Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Thermal trousers/shorts (neoprene) underneath the wetsuit?

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Thermal trousers/shorts (neoprene) underneath the wetsuit?

Postby Havre » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:31 pm

Anyone got any experience with something like this?

https://www.select-sport.com/en/profcar ... l-trousers

I got a 4/3 wetsuit that works great for more or less the full spring/summer/autumn season in Norway - as well as places like Cape Town. But occasionally it would be nice to have some extra warmth without going 5/4. I also tend to get slightly cold during long sessions in places like Martinique - where a full wetsuit definitely isn't needed, but shorts and rash guard might not be enough - so having one of those to use under the normal shorts would also be great.

I know SBR neoprene isn't the best for wetsuits, but I just need a layer that gives me slightly more warmth - so would it be good enough?

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Re: Thermal trousers/shorts (neoprene) underneath the wetsuit?

Postby nixmatters » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:48 pm

Havre wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:31 pm
Anyone got any experience with something like this?

https://www.select-sport.com/en/profcar ... l-trousers

I got a 4/3 wetsuit that works great for more or less the full spring/summer/autumn season in Norway - as well as places like Cape Town. But occasionally it would be nice to have some extra warmth without going 5/4. I also tend to get slightly cold during long sessions in places like Martinique - where a full wetsuit definitely isn't needed, but shorts and rash guard might not be enough - so having one of those to use under the normal shorts would also be great.

I know SBR neoprene isn't the best for wetsuits, but I just need a layer that gives me slightly more warmth - so would it be good enough?
You're better off with a short john for both occeasions. SBR neoprene and that thick waist hem/drawstring.... :nono:
Make sure it doens't have a back zip.

A rashguard under the wetsuit is no worth. A proper thermal liner that wicks very little water - yes. Check the MYSTIC Bipoly line, NP Therma Base, ION have something similar too.

jms
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Botany Bay, Sydney
Gear: Ozone, CrazyFly, Switch
Has thanked: 0

Postby jms » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:32 am

I wear neoprene shorts as extra padding for my seat harness - both without a wetsuit and underneath one. Honestly I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make warmth wise unless you're getting particularly cold bollocks? My impact vest makes a much bigger difference to warmth.
These users thanked the author jms for the post:
iriejohn (Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:14 am

You might try a jacket. A warm core will help keep your extremities warmer as well. Ion has a neoprene zip-up and Mystic has a pull-over shell. It’s mainly the added wind protection that these jackets facilitate that allows for increased warmth.
https://www.mysticboarding.com/products ... -spraytop-
https://www.ion-products.com/water/men/ ... se-jacket/

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:00 am

Thanks.

Obviously not talking about a huge difference here, but I could see a benefit from keeping your thighs "warmer" - even if they wouldn't feel warm.

I did notice the Mystic Bipoly line and it does look interesting. Would be interesting to hear if anyone got any experience with that kind of clothing.

I am also in a position where I do have some extra "space" in my wetsuit. I get that layering from the "inside" normally doesn't make sense, but it might for me. Not exactly loose fit, but since I am more tall than "fat" I have yet to find a wetsuit that fits me perfectly. The really snug ones are always too short - even in the "long" sizes (just the other day found srface - their sizing seems to be spot on for me - maybe next time).

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:49 am

If budget's not an issue, check ISURUS. The only brand I know with 'Extra Tall' size:
"size LTS is designed specifically for a surfer build with long arms and legs where a MT is too short on the arms/legs and the LT is too loose."

They are one of the very few surf wetsuit brands using Yamamoto #39 and #40, lined with some of the warmest stuff I've ever seen.
For sure you won't need anything underneath their TI EVADE 4.3.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:47 am

My plan would see if I could have the most flexible "wardrobe" as possible with as little as possible equipment. I could just buy a new ticker wetsuit of course, but would like to see if there are other ways. I will remember to check those out nix when I end up replacing the one I got though.

My 4/3 works for basically 95-98% of all kiting I would potentially do living in Oslo. It is mainly for some days in April I would like to have something a bit warmer - before the sea temperature goes above at least 10 degrees C. Also the odd day in the fall, but that is not so common due to the lack of light. Weekdays are impossible after work - so only possible in the weekends. And as mentioned I have experienced both in Southern Europe and Caribbean times when something slightly warmer than shorts and t-shirt would be nice without going for a full wetsuit. In other words, 2 in 1 type of situation.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:21 pm

It's generally not a good idea to double up on the neoprene in order to get more warmth because there's a lot of constriction that happens by having the double layers you're better off by having a thicker neoprene suit however a thermal layer is fantastically warming and very good what you want for that thermal layer is for it to be some sort of poly blend my favorite is to use the under armor thermal top and bottom under my wetsuit that gives you a lot of extra warmth without decreasing any of your mobility and I'll use the under armor on every wet suit up from the 2 mm up to my 5. I also use the hyperflex thermal layer and that one is really easy to put on since it is a one suit instead of a top and a bottom but provides a little less warmth than the under armor 4.0. I've tried doubling neoprene both on top and underneath and it's never worked out well unless you use one of the neoprene jackets which fits loosely over your current wetsuit and allows you to get more warmth without decreasing your flexibility
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Havre (Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:49 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:48 pm

jms wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:32 am
I wear neoprene shorts as extra padding for my seat harness - both without a wetsuit and underneath one. Honestly I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make warmth wise unless you're getting particularly cold bollocks? My impact vest makes a much bigger difference to warmth.
Agreed.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:09 am

I haven't found much advantage layering wetsuits. It's never been as warm as a good quality single wetsuit. For example a 3mm suit with a 2mm does not give you a 5mm and is not as warm as a 4mm.

What does make a difference is wearing a thermal layer inside the wetsuit. Polypropylene is very good. It works well and is cheap and robust.

A friend swears by merino, but that's a bit expensive and fragile. I didn't notice much difference between polypro and merino. Polypro can get a bit of a musty smell if you don't wash it thoroughly from time to time. Rinsing after a session isn't enough.

Return to “Kitesurfing”