Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Water mellon with and without helmet drops "test"

Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2898
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: Water mellon with and without helmet drops "test"

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:06 am

PullStrings wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:09 pm
What we see in video is mostly stupid sh*t that people are trying to do.
Mostly? So some of those vids are a genuine accidents, equipment failures, and unforeseen wind events?


PullStrings wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:09 pm
So many pilot errors.
There is no possible way to reduce pilot errors to zero in any given group of kiters.


PullStrings wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:09 pm
Huge majority without helmets.
Duh! That's the point that my side has been making.



PullStrings wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:09 pm
No head injuries / fatalily
Yeah, most videos of squished out brains are kept off of youtube out of respect for the deceased kiters family, or because they get demonetized. Makes sense to me. And ya know, the deceased's family probably is trying to move on and doesn't want to be told that thier kiter loved one wouldn't have been saved with a helmet because they would have just pushed it harder with a helmet on, or died of neck strain or whiplash.



PullStrings wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:09 pm
Pointless videos
Proves that people go in too much wind with too big a kite doing stuff they should not do.
Yes, conservatism....... I'm not there yet. Betcha the Leganioux brothers aren't either. Most of us are walking a fine line between safety and danger. Ignoring the danger, and zero cost efforts you could make to mitigate it, is not "living dangerously". Nor does it bear any resemblance to playing it safe. It's just plain stupid.



PullStrings wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:09 pm
Mr. V you are lame
I don't belive you since a few posts ago, you told me that you valued my take on things over video evidence. Therefore, it is obvious that we both hold eachother in high esteem.

thekitemonster
Rare Poster
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 pm
Local Beach: Belmont Shore (Long Beach CA)
Favorite Beaches: Waddel Creek
Style: Foil, waves
Gear: Surfboards and 2016 Moses 550/325
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Water mellon with and without helmet drops "test"

Postby thekitemonster » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:09 am

Matt is not lame. I know him. Matt is the nicest guy at the launch, he would help you if you needed anything before getting himself on the water. Same goes for Fred. And trust me, whatever you need he's got it. It's all there in his little home/van. All you you helmet haters should be ashamed of yourselves, although he doesn't seem to mind your abuses. Yes Matt has severe Male Pattern Baldness and looks much better in a helmet, so let's just let that be. We won't take it personally when he shames us for not wearing our helmets. We don't trust his judgement, we have our reasons. Mid Western folk are practical. Why wouldn't you wear a helmet? There's no points for style driving a tractor around a beet farm. Cover that dome Matteo V!

thekitemonster
Rare Poster
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 pm
Local Beach: Belmont Shore (Long Beach CA)
Favorite Beaches: Waddel Creek
Style: Foil, waves
Gear: Surfboards and 2016 Moses 550/325
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Water mellon with and without helmet drops "test"

Postby thekitemonster » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:32 am

Having said all that, Fred's watermelon test was enough for me. I just kited 4 hours straight in grinding Southern Hemisphere swell without one but I'm gonna find that darn thing and I'm gonna wear it. My launches all got rocks downwind. That famous Star Wars Villain guy who head butted rocks at Topanga? Yep. Dead on the scene. I never wear a helmet there, not even when I foil. I taught myself to let go of the bar instead of doing the Superman Lawn Dart, I make my own rig it's got 2 feet of throw. Beats formaldehyde in your veins. Let it go!!!

But after seeing that watermelon explode like the Ghost of Galager ...hey it can't hurt to put that helmet on. "The wind in my hair": how cliche. Now where did I put that thing?
Last edited by thekitemonster on Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author thekitemonster for the post:
Matteo V (Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:11 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

User avatar
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2529
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Perth, Australia
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: Water mellon with and without helmet drops "test"

Postby downunder » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:08 am

So u just spent 4hrs ON the water and not scared of death loop but scared of getting in and out which takes a few mins?

See? Im not scaring u of death loop, which might happen anytime in 4hrs. What u are scared of is THAT few mins, which might also happen btw, true that.

Thats like being scared of flying because of landing/launching. Sure it is the most dangerous time for a plane. But planes do explode in midflight too. And for that, helmet does not help.

Helmet, as mentioned, pushes some ppl to do stupid things. Including myself. If we all wear it, more ppl would do stupid things. The proof is everywhere. Remember, we are trying to cheat death. Not because of technology, but because of the trust. We trust our airbags, or techology. Even tho people die all the time WITH the airbags and from the technology.

This is visible in the US. Correct? U have guns, we dont. Somehow ppl here do not shoot other people. Not because they do not want to. But simply there are no guns available. Give them one, and will be like in NZ. We trust our system so in last 30y did not happen.

Give everyone a helmet, and ppl would be like invincible. No? Good luck with no. Just like good luck with the guns.

Or put a helmet on and jump off a plane with no chute. Or a melon if scared of death. it is absurd to think that helmet will save u. Usually ppl who are scared end up brain dead in the bathroom by hitting the head.

What u are also ignorant off is when a boxer hits a person, that is a blackout for the most ppl. Now, when we trip, most likely we faceplant. And that is also a blackout. This is exactly how our buddy died...

Simply put more people break necks and die with diving into the water. Or drown. Not many die by hitting a head on a public pool.

User avatar
GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:16 pm
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core Distributor
Location: Folkestone Kent UK
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 15 times
Contact:

Re: Water mellon with and without helmet drops "test"

Postby GraemeF » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:31 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:52 pm
GraemeF wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:16 pm
Not sure what to derive from this thread other than a recipe for watermelon lasagne from Iriejohns Mrs (That's a surprise to me that a woman even married him), but as to advice from a long termer who has always been against Helmets being mandatory for watersports, purely on a freedom of choice basis. I rode Motorcyles prior to 1967 when the law came in enforcing helmet use and we often rode without locally but chose to use them only for distance or if we were likely to be opening up. I waterski raced but only used the helmet either in training or actually racing when speeds were between 50 and 80 mph back then and you wouldn't pass scrutiny without a helmet and it had to be vented to avoid bucketing. I rarely used one windsurfing except on a tandem when racing and I do use one now kiting by choice since I did smash head first into the promenade wall without one and have slightly reduced motor skills as a result.

But after all this I still feel it should be your choice wether to or not, unless it's some form of competition and some one could get sued because of your actions to others or yourself.

Oh and if you're baldylocks you can look a tad younger in a helmet.
As a matter of accuracy the UK's "Motor Cycles (Wearing of Helmets) Regulations 1973" was put into effect that year.

Your poor memory is undoubtedly the result of smashing your head into the promenade wall so allowances should be made for you because, as you say, you can't help being a bit slow. :-?
Well lucky I have some carers in the comunity like you, to help the aged. You are of course correct 1967 brought in that other curtailing of personal freedom, the breathalyser making it really difficult to drink whilst riding bikes something I've totally struggled to come to terms with.
As to the rest as I said I'm a firm believer in personal choice, so it should be up to y'all to make your own decision and based on your personal experiences, mine of course was compounded by the fact there were no release mechanisms, little depower, four line kites and wrist leashes. Indeed it was searching for what others were working on that bought me to this forum back in the day and folk like me put pressure on the likes of North and Slingshot to do something about making the sport less dangerous, Cabrinha lost their US importer in a similar accident the same year, 2002.
It is less dangerous these days, BUT, the wind ain't, it can still as it did in my case suddenly shift and dramatically increase in velocity so your kite goes from windows edge to dead centre of the window and off you go. If you survive the first bounce, you do at least have the release, which I would venture to suggest a helmet would increase your chances of remaining concious on the first bounce so you can react.
But whatever as with bike helmets I'd still rather be able to choose than have them forced upon me as occurred in '73 (Still didn't stop me forgetting one day last summer and riding my scrambler down the beach in a BBcap forgetfully, yep, another snr moment.)

User avatar
jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1960
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:36 pm
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 614 times

Re: Water mellon with and without helmet drops "test"

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:52 pm

Seem to recall all that came after your vehemently anti kite phase.

Maybe your memory doesn't go that far back anymore.

Sarda
Medium Poster
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:04 pm
Gear: Bit of everything
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Water mellon with and without helmet drops "test"

Postby Sarda » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:47 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:47 pm
Sarda wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:27 pm
I expect 70 % on initial purchase of magic cliff diving helmets and 10% on repeat custom for the lead, negotiable?

Do cliff divers have long and interesting careers if they don't check their local for depth and submerged hazards?

What other remote hazards may exist in a drama queen's, chicken little' or Henny Penny's universe?

For sure! moray eels, big problem? Back in the day, some cliff diving tramp I was down the mines with in outer Mongolia lost his thumb to one, couldn't activate his go pro? Wouldn't have happened with "magic helmet" let that be a lesson to you!

What is it like being a victim to decades long grooming and influences of unscrupulous for profit business practices eventually resulting in a general lack of knowledge/understanding and standards?



Would that require the knowing and the understanding that you are in fact "the victim"?

Is that likely?

Can these practices be considered as "best practices" ?
Why not?

How it is detrimental to any positive qualities the item may possess. In this case a helmet?

Can it be improved upon?
Can improvements be built on misleading attributes?
And, man, ya gotta stop with everything being a question because this is how I'm starting to read your posts...



If that don't make you self conscious, nothing will.

Are you crying out for attention big boy?
Would it be possible to be self conscious in your sphere of "influence"
Why is that?

Do cliff divers wear helmets?
Are sea urchins the real problem?
Was that an attempt at deflection?
Why is that?

Are you fixating on addressing effect rather than cause?
Do you fixate a lot?
Are you fixated on helmets and "pulling your quick release"?
Do you mention "pulling your quick release" often?

Why not the arms/hands/wrists (used primarily in shielding and higher likelihood of injury)?

Can you "function" (since the standard these days seems to be push) a QR with both arms/wrists etc broken in the unlikely event (flapping like a seal, more than 1 documented case) not limited to probability of event happening to some more than others?

Are you sending out mixed messages?

Are you confused?
Do you identify with the great character in my opinion "Stewie" from family guy?

Is the Stewie character "A highly precocious toddler, a Megalomaniacal sociopath, obsessed with violence, matricide and world domination" ?
Is he bisexual?
Is that you?

Is "pulling your quick release" a metaphor for you?
Is it something you like to do while watching crash videos?

Is there a term for this?

Do you prefer "cruising" behind a kite or kite forums?

Is that why you are here?

Is that what you mean when you say kiteforum.com is for "big boys and girls"
Do you regard yourselfas one of "big boys"? (In an ocean of about 20 users worldwide)

How's all of this working out for you?
Are you going to break free of the confined closet of decades of grooming?
Is this you taking a risk?
What is your reward?

Why do questions annoy you?
Can't answer any?
Too proud?
Not enough drama?


You are not Stewie from family guy!

All better now?

Do you need professional help?

Can you answer using only investment terminology?

Maybe in Olde English since playing Knight in all your shining armour on a crusade seems to be your "thing"?
Gauntlets, where are they?

Back in the day when I was down the mines in bolivia, gauntlets!

Is it relevant?
Are you?
These users thanked the author Sarda for the post:
Matteo V (Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:15 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:54 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: Water mellon with and without helmet drops "test"

Postby PullStrings » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:01 pm

Mr. High S steam V

About the 3rd video

The guy pumping in high wind then the runaway kite.

Personally i took the leash off the pump.

Instead it is attached firmly to a heavy sandbag.

So if i'm pumping my 6m kite in 35kn no chance it will do that.

Also....

On same video the guy up the light pole.

He was quick to QR but not able to unleash from kite still pulling.

He just could not reach behind his back to disconnect.

Crazy stuff.
Lucky to be alive.
Definitely a helmet situation HEADing directly towards vertical obstacles nearby at full speed.

We wear short leash on side of harness and practice to push it away before each session to make sure it works.

We do it without looking.

User avatar
Greenturtle
Frequent Poster
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 6:51 pm
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Water mellon with and without helmet drops "test"

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:29 pm

The risk in an open water scenario is mostly from the BOARD. If I was to get hit by the edge of my tt in the head Id rather be wearing my helmet. If you cant imagine how your board might hit your head, you have a lack of imagination.

Personally, I kite around a lot of rock wave breakers and the water often has wood in it floating around, so adding that all up, with the additional possibility of taking the board to the head, I wear a helmet.

When I travel however, often the helmet doesn’t make the cut, and I have no issue going without, and I don’t do anything different on the water. Im not here to say everyone should wear one all the time, or ever if thats what they want to do. I mean look at all the people skateboarding, biking etc etc etc without helmets. Their choice.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:46 pm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Water mellon with and without helmet drops "test"

Postby vannibombonato » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:45 pm

downunder wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:08 am
So u just spent 4hrs ON the water and not scared of death loop but scared of getting in and out which takes a few mins?

See? Im not scaring u of death loop, which might happen anytime in 4hrs. What u are scared of is THAT few mins, which might also happen btw, true that.

Thats like being scared of flying because of landing/launching. Sure it is the most dangerous time for a plane. But planes do explode in midflight too. And for that, helmet does not help.

Helmet, as mentioned, pushes some ppl to do stupid things. Including myself. If we all wear it, more ppl would do stupid things. The proof is everywhere. Remember, we are trying to cheat death. Not because of technology, but because of the trust. We trust our airbags, or techology. Even tho people die all the time WITH the airbags and from the technology.

This is visible in the US. Correct? U have guns, we dont. Somehow ppl here do not shoot other people. Not because they do not want to. But simply there are no guns available. Give them one, and will be like in NZ. We trust our system so in last 30y did not happen.

Give everyone a helmet, and ppl would be like invincible. No? Good luck with no. Just like good luck with the guns.

Or put a helmet on and jump off a plane with no chute. Or a melon if scared of death. it is absurd to think that helmet will save u. Usually ppl who are scared end up brain dead in the bathroom by hitting the head.

What u are also ignorant off is when a boxer hits a person, that is a blackout for the most ppl. Now, when we trip, most likely we faceplant. And that is also a blackout. This is exactly how our buddy died...

Simply put more people break necks and die with diving into the water. Or drown. Not many die by hitting a head on a public pool.
Nice theory. Smart. So the more safety measures we have, the more people will be taking risks, resulting in more accidents and injuries.

So go ahead with your theory and grab a bar from 10 years ago without a quick release. According to your theory you will be much more safer :roll:


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 154 guests