Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Re: Gin Kiteboarding Spirit

Postby nate76 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:51 am

I got an 18m Instinct for a customer who plans on using it next year for a Greenland expedition; he let me take it out for a few sessions before I handed it over to him and I can confirm everything Derek is saying. The Instinct felt just as solid as the 15m Spirit in my experience with zero tip-tucking and incredibly easy launch/reverse-launch. The other take-away I had was that I could keep more speed without feeling like I was being forced downwind. The lift/hangtime was paraglider-like. Unfortunately, I only got to use it on snow but imagine it would be incredible for light wind water riding.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Ice101 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:55 am

Can’t find any gin retailers in the uk? Would love to demo one in my area at Portland where the Olympic uk racers all train!

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Postby mr-markus » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:53 pm

Gin Spirit flies with all common bars? just curious before buying a 15m.

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:34 pm

mr-markus wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:53 pm
Gin Spirit flies with all common bars? just curious before buying a 15m.
Yes, the spirit I tried flew perfectly on a standard same line length bar from kote attitude.
These users thanked the author lederhosen for the post:
mr-markus (Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:14 pm

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.

Postby mr-markus » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:45 am

Just a quick question, got me a new 15m and a Kite attitude bar. For normal kiting a needed to pull the depower almost completely in just 16knots. (no backstall,no power) Made the steeringlines longer and still not enough power even in 18knots. What i am doing wrong?

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:33 am

mr-markus wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:45 am
Just a quick question, got me a new 15m and a Kite attitude bar. For normal kiting a needed to pull the depower almost completely in just 16knots. (no backstall,no power) Made the steeringlines longer and still not enough power even in 18knots. What i am doing wrong?
It sounds like you depower when you want more power, so you do the oposite of what you want to do. On a 4 linr kite, longer steeringlines mean less power.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:36 am

mr-markus wrote:
I think you have mistyped somewhat or at least it's not clear to me. You use FS foils I see in your profile so familiar with kiting in general.
-- "no backstall, no power" & "steeringlines longer" -- will alway give less power ..

did you check your bar and lines? and setup according Gin's recommendation? (don't know what they are)

mr-markus
Medium Poster

Postby mr-markus » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:51 pm

Janus wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:36 am
mr-markus wrote:
I think you have mistyped somewhat or at least it's not clear to me. You use FS foils I see in your profile so familiar with kiting in general.
-- "no backstall, no power" & "steeringlines longer" -- will alway give less power ..

did you check your bar and lines? and setup according Gin's recommendation? (don't know what they are)
When depowering a bit you can fly better in low wind, at least with FS. When riding full power with the Gin,no power. bit depower, no power. equal lines on the bar,checked it double. Will check Gin for a recommendation. Thx for the reply's!!

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:10 am

if the bar/lines are zero/neutral the Spirit should work fine, i have flown dozens of them on all kinds of bars and always works fine, sounds like there is something else going on. For the 15m to not be making power in 18kn there is a drastic problem, I have flown the 15m in about 8kn and found enough power for my 115kg to get lifted into the air. Maybe try a different bar and/or try a short mixer test to check the mixer isn't faulty but i've never seen a faulty mixer on a new Spirit. Does the kite inflate ok, can you post a video to show the problem? Can you stall the kite and see where the stall point is? if you can't stall it just by sheeting the bar in try grabbing the backlines and pulling until the kite stalls and see where the stall point is. if you have 10 kites (per your profile) you must have a lot of bars you can try and most of them should allow the kite to fly ok. Did you buy the kite from your country dealer/distributor? they should be able to help work out what is going wrong, the bar you use for your sonics should work on your Gin Spirit in almost exactly the same way.
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post:
mr-markus (Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”