewhere around 100kg is just a hassle. Then I bought the 17m and I finally started kiting.

To mike's post I would also add personality. Some are afraid of kites pulling a bit "too much". Even now after quite a few years getting yanked by a gust with a 17m isn't always pleasant. If that puts you off then going big isn't going to help you - even if it works 99% of the time.

15mph/13knots with a 14m at 90kg. Sounds optimistic to me unless you got a big board and flat water. It works I guess, but probably not for a beginner. I'm planning to replace my 17m with a 14m for conditions around 15knots. Maybe I could still go with less wind, but it wouldn't be any fun (at 100kg). So it would also depend on how often you got the different kinds of wind. 20 mph/17knots should work fine with a 14m - generally speaking. I don't think 25mph is a problem either at 90kg, but could be a bit rough for a beginner - so might be better to accept that you can't get it all with one kite.

tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Postby tomato » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:45 am

Havre wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:49 am

It might seem counter-intuitive, but I think beginners are better off with a kite slightly too big than too small. So many times in light wind places you see beginners moving the kite all over the place trying to generate enough power to get going. One small mistake and they are in the water again. I did the same thing as I bought a 12m in Cabarete as my first kite. 15-18 knots in somewhat choppy Cabarete (mainly Bozo) at somewhere around 100kg is just a hassle. Then I bought the 17m and I finally started kiting.
yes, beginners should have 1-2m2 kites bigger than the rest, noobs do not ride with efficiency. I could learn to ride upwind only a bit overpowered, if a gust hits you- just lower the kite closer to the water.

GetHighOrDieTrying
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Ozone

Postby GetHighOrDieTrying » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:28 pm

would recommend a bigger size probably something like a 13/14m . look for a kite with good depower which will allow you to handle the high end of the wind range better. buy used only from someone you know how he handled the kite and ideally try it out before buying to see if you like it. you can also get a larger board like 140x42. don't get a small board as your low end will suffer quite a bit. stay safe and enjoy the ride!

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:16 pm

tomato wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:45 am
yes, beginners should have 1-2m2 kites bigger than the rest, noobs do not ride with efficiency. I could learn to ride upwind only a bit overpowered, if a gust hits you- just lower the kite closer to the water.
Havre wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:49 am
It might seem counter-intuitive, but I think beginners are better off with a kite slightly too big than too small. So many times in light wind places you see beginners moving the kite all over the place trying to generate enough power to get going. One small mistake and they are in the water again.

This advice can get beginners hurt inland. If you are in a dirty wind location, stay safe by keeping kite size smaller than most while still in the "crashy" stage.

And yes it is a longer path to getting upwind when using a smaller kite. But the skills gained on that longer path are orders of magnitude greater than using an over sized kite as a crutch. Take for example:

My local lake has seen quite a few experienced kiters from "out of town" show up to kite because they were here for a job or just visiting. Some of them kite almost exclusively at "world class" kite spots. A handful of these could throw tricks I cant even name. But every single one of even the baddest a-- out of town kiters could not stay upwind at my local lake. While at the same time, a local newbie (usually on a smaller size) with only a month between now and when they first stayed upwind, could stay upwind.

So if a new kiter has a short attention span, go somewhere safe with clean winds and use a slightly oversized kite - that's perfectly fine. You will have fun and probably stay interested.

If you are going to try to learn somewhere less than ideal, take every precaution including using a smaller kite. Not only will you get hurt less and not wreck your gear as much, you will also be developing efficiency skills - some of those skills even experienced kiters never develop.

And as a foot note - I tried to teach myself on a non-depower kite that was too big for the gustieness of my local. It nearly made me quit kiting. So too big a kite also has the chance of scaring a sane person away all together.

Return to “Kitesurfing”