Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Florida kiting for beginners

Forum for kitesurfers
Soli
Rare Poster
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:33 pm
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 115 Lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0

Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Soli » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:12 pm

Hi everyone, I will be visiting Florida (Pompano / Ft. Lauderdale area) in September 2021. I'm a beginner kiter, at the waterstart phase, hoping to progress significantly by the time I'm there in September. I was reading on some sites about the many restrictions for Kiters in Florida.
Where would you recommend that I kite? I'm not looking for a resort but rather a place where I could rent the full equipment from and Kite on my own.
I have no limitations heading more south.
Any insight, recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated :D

User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 42423
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Has thanked: 403 times
Been thanked: 976 times
Contact:

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Toby » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:58 pm

the keys are great.

normally a bit more wind, but huge space with shallow water. Perfect for learning!
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
Soli (Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:52 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

User avatar
Topaz
Frequent Poster
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:32 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Topaz » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:11 am

Dania beach, south of the pier should be fine. The beach is wide and the locals are cool.

Lauderdale by the sea, right south of the pier at Commercial Blvd. The beach is wide and there's almost always someone riding.

North beach Fort Lauderdale, north of Sunrise Blvd, may work if you find someone there to help you launching and landing. With high tide the beach is a bit narrow, but not too bad. It may be crowded on weekends.

NE 16th at Pompano beach is probably a place to avoid, as it's usually quite crowded and parking is hard.

September will be a gamble wind wise. You may find some early cold fronts (20+ knots), but those are more likely to happen in October/November.
Or you may find summer conditions, which means almost no wind. Sometimes a 12knots thermal breeze in early afternoon.
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post:
Soli (Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:03 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Soli
Rare Poster
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:33 pm
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 115 Lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Soli » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:54 pm

Topaz wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:11 am
Dania beach, south of the pier should be fine. The beach is wide and the locals are cool.

Lauderdale by the sea, right south of the pier at Commercial Blvd. The beach is wide and there's almost always someone riding.

North beach Fort Lauderdale, north of Sunrise Blvd, may work if you find someone there to help you launching and landing. With high tide the beach is a bit narrow, but not too bad. It may be crowded on weekends.

NE 16th at Pompano beach is probably a place to avoid, as it's usually quite crowded and parking is hard.

September will be a gamble wind wise. You may find some early cold fronts (20+ knots), but those are more likely to happen in October/November.
Or you may find summer conditions, which means almost no wind. Sometimes a 12knots thermal breeze in early afternoon.
Thanks so much for the detailed info! Extremely helpful! Let's hope September is chilly enough :)

Soli
Rare Poster
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:33 pm
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 115 Lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Soli » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:55 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:58 pm
the keys are great.

normally a bit more wind, but huge space with shallow water. Perfect for learning!
Thanks much for replying :))

User avatar
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9041
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:00 am
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Location: Florida
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby RickI » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:33 pm

If you are looking to rent gear, in most cases you will need to go with the school/concession doing the renting out of liability concerns. They don't exist to my knowledge in Dania, Ft. Lauderdale or Pompano. Outfits that can help you out that come to mind include https://adventuresportsusa.com/ at Matheson Hammock in Miami, https://www.southfloridakiteboarding.com on the flats offshore from Miami, https://othersideboardsports.com in the Florida Keys. If you bring your own gear and are still learning, it is best to avoid crowds and places with heavy restrictions like designated launch corridors.
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
Soli (Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:03 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

User avatar
JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:54 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Pearl City
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:07 pm

September is the peak of hurricane season. As a beginner do not venture out in tropical storm conditions.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
Soli (Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:03 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:18 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras and Maui
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, Cloud 9 Foils, Neil Pryde Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Jimmy Lewis kite surfboard, Slingshot skim.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby RadDrDuke » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:47 pm

Othersideboardsports.com in the Florida Keys is the spot. East coast of florida and especially SE Florida is bad for beginners (relatively deep right offshore, lots of beachgoers who will sue you, lots of restrictions that will fine you). Go to the keys and get out in the shallow flat water plus you get to experience the keys which are fascinating
These users thanked the author RadDrDuke for the post:
Soli (Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:03 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Soli
Rare Poster
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:33 pm
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 115 Lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Soli » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:58 pm

RickI wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:33 pm
If you are looking to rent gear, in most cases you will need to go with the school/concession doing the renting out of liability concerns. They don't exist to my knowledge in Dania, Ft. Lauderdale or Pompano. Outfits that can help you out that come to mind include https://adventuresportsusa.com/ at Matheson Hammock in Miami, https://www.southfloridakiteboarding.com on the flats offshore from Miami, https://othersideboardsports.com in the Florida Keys. If you bring your own gear and are still learning, it is best to avoid crowds and places with heavy restrictions like designated launch corridors.
Thanks a lot for the info. Unfortunately I'm not coming with my own gear since I'm traveling internationally, so I'll have to rent out the entire thing.

Soli
Rare Poster
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:33 pm
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 115 Lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Soli » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:59 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:07 pm
September is the peak of hurricane season. As a beginner do not venture out in tropical storm conditions.
Thank you. I will certainly keep that in mind.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 159 guests