Forum for kitesurfers
jedi1
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 15m light wind kites Juice/Turbine/Zypher

Postby jedi1 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:30 pm

ilboarder12 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:43 pm
for discussions sake, what about utilizing large single strut kites for lw? the ss ghost (15/17m) and naish boxer (14/16m) come to mind. sure they wont have the tractor pull like the turbine but much larger wind range versatility, easy relaunch and faster turning
Why would a single strut kite have a larger wind range?

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Rogue Wave, Switch, Windwing, Ozone, Fone
Brand Affiliation: Brands that are fun to ride
Has thanked: 0

Postby Xtream » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:43 pm

Well That's what I did. I picked up 17M Airush Ultra 3 , I have 3 2 hour ocean sessions on it since I got it, best light wind sessions I have had in 18 years of kiting, low wind to moderate conditions. I wont even mention what the guy on the beach told me his wind meter was reading because no one would believe it, not to mention there are way to many variables. I'm not going to want to be riding this kite in 18+ mph, that's for my 12M.
That being said this kite is fun to fly in low wind, with a TT or SB. I have been very satisfied with my choice and impressed by this kite. Kinda baffling as to why its not recommended more often.
Thanks again for all your input.
Mike

ilboarder12
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 90kg
Local Beach: no coast montucky
Style: kook
Gear: slingshooter
Been thanked: 0

Postby ilboarder12 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:16 pm

generalization of the experiences from single strut owners vs 'lw' specific kites . aspect ratios being typically lower on single struts. and the various marketing departments wind range graphs (if that can even be considered reliable)

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Rogue Wave, Switch, Windwing, Ozone, Fone
Brand Affiliation: Brands that are fun to ride

Postby Xtream » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:55 pm

ilboarder12 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:16 pm
generalization of the experiences from single strut owners vs 'lw' specific kites . aspect ratios being typically lower on single struts. and the various marketing departments wind range graphs (if that can even be considered reliable)
I don't the know aspect ratio, but it feels like a mid aspect type kite, it does not sit deep in the window, goes upwind great much better than my previous light wind 3 strut kite, jumps better and drifts better, literally everything I wanted in a light wind kite, weighs less than 8lbs. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the pulleys on the bridle, I have always preferred pulley less bridles.
I never considered a 1 strut kite for the reasons like limited wind range, lower aspect, difficult to drive upwind. All of this couldn't be further from the truth with this kite.

HALF
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Gear: 9m Cabrinha Radar (2016), 12m Reedin Supermodel(2020), 9m Flysurfer Speed5(2017), 14m Airush Ultra v2 (2019)

Postby HALF » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:40 pm

I have great experience with the airush ultra 14m as well, when the wind is good enough for it, it is a very very nice kite
at the beginning it was annoying the flapping, but after 1 hour of riding i never felt it again.

ilboarder12
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 90kg
Local Beach: no coast montucky
Style: kook
Gear: slingshooter
Been thanked: 0

Postby ilboarder12 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:06 pm

thats good to hear. just pulled the trigger on a 15m ghost for the fickle winds here in sw montana.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:08 pm

Strutless and single strut kites advantage in low winds is not at all only because of their low weight. They have a lot of lift area, thick LE/airfoil shape, a lot of build in AoA. Result is powerful grunty kite but upper end of wind range is usually compromised. I'd recommend these for heavy riders only because usable wind range can be too small for others

Return to “Kitesurfing”