Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Florida kiting for beginners

Forum for kitesurfers
Soli
Rare Poster
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:33 pm
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 115 Lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Soli » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:00 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:58 pm
the keys are great.

normally a bit more wind, but huge space with shallow water. Perfect for learning!
Any specific location you would recommend?

Soli
Rare Poster
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:33 pm
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 115 Lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Soli » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:02 pm

RadDrDuke wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:47 pm
Othersideboardsports.com in the Florida Keys is the spot. East coast of florida and especially SE Florida is bad for beginners (relatively deep right offshore, lots of beachgoers who will sue you, lots of restrictions that will fine you). Go to the keys and get out in the shallow flat water plus you get to experience the keys which are fascinating
Truly appreciate the info. That's what I was worried about, the beach goers but especially the restrictions. Sounds so complicated to enjoy Kiting over there ...😳

User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 42861
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Has thanked: 417 times
Been thanked: 1066 times
Contact:

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:04 pm

Soli wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:00 pm
Toby wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:58 pm
the keys are great.

normally a bit more wind, but huge space with shallow water. Perfect for learning!
Any specific location you would recommend?

Have a look here:

https://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/count ... +%28USA%29

Tugnin
Rare Poster
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 9:12 am
Gear: Ozone - Bandit -Mitu
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Tugnin » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:09 am

Which could be a good month to foil around the Keys?
November? December?
Is water deep enough to foil ?

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:18 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras and Maui
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, Cloud 9 Foils, Neil Pryde Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Jimmy Lewis kite surfboard, Slingshot skim.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:18 pm

If you are good at foiling (ie. can ride high over knee deep areas etc) then you can foil all around in the keys, problem is the launches. 99% of the waterfront is private and there are very few beaches in general.

November can be okay, December can be good. It's variable but with a foil you will definitely get some sessions and if there is no wind you can dive or fish or just drink at a run down fishing bar on the mangroves which is just as good!

Call Otherside boardsports and they can help you out.

User avatar
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9049
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:00 am
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Location: Florida
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby RickI » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:19 pm

I would avoid the mainland if you have a choice and hit the area from Biscayne Bay down through the Keys. You will need to hook up with a school or coach to have gear provided in most cases. Several suggestions have been made for operations in those areas. You will learn faster and easier in the calmer waters to be found in those areas vs. the unsheltered coastal areas off the mainland parts of SE Florida. Waves are fun once you are on your game but they will slow you down if you are still learning. Then there are all the access issues and upwind riding requirements at many of the mainland spots.
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
Soli (Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:57 am)
Rating: 6.67%

bkkite
Frequent Poster
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:45 pm
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay (Long Island)
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 7/9/12/15. Nobile NHP and Nobile split surf / foil board. Slingshot hover glide foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby bkkite » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:38 pm

Most places won’t rent gear without lessons, just FYI. Maybe bring kites and harness and rent boards?

I think it was mike from other side boardsports down in the keys, he’s really nice and super chill. Went out for a lesson with him once and he’s a great teacher, and then a few years later he rented me a light wind surfboard
These users thanked the author bkkite for the post:
Soli (Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:56 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Soli
Rare Poster
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:33 pm
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 115 Lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Soli » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:58 am

RickI wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:19 pm
I would avoid the mainland if you have a choice and hit the area from Biscayne Bay down through the Keys. You will need to hook up with a school or coach to have gear provided in most cases. Several suggestions have been made for operations in those areas. You will learn faster and easier in the calmer waters to be found in those areas vs. the unsheltered coastal areas off the mainland parts of SE Florida. Waves are fun once you are on your game but they will slow you down if you are still learning. Then there are all the access issues and upwind riding requirements at many of the mainland spots.

This is very helpful. Thanks for the info!

Soli
Rare Poster
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:33 pm
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 115 Lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Soli » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:59 am

bkkite wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:38 pm
Most places won’t rent gear without lessons, just FYI. Maybe bring kites and harness and rent boards?

I think it was mike from other side boardsports down in the keys, he’s really nice and super chill. Went out for a lesson with him once and he’s a great teacher, and then a few years later he rented me a light wind surfboard
That's what I'll do. Thank you!

User avatar
Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:32 pm
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 170
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 6M/8M/11M/14M.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Tony in FL » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:58 pm

Note that June - September is considered the off season for kiteboarding in Florida. With that being said, the Tampa area has some nice kiteboarding spots with respect to shallow water - for example the Skyway and Fort Desoto. It has a large kiteboarding community and multiple shops with kiteboarding gear. And there are plenty of local instructors.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 49 guests