Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

1.1mm Line Splicing steps - critique me please

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 1.1mm Line Splicing steps - critique me please

Postby OzBungy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:58 am

Those bury lengths don't really apply to kite lines. The lines are always locked into a lark's head knot so the knot is the thing bearing the load. You're never gong to get a straight pull loading the actual splice. That could only happen if you had a loop sitting on a rigid shackle or similar configuration.

Obviously you design the splice to the best standards you can but the individual parameters are not all that important in the scheme of things.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Herman » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:25 am

Good point Oz and I used to have exactly that mindset and it has not lead to any issues. However, I have recently modified this mindset after a recent test kindly done by one of the forum members. The test indicated that at least you do need a buried tail. If you don’t have a tail (ie a stopper knot) the strength of the larks head is drastically reduced, and I mean overhand knot levels of strength reduction.

Then if you consider the loop at the LH it is reasonable to assume 50% of the load is on the tail side, and of course if you allow for a scruffy made LH it could be 100% load on either side before slippage.

Of course it is reassuring to know that the LH will generate lots of friction and this helps with integrity but the tail is easy to do and so I would not neglect it if you want to achieve full strength for all scenarios. Having said that you only have to look at the recent test on the short bury on the new Naish bar thread to see a short sown bury working. Would not want to cause too much friction in this thread, seems to be enough of it going around already.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:29 am

Perfect splice thanks for sharing

watercamper
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 150
Local Beach: Gorge, lower Columbia river, La ventana
Style: TT, Surf, Foil
Gear: Naish, SS, LF, OR, Mystic, Ion
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby watercamper » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:42 am

I just wanted to update my post. I've got a little over 30 days on these lines now, many days with multiple sessions. Almost all are foiling in the 20 to 30 knot range - kite sizes generally 4, 5 or 6. I'm very happy. No issues to report.
These users thanked the author watercamper for the post:
Herman (Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:53 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Return to “Gear Builders”