Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

why put the bottom handle near the end of the board?

Forum for wing surfers
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: why put the bottom handle near the end of the board?

Postby fluidity » Fri May 07, 2021 7:29 am

jkrug wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:50 pm
fluidity wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:35 am
Crikey jkrug, you put in a complaint on a public thread and when people explain why and that it works for them, you tell them they are wrong!
My F-one inflateable 7'6 board I made a 3D printed handle and fitted the centre of it about 200mm forward of the front of the mast, on the 5'6 board I made, I fited a 3D printed inside handle about 150mm centre in front of the mast front and that also ballances just fine!
jkrug, its you that is out of balance, not your board !
i opened this topic because i was hoping designers would reconsider where they put the insert handle on the bottom. that's all. if where it is works for you and everyone else, that doesn't negate the fact that it doesn't work for me (though it likely means no designer will change what they're doing). i haven't told anyone they're wrong about their experiences, i'm only telling about mine. if you want to argue with me about what happens to me when i try to carry my board, then maybe it's you that is out of balance.
jkrug, unless your board is super short like <4 foot then the balance point of the board with foil attached is before halfway from stern. if you have a super short board and the manufacturer hasn't compensated for the short length by moving the balance point closer to the middle then that's a specific manufacturer issue applying to your short board. Your front foil needs to be just in front of the middle of the board for the centre of ballance to be in the middle of the board.

If the manufacturer has stuffed up then get someone to print one of my 3D handle designs below and superglue it underneath after you've tested the best location with a tie down strap:
https://pinshape.com/items/103544-3d-pr ... rab-handle
https://pinshape.com/items/103532-3d-pr ... rab-handle

But I assure you, yours is an uncommon experience that does not justify "fixing" of the majority of other ones that are ballance centered!

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jkrug » Fri May 07, 2021 12:42 pm

fluidity wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:29 am

jkrug, unless your board is super short like <4 foot then the balance point of the board with foil attached is before halfway from stern....

But I assure you, yours is an uncommon experience that does not justify "fixing" of the majority of other ones that are ballance centered!
my bottom insert handle is 1.5 inches from the front most part of the mast track. it's a 6 foot board. that leaves an awful lot of board in front of the handle. again, if everyone else has no problem with carrying it like that, then you're right...it's my problem. i just find it hard to believe i'm the only one. It's a Fanatic 6' Sky Wing. I like the board, i just don't like carrying it and the wing at the same time. Fortunately I'm getting a little better at winging and not doing the walk of shame as much.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri May 07, 2021 9:30 pm

It should never be close to the center of the board, thats for sure.

But I think you are right, they have "misplaced" it on your current quite long board.

Too far aft most likely, even with a superheavy foil with heavy fuselage :roll:

Probably they were thinking: It works on short wing boards, so we just make the nose longer for beginners, and thats the only change :wink:

But it is not.

So I really think you are right, it is "off" on your board.

But you started out almost saying it should be close to the center of the board, which it should never be.

Might work with superlight carbon foils, but hey, those using a board that length, almost solely ride heavy alu foils - so in this respect it makes sense.

Apparently too close to the mast track though.

8) Peter

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Fri May 07, 2021 11:13 pm

i agree it should not be at center of board after looking down on it today while carrying. but even 4 or 5 inches forward would help a lot towards keeping me from dragging the nose of the board on the ground.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:22 pm

jkrug wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:19 pm
i've noticed all winging boards i've seen that have insert handles on the bottom (which is a smart thing) place those handles very close to the mast track for the foil, i.e., close to the rear end of the board. this makes no sense to me. when carrying my board using this handle, the nose of the board wants to drag in the sand. it's probably less of an issue for smaller boards (mine is a 6 footer), but regardless of size, wouldn't it be ergonomically sound to put the handle much closer to the middle of the board? unless there is a technical reason against doing so, it would make carrying the board so much easier and better balanced. and when you're a beginner like i am, there's a lot of carrying going on.
Which board and foil combo are you using? Your comments make it sound like you are carrying the board without the foil attached.

--
Gunnar

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sat May 08, 2021 6:07 am

I put my handle centre 28cm forward of my foil box centre. Works well on my 5'6 board and I have my foil base about 1cm back from foilbox middle for best ride with my DIY composites clad 1800sq cm 3D printed core foil.
Sounds like yours (jkrug) is closer to the foilbox centre than this. Bad placement, I agree. Oh.. and sounds like it's going to be less of a problem for you soon! As you spend more time up on foil! They are great for getting up wind... it's actually harder at first going downwind!

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Sat May 08, 2021 8:25 am

You are probably doing this already but when walking the gear upwind it helps a lot to carry the board tail first,so it weathervanes.

Return to “Wingsurfing”