Weight: 195
Local Beach: Creve Coure Lake
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Kite surfer here

Postby jben12 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:16 pm

Hi all! Thanks for welcoming me to your community! I have NEVER been kitesurfing. It has always interested me, however. There is a large lake near my house where I have seen others kite surfing and I would like to take up the hobby myself. I have no idea where to begin, though. That's where I was hoping this group could help me out. There's lots of you tube videos to learn the basics of how to actually kitesurf/board, but I haven't found any good videos or resources for what to buy to get started. I am looking for a list of required vs suggested gear to get started or something along hose lines. Hints/tips when it comes to beginners gear ect ect. I have found several packages online that are surprisingly inexpensive. I found one that was less than $700. Is this a too good to be true kind of deal? Are there certain pieces of equipment that are worth spending more money up front on vs buying an inexpensive piece of equipment to get started? Any info you have to help me get started in this hobby would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: New Kite surfer here

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:05 pm

Welcome!

If of is not a china store I think a package like that is awesome!
But also depends what gear it is...so more info would be needed. Also your weight and expected wind speeds.

Good start would be to go to the lake when liters are out...start a chat, everyone is welcoming and happy to share info.

They will point you also to the local kite school, because lessons are highly advices! Because the sport has its dangers.

Watch lots of youtube videos, also on the INFO and SAFETY forum in here you will find lots of helpful info and videos.
So once you take lessons you already have a vast understanding of all and can advance faster.

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 220
Local Beach: White Rock, BC, Canada
Favorite Beaches: White Rock, BC
Squamish, BC
Nitinaht Lake, BC, Vancouver Island
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Style: Freestyle, Big Air, Foiling
Gear: Kites:
Airush Ultra 7m, 9m, 12m, 14m
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Moses T65 Foling Board with a 633W front wing

Postby glfmkg » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:05 pm

I was in the same situation as you last summer.... my best advise, don't buy any gear and spend your money in having proper instruction. Find a school near you and learn with a qualified instructor. They normally provide you with all you need to get started. Inexpensive equipment and kiting don't go together. You can find good pre-owned gear, but I would highly suggest you do this after you have learned and you will understand which options are best for you. Good luck and you will love the process of getting addicted to this wonderful sport!

Every one is different learning, I had lots of experience windsurfing, surfing and sailing - it took 10 private classes (2 to 3 hours each) for me to get fully independent and ride with confident that I was going to come back and be safe - including learning several ways to launch/land on my own as well. I still learning a lot, and after 75 sessions (I tracked them) since I started I still have a lot to learn. I'm now working on jumping and I can easily land 5 to 6 meters jumps... it is a lot of fun!

G

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:06 pm

PS: download the app Kiteboard Hero...this will teach you basics and is fun to play. It's cheap and I am sure it will save you an hour of instructions, so well worth it !

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:10 pm

Yeah. I would make it very clear that taking lessons is HIGHLY advisable. It is possible to learn by yourself, but even if I do not consider kitesurfing especially dangerous you got to respect it. A bit like driving a motorcycle. If it goes wrong it can go badly wrong (even if it rarely goes badly wrong).

In terms of gear it would depend on the local conditions and what kind of riding they are doing. This is next to St. Louis?

USD700 is in any case cheap. Can't see that being possible unless we are talking about fairly well used equipment? And a package means kite, bar, board and harness?
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Kerplow (Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:06 pm

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:37 pm

You have figured out the water location....good

Now you have to figure out the ideal wind direction

Learn all you can about the wind there

When you see people out kiteboarding on the lake find out the wind direction it is coming from and the strength

Is that the lake you are talking about ?

Creve Coeur Memorial Lake

Not very long perhaps 1 mile 1/4

Wind direction is important to have the cleanest wind undisturbed by / trees / houses etc

Aerial picture :

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4067/5138 ... 9cf3_b.jpg

Map :

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=creve+coeur ... ae2d4d32ee
Last edited by PullStrings on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:43 pm

Creve Coeur is very tempting as it is a nice size for learning, it is convieniently located, and has lots of sandy beach for launching. But all that is a cruel deception! In fact, Creve Coeur is horrible for kiteboarding.
There is no steady wind there. Kiteboarding at Creve Coeur is like trying to waterski with the driver of the ski-boat going pedal to the metal, then taking his foot off the gas, then a couple of seconds later full blast again, etc, etc. It just ain't gonna work.
At Creve Coeur you also risk injury to others, as this is a busy park and people are always wandering all over the beach.

Sounds like a beautiful place for kitesurfing.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:45 pm

Yes it looks like a tough place to kite

Cannot imagine trying to learn there

jjm
Medium Poster

Postby jjm » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:37 pm

Figure out where the kiters are launching from. Show up with a couple six packs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIqSa6tD2zx/

Return to “Kitesurfing”