Style: Big Air
Gear: Duotone, Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Always problems with abs

Postby bigairjim » Thu May 13, 2021 2:47 am

1234567Simon wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:51 am
Ok, yes.... I am not the six-pack abs Monster....🤦‍♂️

One hour of twin tip boosting: I feel my abs the next three days....

Two hours of twin tip boosting: can’t move for 5 days

Especially lower abs are killing me.
Already switched to a seat harness. It got better...

YES: I have been working out my abs with focus on the lower abs.... it got better, but still riding two days in a row full power is not possible.

Problem is, if I go ride full power while still feeling the Muskels hurting, the Risk of injury is quite big.

What’s the Trick?
I know a lot of people have the same trouble.
Do you „big air“ boosting guys, really focus on abs-workout?
Hanging down from something and pulling up the legs?

For me this is a real issue, so serious answers are welcome....

Thanks a lot BR
Simon
I'm not sure how experienced you are or how well your jump mechanics are, so this may not apply to you. However, for me when I started trying to jump I thought I needed to do some kind of a hop off of the water (my technique was just bad) and I really tore up my abs to the point I could only ride back and forth. Once I improved my technique and realized that i needed to generate line tension before the jump and do a simple carve away from the kite at take off, then i stopped using my abs so much and everything improved hugely. Anton's learning to fly videos are seriously solid if you haven't already seen them and are interested to improve your jumping technique.
These users thanked the author bigairjim for the post (total 2):
matth (Thu May 13, 2021 3:07 am) • 1234567Simon (Sat May 29, 2021 1:40 am)
Rating: 6.06%

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu May 13, 2021 12:57 pm

^
Finally. On the money.

Advising some workouts, whatever, no need. Sure, as a temp measure it is ok.

But, OP needs to work on a technique. That is the only answer. U need to stomp the board, if u dont, u doing it wrong.

Stomping the board on flat water is the only way to jump with no much abs involved.

Stomp it!
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
1234567Simon (Sat May 29, 2021 1:41 am)
Rating: 3.03%

danlar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 62kg
Local Beach: Santa Marianita, Ecuador
Favorite Beaches: I have kited at: Peru (Paracas, Mancora), Bresil (Cumbuco), Dominican Republic (Cabarete, Las Terrenas), Grenadines (Union Island), USA (Hatteras, Tarpon Springs), Bahamas (Exuma), Greece (Paros, Lefkada),Turks & Caicos (Long Bay)
Style: freerider, freestyle
Gear: Evo SLS 8m 2022, Rebel 9m 2020, Dice SLS 11m 2022, Neo SLS 12m 2022, Juice 15m 2020, Shinn Bronq Luigi 135/41, Jaime SLS 142/43, Cabrinha surfboard Secret Weapon

Postby danlar » Thu May 13, 2021 1:12 pm

While learning jumping, I reaped an abs muscle 30%, that’s what the echo was reporting. It took a good 4 months to fully recover. I know I was forcing it too much, now I concentrate more on technique and be more relax.

Happy wind day all 😋🪁
These users thanked the author danlar for the post:
1234567Simon (Sat May 29, 2021 1:41 am)
Rating: 3.03%

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Sat May 29, 2021 2:11 am

Dear All;

I am sorry for my late answere.

Thank you very much for all your answeres: I really appriciate it a lot!

My conclusion:

I do not go kiting every weekend..... so if I go, I will go full power for a long long session.
This means with a twin tip, boosting (if I can even call my little jumps boosting), crashing and trying stupid stuff, every 30 seconds - for several hours

as I am in my mid 40th, I must admit to myself..... I am getting old....
it simply does not work out this way anymore.

thanks for all the honest answeres.

My strategy:
Take it more easy, don´t got too hard for too long. I also really enjoy going in small waves with a directional (this I can do for 4-5 hours a day).

Change my work-Out.
I tried a massive ab-workout. as soon as I stopped for 4 weeks, the effect was gone.
I will keep on doing this, but will change more to "Cross-fit", like jumping up stairs with both legs.
no idea if this will help
but I would like to simulate the explosive part of the take of. -> extended body, and then pull the legs back up.

I will start to strecht, on a regular base (in front of the TV). this is I think a big mistake I made.

most important: if i have pain in the abs, I will not push it with the twin tip.

working on the technic might be a good Idea.... but actually, after 3 hours of gooing "full power" it seems to be ok, to feel the muscles the next days....
but I will try to relax more

Thanks again
BR
Simon

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Sat May 29, 2021 2:29 am

1234567Simon wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:11 am
Change my work-Out.
I tried a massive ab-workout. as soon as I stopped for 4 weeks, the effect was gone.
I will keep on doing this, but will change more to "Cross-fit", like jumping up stairs with both legs.
no idea if this will help
but I would like to simulate the explosive part of the take of. -> extended body, and then pull the legs back up.
Since you've mentioned Crossfit - throw in a good session of toes-to-bar once or twice a week and ya'll be fine! :thumb:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat May 29, 2021 3:23 am

I haven't read all 40 million replays so maybe this has been covered.

Kite more and the sore abs go away as the body gets use to it.
If you cant kite more..... to boring ass ab workout until you die of boredum.

Or.... expect when you kite after not kiting for a while you will burn your abs.
That's what I do. I once kited 3-4 times a week. Abs were rock solid. No ab pain.

Now i'm every other week or so. If i do a boost session i burn my abs..... it is what it is.
PS I cant be arsed with death by sit ups.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat May 29, 2021 3:44 am

downunder wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:57 pm
Stomping the board on flat water is the only way to jump with no much abs involved.
Nah, it's your legs dangling under you, needing to be lifted up that's the issue.

When we could travel, I'd pretty much only TT back home, so the first day always produced sore abs. Being able to ride three or four times a week, it's pretty much a non-issue by the end of the second week.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat May 29, 2021 3:46 am

1234567Simon wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:11 am

working on the technic might be a good Idea.... but actually, after 3 hours of gooing "full power" it seems to be ok, to feel the muscles the next days....
but I will try to relax more

Thanks again
BR
Simon
Nature of the beast. If I need to be functional the day after, I just take some Voltaren. Otherwise, I just deal with it and hobble around.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun May 30, 2021 6:22 am

I am in my 50’s and I am lucky if I kite 3 days a week due to wind conditions and work constraints.

I agree that technique is important, watching video is helpful. However, I think that working your core at least 5 days a week will yield big dividends. Your core keeps you stable in the air, your whole kiting experience will benefit from a strong core. I personally do Pilates and Core Classes from Peloton that I stream to my TV. 45 to 60 minutes fatigues my abs, but also strengthens my lower back, legs, and a lot of small muscles. I also stretch my abs. I can kite for 4 to 5 hours and do hundreds of jumps without ab pain. When I was not working out, an hour of boosting would leave me sore.

I am not a fan of CrossFit for older people, the risk of injury is too high. What good is a workout if it keeps you off the water? Of course, you can hurt yourself even doing yoga, so let common sense prevail.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Sun May 30, 2021 12:11 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 6:22 am
I am in my 50’s and I am lucky if I kite 3 days a week due to wind conditions and work constraints.

I agree that technique is important, watching video is helpful. However, I think that working your core at least 5 days a week will yield big dividends. Your core keeps you stable in the air, your whole kiting experience will benefit from a strong core. I personally do Pilates and Core Classes from Peloton that I stream to my TV. 45 to 60 minutes fatigues my abs, but also strengthens my lower back, legs, and a lot of small muscles. I also stretch my abs. I can kite for 4 to 5 hours and do hundreds of jumps without ab pain. When I was not working out, an hour of boosting would leave me sore.

I am not a fan of CrossFit for older people, the risk of injury is too high. What good is a workout if it keeps you off the water? Of course, you can hurt yourself even doing yoga, so let common sense prevail.
The best way to avoid injuries whether it's jumping or not, is to increase the general level of fitness and strength. For this you need HIT sessions at least 3 times a week. Don't focus on spot training - abs in your case, compound exercises are the best. Ever wondered why Amazon tribesmen don't get injured? They do something strenuous every day. I'm injury-free for 10 years and jump 50 times every session. When I was young I got injured more often because my training was mostly spot training in the gym and weekend warrior on the water.

Return to “Kitesurfing”