Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Above the bar swivel replacement

Forum for kitesurfers
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Above the bar swivel replacement

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:30 am

[disclaimer] I don't recommend any modifications to your bar I have done for anyone, let alone beginners. I just prefer making my own lines and ended up with a few other mods.

My final Liquid Force above the bar swivel broke when I was facing backwards just after boosting a big frontoll in 18mph on a 12m kite and racefoil. Kicked the board away immediately and got as vertical as I could and suffered no damage probably 30 ft up I'd say.

I hated the switch swivel, it doesn't work under load. If you look at the switch swivel construction I can't imagine the strength is there either. I love the LF swivel, always worked for me until it failed. 2nd failure is enough for me as I jump constantly now. The plastic LF swivel design is a no go for me as I began thinking about a replacement. Both breaks were at the centerline of the plastic allowing the safety line to break thru.

I hydrofoil 90% of the time now so I use a Winchard 2673 instead of a chicken loop. It has worked flawless for me for 3 years. Never had an unintended release and always released when I pushed it away. I'm going to purchase another to avoid any wear related failures and use the older one on on my backup bar.

So with no below the bar swivel I need an above the bar swivel. Not to mention, it is glorious to do a bunch or rotations and never have to manually untwist your lines. I'm looking at the below linked product and wondering what anyone thinks and if they have any other ideas:
https://www.rockexotica.com/product/swi ... kle-swivel

I'm considering drilling two holes in the 3/8" bolt, then drill a chamfer and meticulously sand to remove any sharp edges to accept the center lines as seen in the brass pieces I have displayed in my pic. From what I read these swivels work better under load then not under load....https://youtu.be/I5m_i_huWOw?t=9

Thoughts?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Re: Above the bar swivel replacement

Postby edt » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:09 am

That has to be better than any swivel the kite companies make. Go for it

Sun
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Gear: 15m Chrono V2
12m Hyperlink
12m, 10m, 8m Dice (2018)
10m Roca V2
6m Alana (2016)
Naish Stomp 142
Nobile XTR
Nobile Zen Split Foil Board
Zeeko Blaster, Spitfire (Normal & XLW)

Postby Sun » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:12 am

First: Salt water is a bitch. I have my doubts that the rock climbing swivel will take well to such a corrosive environment. Bet it seizes soon.

Second: That thing is heavy. Very heavy. That is about TWO Go-Pros of mass just for the swivel. Ask the center mount line guys how fun it is adding that mass. Now double it. It will be a pain in light wind and especially if you have and wraps or tangles.

But I certainly support you trying so long as you report back!

drone
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Latvia's coast Beaches
Style: Freeride, foil, snow, ice.
Gear: FS, SS, LF, C, N, B.

Postby drone » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:35 am

Looks like heavy overkill. Why not

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:51 am

I use old SS "centre of the universe" above the bar swivels which I can simply reach up and rotate by hand. This is because I don't use a regular QR so the swivel is much closer to me. They don't automatically rotate but they don't seize up like Wainman (ceramic bearing) swivels do. Use them on Ozone V4 bars and splice my own trim lines no probs.
IMG_20210615_084854.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”