Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Finally ordered a foil set

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Finally ordered a foil set

Postby HALF » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:11 pm

I was thinking to do it since long, however money was an issue. Now i sold my 15 fs soul, and ordered these two as a set
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/produit/gon ... ille=44-fr
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/produit/gon ... ver-alu-m/

I do have a foil board however it is a foil surf board with no straps, so decided to get a board with straps so i don't make my life unnecessarily harder while learning.

I was going to ask if someone has experience with these two models but they seem too new. I hope i did the right choice to learn on.

Now time to find myself a helmet, and hopefully next month i can start the journey to learn something new, learning new things is the most fun you can have!

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Finally ordered a foil set

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:28 pm

HALF wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:11 pm
..... learning new things is the most fun you can have!
+1 :thumb: Enjoy the journey!

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:55 pm

Looks like a good priced Board and Foil set up. GONG are extremely good at shaping, so should work well. especially if you are mid weight range.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:31 am

I have the same foil, got it 10 days ago and I'm a total beginner from strapless to foil as well.

Im interested to see how you get on. The wing is slow enough not to be scary, besides getting used to dragging the thing trough water and handling it its been a pretty fun few sessions.

I would go out in about 12 knots and if you have an inland spot without waves that helps. I was foiling about 10 seconds my very first half hour. My 3rd session I could foil long distances, but only to one side somehow.
My normal side with snowboarding and surfing is somehow harder on a foil, I've not figured out why.

When you get the foil, check the rubber plugs in the mast on the fuselage side because its not always installed correct and it will leak water in the mast making the setup heavy in the water. The rubber plugs should be flat when you look inside the mast with a flashlight. Other than that I'm impressed with the quality for the price.
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:
HALF (Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:10 am)
Rating: 3.03%

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:15 pm

One question to the more experienced people, which kite should i use when learning in 13-16 knots?
FS Speed5 9m
Cabrinha Radar 9m
Supermodel 12m
Airush ultra 14m

i see people look at small kites while foiling, but i am not sure if it is easier to learn on a bigger kite?

I am 84kg

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:27 pm

HALF wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:15 pm
One question to the more experienced people, which kite should i use when learning in 13-16 knots?
FS Speed5 9m
Cabrinha Radar 9m
Supermodel 12m
Airush ultra 14m

i see people look at small kites while foiling, but i am not sure if it is easier to learn on a bigger kite?

I am 84kg
When learning, ride a kite that's one size down from the one you'd choose for twintip. You don't want to be over-powered on your foilboard, but when learning, you want enough lift to make it easy to get up on your wing without working the kite. As you get more efficient, you'll be able to choose smaller kites with your foil.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:22 pm

I think I would go with the 12m for the first couple sessions, but you'll use the 9m for those winds in short order. Eventually that could be 7m weather depending on how you wanna ride.

I think you're gold with that foil and board. Definitely nothing there to hold you back. I would put gong right up at the top of my list if I were shopping.

Things I've learned. First and foremost, don's muscle your gear. Maneuvering the board in the water and getting it set up on edge for waterstart can be done with almost no effort, but at the beginning I just muscled it up with and elbow and one strap. Had some notable forearm strain from it in the early going and really, it just shortens your sessions due to fatigue. No need to make work fighting with your board. Your gonna be tired out soon enough from being so tense legged anyway.

The board and foil can be manipulated easily once you learn to swim it around and onto it's side. You angle the mast to get the foil to swim up to the surface. I find it easiest to maneuver around by pushing and sinking the rear corner of the board.

At first, especially with a bigger kite, it can be difficult to get the kite to climb in the window. It stays low, you have it sheeted way out, but your picking up speed just trying to keep it off the water. You will want to get it up in the window so you can point upwind kill some power. I initially tried to do it gradually with only the top hand on the bar. Problem with that is that every bit of turn input also serves to sheet in and power up, which lead to death runs. Instead of trying to creep a 12m up to 45 degrees, give it a hard impulse yank on the top of the bar to pivot the kite, then it will climb even when sheeted out. Once you get sick of doing this, you can rig a smaller kite.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
HALF (Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:49 pm)

ieism
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:11 pm

I'd add that at first you will probably have trouble keeping the foil from taking off directly after the waterstart. This wing has a lot of lift at slow speed, and if you are not used to it you will not keep it down. Try starting and once the nose doesn't dive and you are moving immediately pull your back foot forward about 10 cm or 4 inches. This gives you a little more time to properly weight the front leg and get your balance right.

Wear booties your first few sesssions at least. You will be kicking the foil becasue it's a handfull to handle and its sharp...
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:24 pm

For me it finally worked with a 12m in wind that I would have plenty fun with twin tip and 12m (or directional and 9m)

Don‘t even think about „powerdiving“ the kite to get you out of the water)
These users thanked the author 1234567Simon for the post:
HALF (Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:50 pm)

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:41 pm

HALF wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:15 pm
FS Speed5 9m
Cabrinha Radar 9m
Supermodel 12m
Airush ultra 14m

I am 84kg
Personally, in around 13 - 16 knots & with that size wing, I would suggest the 9m Radar. I'm surprised people are suggesting a 12m. When they were learning they were probably using 500 - 700 cm2 wings.

My tip: when water starting I usually (carefully) each out & put my foot on the wing. This prevents you from bashing your ankles on the foil as you locate the foil & stabilize it. I then push against the wing while pulling on the top of the board in order to pivot the board on its side.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:

Return to “Hydrofoil”